On House Election projections.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:38:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election Predictions (Moderator: muon2)
  On House Election projections.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: On House Election projections.  (Read 18696 times)
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2015, 12:06:11 PM »

How is it that House elections are projected during election night? I still don't get their system ^^' And why are they usually projected earlier than Senate elections?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:04:59 AM »

Probably because there are more of them, and there are so many safe seats that you only need to call a few close ones in order to make a call on the House as a whole.

That being said, I've become pretty disgusted with the way the media calls elections.  In this last election, they called AR Senate and KY Senate as soon as all the polls were closed, which I though was way too early (although the calls turned out to be right.)  I also hate how they use exit polls to make calls, because exit polls mean nothing.  If they were any good, then John Kerry would have won by a landslide in 2004.  It was this reliance on exit polls that led to the early call of Florida in 2000, and we all know how that turned out.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:32:49 PM »

That being said, I've become pretty disgusted with the way the media calls elections.  In this last election, they called AR Senate and KY Senate as soon as all the polls were closed, which I though was way too early (although the calls turned out to be right.)  I also hate how they use exit polls to make calls, because exit polls mean nothing.  If they were any good, then John Kerry would have won by a landslide in 2004.  It was this reliance on exit polls that led to the early call of Florida in 2000, and we all know how that turned out.

Election calls have improved over the years, and they've definitely learned from 2000. The media used to call some races right away as the poll closed, but they ended up being super close, and they were sometimes wrong too. McConnell and Cotton won 15 and 17 point races respectively, if its not even close on the exit polls they can call it, but they never called any of the actual close races until the winner could be determined by vote tabulation. In 1980 for example, NBC called Talmadge the winner in the Georgia senate race right away, but he actually ended up losing by a point.

To answer the thread question, its usually because early votes and bellwether precincts indicate victory. There's no exit polls, so they can't base it off that. I don't really know if they're called early than Senate races or Governor races, but in >80% of the races the winner is obvious.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies