Is anyone who doesn't fully understand & support Trans issues an automatic HP??
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:25:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is anyone who doesn't fully understand & support Trans issues an automatic HP??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Is anyone who doesn't fully understand & support Trans issues an automatic HP??
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Is anyone who doesn't fully understand & support Trans issues an automatic HP??  (Read 3092 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 02, 2015, 10:22:40 PM »
« edited: January 02, 2015, 10:25:59 PM by Blue3 »

Is anyone who doesn't fully understand & support Trans issues an automatic horrible person?

Related questions:

Does the 1st amendment protect a person's right to have an opinion on this and express it, even if it's not 100% supportive of all Transgender issues?

Even if they're the parent of a child who identifies as Trans?

If a parent doesn't agree with Trans issues, and has a child who's Trans, but still loves their child... Does that automatically count as abuse?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 10:31:23 PM »

I'm curious... why is this such a bee in your bonnet?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 10:33:16 PM »

Of course not. But parents should support their transgender kids of course. That is just an act of parental decency.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 10:35:58 PM »

I'm curious... why is this such a bee in your bonnet?

It's closely related to a discussion we've been having at work for the last 3 months too. And I didn't want the thread on Leelah to become too derailed.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 10:37:55 PM »

No, of course not. But there is a difference between "fully" understand and support and actively trying to fix them and/or not wanting to understand them.

Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 10:49:53 PM »

Fully understand is kind of a high bar. But prohibiting your child from living as their gender is abuse.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 10:50:56 PM »

Of course not. And for many people, they can go about being passively ignorant if not actually hostile, and it'll have no real impact on their life.

But for parents of a child who reveals they're trans, it's their obligation to educate themselves and support the child. If they choose the other route of denying their child's identity and trying to "fix" them, they are HPs.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 10:52:36 PM »

Of course not. But parents should support their transgender kids of course. That is just an act of parental decency.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 10:54:08 PM »

No, of course not.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 10:55:20 PM »

There are very very few people who can claim to fully understand trans issues so not even remotely.

And I think there's room to not fully support it either. I do for the most part, but there is room for debate.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 11:47:29 PM »

No - though the lack of understanding and support should not be accepted as an excuse for emotional, verbal, or physical violence. Opinions are fine, as are their expression. Parents also don't have to agree with trans children about trans-related issues. Yet it would be abusive if said parents were to treat their children as diseased and in need of corrective treatments, just as it is abusive for parents to force their kids to undergo programmes or regimens designed to alter non-heterosexual orientations.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 02:31:23 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2015, 02:33:12 PM by Blue3 »

So if a person doesn't really support transgenderism, that's fine.

If that person, becomes a parent, and their kids are cisgender, that's still fine.

But if one of those kids begins to identify as transgender, then even if that parent is otherwise loving and supportive, it is now automatic child abuse and the parent is now automatically a horrible person???

The above is what some people here seem to be arguing.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 02:47:02 PM »

You don't need to "understand" trans issues to not be a colossal prick over those issues. If John tells you that he is now a woman named Jane and is making preparations to legally change names, undergo conversion, etc., then you don't need to understand Jane's reasoning to be a good person. You just need to change her contact info in your phone, refer to her as her, and not be a douchebag about it. That's the extent of your obligations to be a good person and it really isn't much to ask.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 02:48:50 PM »

So if a person doesn't really support transgenderism, that's fine.

If that person, becomes a parent, and their kids are cisgender, that's still fine.

But if one of those kids begins to identify as transgender, then even if that parent is otherwise loving and supportive, it is now automatic child abuse and the parent is now automatically a horrible person???

The above is what some people here seem to be arguing.

Let me ask you a question: Have you ever known or even met a transgender person?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 02:53:45 PM »

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 02:55:16 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2015, 03:05:59 PM by Blue3 »

Yes I've had one as a workmate and roommate for the last 3 months. My team and I did our best to remember to use they/them/their pronouns, and the person facilitated diversity trainings.

At the same time, people on the team, including one of this person's closest friends, believe that any sort of plastic surgery or changing your appearance is wrong. And there's one person on the team who isn't that concerned with using the proper pronouns, due to personal beliefs.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 03:34:28 PM »

Of course not, but there's a difference between lack of full understanding and support and active malice.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 03:37:26 PM »

I'm personally supportive but I wouldn't say I understand it entirely. But I respect them enough and I support their right to change genders and be who they want. It's neither my business or place to judge.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 03:54:33 PM »

Everyone starts from a position on ignorance on most issues. You have to work your way around things as you navigate life. If you don't know about trans issues, or don't particularly care about them, why on earth when faced with it in a person who comes to you, would you say 'I don't know about this so I can't support it'? It's not about you supporting it. People will be trans whether you support it or not.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 12:12:32 AM »

Everyone starts from a position on ignorance on most issues. You have to work your way around things as you navigate life. If you don't know about trans issues, or don't particularly care about them, why on earth when faced with it in a person who comes to you, would you say 'I don't know about this so I can't support it'? It's not about you supporting it. People will be trans whether you support it or not.

This. One's being an HP in regards to trans issues is fully contingent upon one's willingness to learn about trans issues.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 12:15:54 AM »

Like R2D2 says it depends on your willingness to learn.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 02:54:21 AM »

Yes of course.  Bigot is a more appropriate description than "horrible person" though.  I can't believe so many of you are saying no.  I feel like I'm in the Yahoo comments section.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 10:37:45 AM »

Yes of course.  Bigot is a more appropriate description than "horrible person" though.  I can't believe so many of you are saying no.  I feel like I'm in the Yahoo comments section.

There was a time when you were ignorant about trans issues, you know.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 02:02:14 PM »

How long have you known me?  Even if that was true (which it isn't) that still doesn't mean that such a person isn't a bigot.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 04:10:18 PM »

How long have you known me?  Even if that was true (which it isn't) that still doesn't mean that such a person isn't a bigot.

So from the time of your birth, through your youthful ignorance, into adulthood, you have always been aware of what transgenderism is, and fully understood every single aspect of it?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies