Which current politician represents you and how would they do if they ran in 08. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:46:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Which current politician represents you and how would they do if they ran in 08. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which current politician represents you and how would they do if they ran in 08.  (Read 3749 times)
MissCatholic

« on: April 20, 2005, 10:51:06 AM »

Mine is Senator Mary Landrieu (D-Louisiana)

I first met her in her campaign for the 2002 senate. i was living with friends in Baton Rouge and the more i began to understand what she stood for the more i admired her. Her lines on children, family hit home what she stands for on the issue of adoption

"theres no unwanted child, just unfound families"

"governments do many things well, but raising children is not one of them"

"Many things we need can wait, the child cannot. To him we cannot say tomorrow. His name is today."

One of the reasons that she won her seat in 2002 despite bushs policies was that she focused on children. she also believes that all people in the medical profession including nurses should get involved in politics as it is only them that understand whats right and wrong about healthcare in america.

She has good people around her. her commercial in 2002 hit home

His mother walked into his room and said, "Wake up, son. It's time to go to school."

"But why, Mom? I don't want to go."

"Give me two reasons why you don't want to go."

"Well, all the kids hate me for one, and the teachers hate me, too!"

"Oh, that's no reason not to go to school. Come on now and get ready."

"Give me two reasons why I should go to school!"

"Well, for one, you are 52 years old, and for another you're the Principal!"

But it hit home the message that their class walls crumbling, their classrooms are overcrowded, they feel unsafe, or worse still, they are not learning.  Since she has been a senator Louisiana has gone from 12th to 5th in improving teaching quality. another good point.

She has publicly criticised Bush many times on his education policy. in a recent speech in the senate she said

"If the promise of No Child Left Behind is to be fulfilled, we must not only continue the reforms begun under NCLB, we must fully invest in them. Since we made the commitment to go in this new direction, this Administration has left States to deal with $26.4 billion shortfall in education funding. While investments in education without accountability are a waste of tax-payer dollars, accountability without strategic investments in education are a waste of time. As a member of the committee on Appropriations, I will do whatever is necessary to ensure that our schools have the tools they need to help every child."

One thing she does do well with liberals and conservatives is her environement policy. not noly is she keen on environmental responibility in OCS. But she recognises the benefits that the oil and gas could give to the states. She has publicly criticited American senators andcongressmen for not giving the money that the state deserves for the amount of oil it provides Americans. She was one senator that did vote for the drilling of anwar.

I really wanted her to be Senate Minority leader. her quotes from the budget i think hit home the democraitc message..

"In this year’s budget, President Bush has a new plan to reduce the federal debt – he will shift the cost of his decisions to the state and local governments and the children and grandchildren he swore to protect four years ago. Instead of proposing real solutions to real problems, he uses budget tricks and gimmicks to mask what needs to be done.
The reality is this: health care costs are out of control and the number of people without insurance is growing; America’s workers are feeling the squeeze of foreign competition; and approximately 20,000 elementary and secondary schools are in need of improvement. Token increases and shell games will not provide real solutions to these important issues, and while ignoring them might save us a dollar today, inaction will cost us much more tomorrow"

I  think she would be a great vp pick for someone like Bayh, who could defend his conservatism with her own stances and she can provide the moral clarity of catholics like myslef who are democrats that believe abortion is a sin.

Like any senator you could cherry pick votes. but mary has a good record. She is consistent and knows the rules of the senate. whatever happens though, i`ll support her.

MissCatholic

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 11:11:11 AM »

Were disappointed in what John Edwards actually offered the ticket. i dont think he got one extra vote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies