Which current politician represents you and how would they do if they ran in 08.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:57:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Which current politician represents you and how would they do if they ran in 08.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which current politician represents you and how would they do if they ran in 08.  (Read 3667 times)
MissCatholic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2005, 10:51:06 AM »

Mine is Senator Mary Landrieu (D-Louisiana)

I first met her in her campaign for the 2002 senate. i was living with friends in Baton Rouge and the more i began to understand what she stood for the more i admired her. Her lines on children, family hit home what she stands for on the issue of adoption

"theres no unwanted child, just unfound families"

"governments do many things well, but raising children is not one of them"

"Many things we need can wait, the child cannot. To him we cannot say tomorrow. His name is today."

One of the reasons that she won her seat in 2002 despite bushs policies was that she focused on children. she also believes that all people in the medical profession including nurses should get involved in politics as it is only them that understand whats right and wrong about healthcare in america.

She has good people around her. her commercial in 2002 hit home

His mother walked into his room and said, "Wake up, son. It's time to go to school."

"But why, Mom? I don't want to go."

"Give me two reasons why you don't want to go."

"Well, all the kids hate me for one, and the teachers hate me, too!"

"Oh, that's no reason not to go to school. Come on now and get ready."

"Give me two reasons why I should go to school!"

"Well, for one, you are 52 years old, and for another you're the Principal!"

But it hit home the message that their class walls crumbling, their classrooms are overcrowded, they feel unsafe, or worse still, they are not learning.  Since she has been a senator Louisiana has gone from 12th to 5th in improving teaching quality. another good point.

She has publicly criticised Bush many times on his education policy. in a recent speech in the senate she said

"If the promise of No Child Left Behind is to be fulfilled, we must not only continue the reforms begun under NCLB, we must fully invest in them. Since we made the commitment to go in this new direction, this Administration has left States to deal with $26.4 billion shortfall in education funding. While investments in education without accountability are a waste of tax-payer dollars, accountability without strategic investments in education are a waste of time. As a member of the committee on Appropriations, I will do whatever is necessary to ensure that our schools have the tools they need to help every child."

One thing she does do well with liberals and conservatives is her environement policy. not noly is she keen on environmental responibility in OCS. But she recognises the benefits that the oil and gas could give to the states. She has publicly criticited American senators andcongressmen for not giving the money that the state deserves for the amount of oil it provides Americans. She was one senator that did vote for the drilling of anwar.

I really wanted her to be Senate Minority leader. her quotes from the budget i think hit home the democraitc message..

"In this year’s budget, President Bush has a new plan to reduce the federal debt – he will shift the cost of his decisions to the state and local governments and the children and grandchildren he swore to protect four years ago. Instead of proposing real solutions to real problems, he uses budget tricks and gimmicks to mask what needs to be done.
The reality is this: health care costs are out of control and the number of people without insurance is growing; America’s workers are feeling the squeeze of foreign competition; and approximately 20,000 elementary and secondary schools are in need of improvement. Token increases and shell games will not provide real solutions to these important issues, and while ignoring them might save us a dollar today, inaction will cost us much more tomorrow"

I  think she would be a great vp pick for someone like Bayh, who could defend his conservatism with her own stances and she can provide the moral clarity of catholics like myslef who are democrats that believe abortion is a sin.

Like any senator you could cherry pick votes. but mary has a good record. She is consistent and knows the rules of the senate. whatever happens though, i`ll support her.

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 11:01:23 AM »

Probably, John Edwards.  But for obvious reasons I'll be supporting someone like Mark Warner or Evan Bayh.
MissCatholic

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 11:11:11 AM »

Were disappointed in what John Edwards actually offered the ticket. i dont think he got one extra vote.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 11:17:05 AM »

I would have to say Joe Biden, but I will probably be supporting Hillary Clinton, since my psychotic...I mean psychic step-dad has predicted that she will be the next president of the United States and he has been right about every election since I've known him. JK. I'll be supporting Mark Warner. I wasn't joking about my psychic step-dad though.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 11:21:28 AM »

Joe Lieberman or Harry Reid.  But Lieberman doesn't have a chance and I doubt Reid will run.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 12:57:01 PM »

Were disappointed in what John Edwards actually offered the ticket. i dont think he got one extra vote.

Without John Edwards on the ticket Kerry would have lost in a landslide.  Edwards held the ticket together.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 01:17:06 PM »

Probably Russ Feingold. If he ran in 2008, he would probably finish 3rd or 4th in the primary.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 03:34:26 PM »

Is there a politician currently holding office who is a passionate advocate for legalization of prostitution and drugs?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 03:46:42 PM »

A DLCer like Bayh or Warner combined with a liberal like Feingold is a good recipe.

PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 03:54:18 PM »

Chuck Grassley won't run in 2008, and that's a pitty.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 03:57:14 PM »

Without John Edwards on the ticket Kerry would have lost in a landslide.  Edwards held the ticket together.

You see, it's comments like that make me wonder whether I should take you seriously in a political conversation.  Smiley

Edwards may be the most overrated (now hasbeen) ever.  His overall effect to the Kerry campaign was no greater and maybe worse than your standard VP candidate.  His "Two Americas" shtick was boring and regressive and honestly most people still view him as being an inexperienced kid (I happen to be one of them).

Anyways, the candidate who probably represents me the best is someone like a John Breaux, Phil Bredesen or a Ben Nelson.  And none of them will run and none of them will win the nomination, esp. in the present-day Dem. environment.

Hillary Clinton will win the Democrat nomination, just as an FYI.  It's already ordained, as JR Brown says.  She'll probably win the election too, though there are a few Republicans who could certainly give her a run for her money.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2005, 04:02:54 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2005, 04:12:00 PM by nickshepDEM »

You see, it's comments like that make me wonder whether I should take you seriously in a political conversation.  Smiley

Well, in my opinion w/o John Edwards, Kerry would have at least lost Wisconsin.  Ill have to dig up the actual data, but I remember seeing a political report that showed each visit paid by John Edwards in rural areas caused the Bush margin in that area to go down as opposed to going up when Kerry visited those areas.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2005, 05:53:56 PM »

Is there a politician currently holding office who is a passionate advocate for legalization of prostitution and drugs?

Might want to start a draft campaign for NAMBLA's chairman or maybe gte Wacko Jacko to run.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 06:43:19 PM »

Fortunately not.  You have to wonder about even the possibility of your views becoming popular when not a single elected official agrees with you.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 12:13:43 AM »

Hillary Clinton represents me, and she'd probably, and unfortunately, do rather well in '08.

EDIT:  Ohhhhh...represent as in "represents my political views," not "represents my constituency..."
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 12:23:25 AM »

Right now I wouldn't be too upset with Lieberman as president, but I'll be supporting the top moderate Dem come '08.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 12:55:54 AM »

Right now I wouldn't be too upset with Lieberman as president, but I'll be supporting the top moderate Dem come '08.

I will second that.  I would also be happy with a Feingold candidacy
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 01:05:53 AM »

Ironically, probably Ron Paul (R-TX).

Also, why are you all hoping for Feingold? He just got divorced - he won't be married! There's no way he could possibly win.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 01:11:26 AM »

Also, why are you all hoping for Feingold? He just got divorced - he won't be married! There's no way he could possibly win.

Although it was 150 years ago, James Buchanan was a bachelor. Also, Reagan and Kerry were divorced, and I'm too young to remember Reagan, but Kerry's divorce wasn't an issue during the campaign
skybridge
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 02:57:06 AM »

Probably Ralph Nader. But I'll end up supporting Russ Feingold or maybe Evan Bayh.
skybridge
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 02:58:35 AM »

Although it was 150 years ago, James Buchanan was a bachelor. Also, Reagan and Kerry were divorced, and I'm too young to remember Reagan, but Kerry's divorce wasn't an issue during the campaign

Also, this happened only roughly 120 years ago, Grover Cleveland actually got married in the White House (the only president to do so) and had his child there too!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 03:08:39 AM »

The top vote getter for any candidate in one state in one election in US history.

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 03:25:45 AM »

The top vote getter for any candidate in one state in one election in US history.

Um, California is the biggest state...
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2005, 03:32:42 AM »

Ralph Nader, Barbara Boxer, and Russ Feingold.  the first two obviously won't stand a chance if they run in 2008.  as for Feingold, had he not had his second divorce, he could have made it to the presidency.  as it is, not one of them will make it. 

which leaves my second choice -Evan Bayh- as my only viable option at this point. 

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2005, 03:34:00 AM »

Um, California is the biggest state...

So? She's beaten everyone's 1 state total by at least a million votes, except Kerry 2004 in CA.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies