Looks like Huckles is getting ready
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:37:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Looks like Huckles is getting ready
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Looks like Huckles is getting ready  (Read 3546 times)
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2015, 04:17:55 PM »

From an electoral point of view, Huckabee is a good 'defensive' candidate.  He essentially creates a Southern firewall (which excludes Virginia and Florida).  This prevents Clinton from expanding on the 2012 map into Missouri, Georgia, and North Carolina.  However, Huckabee isn't well suited to expand the map for the GOP. 

In short, he isn't very likely to win, but he probably won't lose by a landslide. 
Angel of Death
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2015, 04:35:18 PM »

From an electoral point of view, Huckabee is a good 'defensive' candidate.  He essentially creates a Southern firewall (which excludes Virginia and Florida).  This prevents Clinton from expanding on the 2012 map into Missouri, Georgia, and North Carolina.  However, Huckabee isn't well suited to expand the map for the GOP. 

In short, he isn't very likely to win, but he probably won't lose by a landslide. 

That's pretty much the opposite of Paul, isn't it?
JRP1994

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2015, 04:48:03 PM »

I could see Huckabee getting to 240 EVs fairly easily (pick Rubio as VP; win Romney states + Iowa and Florida). After that, it gets very difficult to get him to 270. Doable, but would require some missteps by Clinton.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »

I don't think anyone has posted his goodbye message, so here it is.

For all you playing down Huckabee's likability factor, I really think that you are mistaken. The guy is just very well-spoken and charming when he speaks. Just because he has taken stands on issues where you disagree with him on doesn't make him a horrible and unlikable person.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2015, 12:34:06 AM »

For all you playing down Huckabee's likability factor, I really think that you are mistaken. The guy is just very well-spoken and charming when he speaks. Just because he has taken stands on issues where you disagree with him on doesn't make him a horrible and unlikable person.
internment camps for homosexuals...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2015, 06:41:21 PM »

As an establishment Republican, Huckabee's candidacy is the one that scares me the most.  He's the only firebreather who doesn't come off as a firebreather, and it will be hard for Jeb Bush to paint him as extreme.   

On domestic policy, Huckabee definitely fits the bill of the establishment Republican, if you look at his actual record in Arkansas. He is far from a firebreather.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2015, 09:41:36 PM »

Well, time to get ready for the Republican "debates".

I'm now starting to wonder how badly having a large number of candidates who are only in the race to sell books and bump their speaking fees is going to warp the Republican primaries. Maybe Newt and Palin will join in the fun!

It's one thing to campaign in hope of raising political visibility and credibility for future campaigns or a shot at a position in the new administration. (I don't take Huckabee seriously as a candidate. His brand of social conservatism is done and the Republicans will damage their brand further in addition to losing if they're somehow stupid enough to nominate him.)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2015, 10:23:36 AM »

You have it backwards. Just because he can be well-spoken and charming when he advocates and supports horrible and indefensible things doesn't make him a good person.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies