What would be your reaction if Obama ordered droning of Kim Jong-un?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:27:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What would be your reaction if Obama ordered droning of Kim Jong-un?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What would be your reaction if Obama ordered droning of Kim Jong-un?
Thrilled, Obama has guts!

Somewhat happy but a bit nervous and cautious

Upset

Outraged. Obama is an imperialist warmonger

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: What would be your reaction if Obama ordered droning of Kim Jong-un?  (Read 1058 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2015, 08:37:22 PM »

So let's imagine Obama announces a special White House screening of "The Interview". After it's done, he announces he'll be doing broadcast live on TV address, where he steps forward and announces that during the screening, Kim Jong-un and many other high ranking North Korean officials were taken out in a drone strike.

What's your reaction and opinion of Obama?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 08:51:25 PM »

That seems a tad excessive
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »

No moral qualms, but the regime would survive and get even more paranoid, so it would be pointless and counterproductive.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 09:05:41 PM »

Upset. It would be the dumbest move ever.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 09:51:12 PM »

No moral qualms, but the regime would survive and get even more paranoid, so it would be pointless and counterproductive.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 09:52:22 PM »

Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2015, 09:56:22 PM »

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 10:04:47 PM »

I find it unlikely that the regime would survive if the leader was taken out in public fashion. The Kims maintain control of the country via a cult-like aura of invincibility. The likely situation is the military taking control in the immediate aftermath and pulling an Egypt - some mild liberalizations to protect the new order, while maintaining the general status quo. I think you'd see less exercises of paranoid, brutal authority and more standard dictator tactics.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 10:51:26 PM »

Option 2. I have no sympathy for him or his regime, but I'm still nervous about just droning people for moral reasons.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 10:58:55 PM »

There's a huge difference between droning a random terrorist, and droning the leader of a government, no matter how repugnant.

Besides. I think Vladimir Putin and Robert Mugabe should be ahead "in line" so to speak if we were killing world leaders.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 11:19:44 PM »

There's a huge difference between droning a random terrorist, and droning the leader of a government, no matter how repugnant.

Besides. I think Vladimir Putin and Robert Mugabe should be ahead "in line" so to speak if we were killing world leaders.

There's also a huge difference between droning the leader of a joke state like North Korea, or a genuine nuclear great power like Russia. Droning Putin would trigger World War III.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 12:12:27 AM »

It seems like "publicly droning" him wouldn't necessarily result in a natural embrace of democracy in North Korea.  Even Bush's team could figure that out... I don't see Obama doing anything clumsy like this.  I would disapprove, although I have to admit that if a world leader did get assassinated, I would hope it to be Kim Jong-un.

On another note, it saddens me that 'droning' is now part of our regular discourse.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 02:04:33 AM »

He's going to start a war with a Seth Rogen film as a backdrop? First of all, they'd need to make sure that all foreign tourists are out of the country. Then they'd need the agreement of the South Korean government to prepare for regime change and also alert Japan. They'd also need to coordinate with US command to immediately take out North Korea's nuclear and artillery forces if need be. The fact that you're even thinking about all of this as the outgrowth of a comedy film made for Americans' entertainment is why the film is really offensive and should never have been made. North Korea is not a joke state. A state with the ability to destroy East Asia and the character of North Korea is not a joke. But thanks to movies like this one, that is how Americans perceive it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 02:15:40 AM »

While I oppose stupid warmongers and am generally against attacking a country that didn't attack us first, if we can find a way to weaken North Korea to the point where South Koreans can take over, that would be great. North Korea is completely bonkers, and the South Koreans are the same people the North, just with a much freer government (and it wouldn't hurt South Korea to be more free too).
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 05:09:39 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2015, 05:56:00 AM by politicus »

I find it unlikely that the regime would survive if the leader was taken out in public fashion. The Kims maintain control of the country via a cult-like aura of invincibility. The likely situation is the military taking control in the immediate aftermath and pulling an Egypt - some mild liberalizations to protect the new order, while maintaining the general status quo. I think you'd see less exercises of paranoid, brutal authority and more standard dictator tactics.

The Organization and Guidance Department (OGD) of the Korean Workers Party has been the backbone of the regime for decades. There is no reason to think they would lose control to the Army in this scenario.

It would be the military that had failed to protect the dear leader, so they are the ones losing prestige.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 05:25:01 AM »

I'm sure South Korea will be delighted for the US to hand them over a collapsing nuclear-armed failed state. Thrilled.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 07:37:42 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2015, 07:40:11 AM by Governor Varavour »

I know people in South Korea. I like them. Hence I would disapprove of his warmongering, which would probably get them killed. The use of open assassination of world leaders is also is incredibly destabilising not to mention regressive.

This is a very stupid thread.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 11:40:56 AM »

This would be a very... well... G.W. Bush move, surely?
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 11:55:57 AM »

It sets a very bad precedent.

Rogue regimes would be more likely to consider assassination as a valid political tactic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies