Policy Report Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:55:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Policy Report Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Policy Report Act (Passed)  (Read 3853 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2015, 08:54:57 AM »

Yeah, I'll change it to NAY

We haven't heard of SJoyce, and as has been noted, this is not really a responsibility that should be there for the VP...
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »

We haven't heard of SJoyce, and as has been noted, this is not really a responsibility that should be there for the VP...
I think your change is invalid. Bore said "senators have 24 hours to change their votes" at 08.36 am and  you posted at 08.54 am.
Sorry if it seems that I'm not accepting your vote, but this is the rule.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2015, 11:46:39 AM »

I think your change is invalid. Bore said "senators have 24 hours to change their votes" at 08.36 am and  you posted at 08.54 am.
Sorry if it seems that I'm not accepting your vote, but this is the rule.

Yeah, most likely.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2015, 01:25:26 PM »

Yeah, Cranberry's vote change was too late:

By a vote of 5-4-1 Cris's amendment has passed the senate:

Aye: Bacon King, Cris, Windjammer, Yankee, SWE

Nay: Bore, Polnut, TNF, Lief

Abstain: Cranberry

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2015, 05:48:46 AM »

Okay then... Are you okay with the current version as of now, or is there still something you'd like to add?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2015, 08:52:54 AM »

Personally, I'll be voting NAY on this Bill as it stands. I understand the desire to give the VP meaningful work - but this should be a specific task and given to someone with an interest and capacity to do it.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2015, 08:53:23 AM »

I might have an idea of compromise.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2015, 03:41:27 AM »

Yes, Windjammer, go on, please tell us.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »

Why not giving the VP a slot and in exchange, someone would be appointed for that.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2015, 10:20:30 PM »

I think we could use APR as a replacement to the television network thing that takes up a decent chunk of the budget.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2015, 10:23:50 PM »

Why not giving the VP a slot and in exchange, someone would be appointed for that.

It's an interesting idea... but I think wanders a bit off track of the the purpose of this Bill. The inclusion of the VP is a solution of the need to have someone keep track of the policies of Atlasia, but it is not designed to be a solution to the issue of giving the VP something to do.

If Senator Windjammer wishes to introduce this idea, and I know he is passionate about it, then I'd ask him to propose that separately as I think it muddies the water of the purpose of this Bill.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2015, 09:52:41 AM »

It's an interesting idea... but I think wanders a bit off track of the the purpose of this Bill. The inclusion of the VP is a solution of the need to have someone keep track of the policies of Atlasia, but it is not designed to be a solution to the issue of giving the VP something to do.

If Senator Windjammer wishes to introduce this idea, and I know he is passionate about it, then I'd ask him to propose that separately as I think it muddies the water of the purpose of this Bill.

Thank you for saying I'm "passionate" Tongue.
So, if I understand correctly, you want me to propose a new bill about the VP powers?

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2015, 01:27:50 PM »

Anyway, I'll introduce an amendment to have this VP thing away again.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think we could use APR as a replacement to the television network thing that takes up a decent chunk of the budget.

Maybe not all of it, but we could maybe strike a bit? Seems sensible to me.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2015, 01:29:12 PM »

Will you try to reform this office or will you let this office be inactive for ever Cranberry?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2015, 01:32:47 PM »

Will you try to reform this office or will you let this office be inactive for ever Cranberry?

I am very willing to reforms to the office of Vice President, I just don't believe this is a job Vice Presidents should be doing, as the credentials to choose the guy to do that job are often completely different to those after which you choose your Vice Presidential Candidate.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2015, 01:34:56 PM »

I am very willing to reforms to the office of Vice President, I just don't believe this is a job Vice Presidents should be doing, as the credentials to choose the guy to do that job are often completely different to those after which you choose your Vice Presidential Candidate.
Thank you Smiley
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2015, 01:46:39 PM »

I won't oppose this amendment because I will be working with Cris to give some duties to the VP. I hope, however, that senators are really going to want to reform this office. And not voting against any reform of the VP??? Can I count on the other senators?
Truly, Sjoyce's vicepresidency has just shown that this office needs to be reformed. I mean, he's inactive, but that's not even his fault but that's because he has no duty. So I hope senators realize that?
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2015, 01:50:27 PM »

I won't oppose this amendment because I will be working with Cris to give some duties to the VP. I hope, however, that senators are really going to want to reform this office. And not voting against any reform of the VP??? Can I count on the other senators?
Truly, Sjoyce's vicepresidency has just shown that this office needs to be reformed. I mean, he's inactive, but that's not even his fault but that's because he has no duty. So I hope senators realize that?

I agree with Senator Windjammer of Mideast.
I understand the Senators's concerns on the current text. I presented that amendment only for having a more active VP, but now considering that a work on the change of VP duties is started (and I hope it will have the support of all the Senators), I won't object.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2015, 03:24:27 PM »

Thank you for saying I'm "passionate" Tongue.
So, if I understand correctly, you want me to propose a new bill about the VP powers?

Basically, yes. This Bill should be about finding a solution to the issue of needing someone in this position and doing the job, not a solution to the issue if giving the VP more to do.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2015, 11:34:26 PM »

Being inactive is not a result of the position being unclear. I'm here participating, and nothing's telling me I have to be. I'm doing it because it's the best way for anyone to do their job well. The administration has goals and philosophies. I give the Vice President some leeway for not participating, but there are things he could be doing to champion those principles.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2015, 11:50:05 PM »

I'm getting a little concerned this Bill is kind of being detailed into the age-old VP role debate.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »

Senators have 36 hours to object to Cranberries amendment
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2015, 12:57:35 PM »

I'm getting a little concerned this Bill is kind of being detailed into the age-old VP role debate.

I feel so as well, so I would kindly ask the Senators to return the focus on this piece of legislation. Thank you.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2015, 07:36:21 PM »

I sent a message to SJoyce but I have not received an answer and also he hasn't posted in this thread.

My apologies, I must have overlooked that - I'm not sure what the purpose of assigning this role to the Vice President would be. More broadly, I can see in theory why it'd be useful to have such a newspaper, but can't see what function it would provide - if the problem is that few people can remember past legislation, I don't see much of a function to the APR barring a 'statute reset' of some kind. Other newspapers already exist (on-and-off and informally) to update the Atlasian public on important legislation that has passed the Senate, and I see it as the duty of anyone who introduces legislation to be conscious of the past legislation that may conflict with or influence their proposals.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2015, 09:47:31 AM »

I sent a message to SJoyce but I have not received an answer and also he hasn't posted in this thread.

My apologies, I must have overlooked that - I'm not sure what the purpose of assigning this role to the Vice President would be. More broadly, I can see in theory why it'd be useful to have such a newspaper, but can't see what function it would provide - if the problem is that few people can remember past legislation, I don't see much of a function to the APR barring a 'statute reset' of some kind. Other newspapers already exist (on-and-off and informally) to update the Atlasian public on important legislation that has passed the Senate, and I see it as the duty of anyone who introduces legislation to be conscious of the past legislation that may conflict with or influence their proposals.

Well, this bill does not aim to "relieve" officeholders of this duty, I just think such a resource would make it easier. But are there others who think this is unnecessary?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies