So Quinn didn't win, but he proved it was possible
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:47:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  So Quinn didn't win, but he proved it was possible
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So Quinn didn't win, but he proved it was possible  (Read 1774 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:44:18 PM »

I just looked over the Illinois gubernatorial results and noticed that Quinn's statewide margin of defeat was lower than his margin of defeat in all non-Cook counties. So a uniform swing could've given him enough to win without winning any non-Cook county. And here even I was thinking that a winning Democrat in Illinois would've at least won Alexander as well.

But alas, I doubt we'll see that happening any time soon. Expect Rauner's opponent in 2018 to beat him in a bunch of counties.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 11:27:23 PM »

Before the election, Most of the polls showed Quinn was supposed to win.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 02:15:17 AM »

I just looked over the Illinois gubernatorial results and noticed that Quinn's statewide margin of defeat was lower than his margin of defeat in all non-Cook counties. So a uniform swing could've given him enough to win without winning any non-Cook county. And here even I was thinking that a winning Democrat in Illinois would've at least won Alexander as well.

But alas, I doubt we'll see that happening any time soon. Expect Rauner's opponent in 2018 to beat him in a bunch of counties.

Actually, Fulton county only went to Rauner by one point, so he would've won that and maybe Rock Island county, but that's it.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 09:58:10 AM »

The models that forecast the election may have thought there was greater support for Quinn in Chicago than there was actually. Clearly with a 76-24% margin in Chicago, it wasn't enough for Quinn to surmount the deficit he ran in the rest of the state. That could have explained Rauner's surprise win (he, Tillis, and Hogan were the three surprises).
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 10:26:41 AM »

Don't count on it.  Southern Illinois is trending so heavily Republican that I doubt even a moderate Republican like Rauner would lose there.  Plus, he'll be confined by an overwhelmingly Democrat legislature that will make his less controversial proposals nearly impossible to pass.  Since he pledged to work with Democrats during the campaign, it will be much easier for him to push for fiscal conservatism in a more palatable way, unlike Snyder, Walker, Kasich, etc.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 11:37:35 AM »

Actually, Fulton county only went to Rauner by one point, so he would've won that and maybe Rock Island county, but that's it.
All Quinn had to do then was lose those counties by one vote each, and BRTD's theory would be correct. Like ssuperflash, I don't find this surprising, unless we're missing his point.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »

I thought it was pretty obvious that one of the reasons Quinn lost was that turnout in Cook county was too low for his margin there to offset the rest of the state.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 09:25:58 PM »

Well he won reelection with only three counties in 2010. Even if he had lost those non-Cook Counties by the same margin he won them, his margin in Cook County still would've been sufficient for reelection. So yes it's definitely possible.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 12:22:00 AM »

Don't count on it.  Southern Illinois is trending so heavily Republican that I doubt even a moderate Republican like Rauner would lose there.  Plus, he'll be confined by an overwhelmingly Democrat legislature that will make his less controversial proposals nearly impossible to pass.  Since he pledged to work with Democrats during the campaign, it will be much easier for him to push for fiscal conservatism in a more palatable way, unlike Snyder, Walker, Kasich, etc.

How you underestimate Illinois Democrats, my friend. Expect the budget crisis to be dealt with under Rauner's tenure. Dems won't miss the opportunity to push it to the top of the priority list while the face of government is a Republican. They'll gloriously bury him in 2018 over it if my predictions serve me, because the fix will be painful for sure.

And ILDems don't need to work with Rauner, frankly. He can make all the promises he wants, he's at their whim really.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies