Should peaceable declarations of seccession be a punishable crime?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:04:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Should peaceable declarations of seccession be a punishable crime?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should peaceable declarations of seccession be a punishable crime?
Yes

No, Never

Hardly Ever

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Should peaceable declarations of seccession be a punishable crime?  (Read 822 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:14:38 AM »

I support political freedom.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:22:24 AM »

I'm confused as to how to answer: I certainly think this game flourishes when people express their views and advocate for them.  However, it can get very messy here when players take it too far and start to lead rival states and groups within the game itself (the "Papal Patch," etc.)

In my opinion, that starts to legitimately undermine the simulation itself.  There is a whole board devoted to election and history games/simulations, after all that's free to use.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 08:13:05 AM »

I'm confused as to how to answer: I certainly think this game flourishes when people express their views and advocate for them.  However, it can get very messy here when players take it too far and start to lead rival states and groups within the game itself (the "Papal Patch," etc.)

The Papal Patch was not created by seceeding not trying to take over any part of Atlasian sovereign territory.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2015, 03:17:00 PM by Türkisblau »

When part of Atlasian sovereign territory, yes. The Papal Patch, if my understanding is correct, basically just moved to an area outside of Atlasia. So what's the problem?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 09:42:46 AM »

Declaring your seceding should be a punishable crime, declaring that you want to secede and then pursue this democratically obviously shouldn't be.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 12:48:39 PM »

Declaring your seceding should be a punishable crime, declaring that you want to secede and then pursue this democratically obviously shouldn't be.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 01:04:41 PM »

As usual, bore speaks the truth.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 01:20:49 PM »

No, never (not a tyrant).

I still think, though, that Atlasia is better off united Smiley
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 10:21:34 PM »

Quite.

No, never (not a tyrant).

I still think, though, that Atlasia is better off united Smiley
I reject the notion that preserving the Constitutional union of these regions is tyranny. It is illogical to argue that governments do not have the power to preserve themselves: were that the case, democracy as we know it could not exist in any stable form.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 10:25:36 PM »

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 10:29:45 PM »

During the 2014 Conflict I believed that outright declaring seccession was a crime, I acted in consequence with that belief (although it did brought me some trouble) and I still maintain that position.

That said, the Papal Patch does not constitute an example of seccession because their current territory was never a part of Altasia.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 01:31:07 AM »

No, it obviously shouldn't, because in the cases where it may "occur", the rest of the game is likely to (and has on multiple occasions) ignore it and pretend it isn't happening (including administrations). Why do they do this? Because there is no tangible effect on the game whatsoever from it "occurring". Therefore, one must ask if it really has occurred in the first place (from a mechanics standpoint, it has not).

Furthermore, there has been a completely inconsistent handling of the issue over the game's life and even post-2008, when secession apparently became a crime. This whole "let's crack down on secessionists and those who don't recognize the legitimacy of the government" is a suddenly-new concept in the post-dissolution world. Let us not forget that the RPP (and by extension, both the IB and the Federalist Party) are in effect the Southern Secessionist Party, which is the only reason we even have this statute in place. If we're going to be consistent, then we obviously need to ban all of these traitorous fools from the game.

But honestly: can you imagine a world without President Duke, who actively encouraged secession? What about Kalwejt, who encouraged overthrows of regional and federal supremacy on multiple occasions? These are just the ones that pop into my mind; I'm confident if I were to really dig into the past, I'd find many examples of secession attempts post-September 2008 that were never prosecuted.  

I've also made no secret about how I believe there has been systematic profiling and careful selection of those who have been tried over this. Practically (if not actually) all citizens accused and charged under this statute have been Labor Party members; if this weren't the case, then there would have been many more citizens charged following the events of October 2014, heralding from all political movements. Instead, only the ones with weaker popularity and forum appeal (Snowstalker, Alfred, etc) were hunted.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies