'A living hell' for slaves on remote South Korean islands (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:26:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  'A living hell' for slaves on remote South Korean islands (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 'A living hell' for slaves on remote South Korean islands  (Read 2297 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: January 04, 2015, 03:47:46 PM »

So a private citizen and company committed some horrifying acts, and the man responsible is being tried for it and will definitely be going to prison. Yeah that definitely puts all of South Korea on the same level as a place where 1/3 of the population is imprisoned by the government in forced labor camps.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 11:37:28 PM »

Really, this is the equivalent of claiming that a country has a horrible record on women's rights, and as "proof" posting a story about a serial rapist there who was arrested and is about to be tried.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:41:44 AM »

Really, this is the equivalent of claiming that a country has a horrible record on women's rights, and as "proof" posting a story about a serial rapist there who was arrested and is about to be tried.

No, the equivalent would be a story about year long incarceration and repeated rape of dozens of mentally ill women conducted by a group of men in a remote area with the tolerance of the local community (including bringing escaped women back to their rapists) and elements in the local authorities and local police.

(even this would be downplaying it, because it happens on other islands as well)

There is a structural element here, and the fact that no one in local law enforcement and local authorities have been sanctioned is disturbing.

That's true yes, but the fact that the guy is being tried shows just how idiotic trying to draw any moral equivalencies to North Korea is.

And I actually have seen True Leftists on DU engage in whataboutery over Matthew Shepherd and other LGBT hate crimes as "proof" the US is no better on LGBT issues than Russia, or even Iran before.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies