Atlas Throwback: 1991 edition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:23:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Atlas Throwback: 1991 edition
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Throwback: 1991 edition  (Read 2135 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2015, 08:57:52 PM »
« edited: December 06, 2015, 09:37:27 PM by Moderate Hero Republican »

In Aug of 1991 what would Atlas say

This is what i think: Republicans  are nearly certain to win a 4th consecutive  election in 1992 and maybe even take back the Senate and possibly the House for the first time in 38 years.  I think just like in 1984 all the prominent Dems will drop out giving Tsongas the nomination, and while doing better then the previous 3 candidates he will still lose decisively to Bush.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 10:04:16 PM »

Bush will win. His approval ratings were in the 90s IIRC. Sure, a lot can change in over a year, but I think it's safe to say that he'll win. Maybe a couple of the big names (Brown, Cuomo, etc.) might run.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 10:41:02 PM »

Bush is certainly favored. I think that Cuomo has the charisma to take him though, weariness will wear on the Reagan/Bush years. I think they could really get him on raising taxes last year. If Cuomo runs with a moderate from the south like Gore or Nunn, I think he has a good shot.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 10:43:35 PM »

Cuomo is the only Democrat with any chance of beating Bush. If he doesn't run, the Democrats are totally screwed. Bush will utterly destroy the others, especially some womanizer from a small southern state.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 10:56:11 PM »

Cuomo is the only Democrat with any chance of beating Bush. If he doesn't run, the Democrats are totally screwed. Bush will utterly destroy the others, especially some womanizer from a small southern state.

You are right If Cuomo isnt nominated I see them losing badly just like they did in the 1980s. And if they lose this election not only would they lose the Senate and maybe the house , they wont have a shot  at winning the White house till 2000 , as by 1996 the economy will likely be great again , and the Soviet Union will likely have collapsed by then so I see the GOP winning in 1996 again. It's looking more like 1980 was 1932 in reverse instead of a repeat of 1920.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 10:57:31 PM »

Who? Gore? Nunn? They both aren't womanizers. I think that a Cuomo/Biden ticket or Cuomo/Nunn could probably win this -

As expected - it's the 272 firewall.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 11:03:35 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2015, 11:07:14 PM by Moderate Hero Republican »

Who? Gore? Nunn? They both aren't womanizers. I think that a Cuomo/Biden ticket or Cuomo/Nunn could probably win this -

Vermont has only gone democratic once since 1856 and I dont think with Bush popularity he will lose Vermont. And I dont think he loses Colorado, and New Mexico as the GOP won those states in 1976 and 1988 . If the Democrats want to win they will have to win Tennessee, and Arkansas along with rest of the states in your map not including Vermont, Colorado,  New Mexico. The only likely hope the Democrats have is if a far right Conservative, upset at the tax increases runs third party and splits the GOP vote ala 1912.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 11:16:08 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Bush wins even bigger than he did in 1988. Maybe not as big as Reagan '84, but pretty big. Maybe this:

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »

Tsongas and Brown are the only ones who could beat Bush. Cuomo is an awful fit for the Midwest. I think a Tsongas/Gore ticket could sweep the map like this:

300 - 238

It's the best the Democrats can do. I think we can assume California is basically Safe R for now.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2015, 01:00:57 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Bush wins even bigger than he did in 1988. Maybe not as big as Reagan '84, but pretty big. Maybe this:

Please. Bush would easily win Massachusetts and NY.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2015, 03:01:23 AM »

Please. Bush would easily win Massachusetts and NY.

Then you would have the Democrats do worse in 92 then they did in 84
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2015, 05:18:33 AM »

I hear that Clinton's wife is a real first class bitch.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2015, 01:31:10 PM »

I hear that Clinton's wife is a real first class bitch.

Who's Clinton? Governor of Arkansas? He has no chance. Even if he does get nominated, it'll just be another McGovern situation.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2015, 02:02:50 PM »

Tsongas and Brown are the only ones who could beat Bush. Cuomo is an awful fit for the Midwest. I think a Tsongas/Gore ticket could sweep the map like this:

300 - 238It's the best the Democrats can do. I think we can assume California is basically Safe R for now.
Jerry Brown might be able to flip California, but I don't think any Democrat can win Indiana, New Jersey, or Florida.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2015, 04:56:57 PM »

Can we please replace Neil Kinnock with John Smith before next June?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2015, 05:03:28 PM »

300 - 238It's the best the Democrats can do. I think we can assume California is basically Safe R for now.
Jerry Brown might be able to flip California, but I don't think any Democrat can win Indiana, New Jersey, or Florida.
The Solid South isn't even remotely safe with someone like Clinton, Gore, or Nunn on the ticket. IN, NJ, and FL are all basically perfect fits for Tsongas or Bayh.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 05:44:23 PM »

Smith? Come on, that 'Edinburgh Bank Manager' shtick might work for some, but it'll do nothing to the electorate.

Gordon Brown, that's who we need to replace Neil if That Event happens.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 08:14:56 PM »

Smith? Come on, that 'Edinburgh Bank Manager' shtick might work for some, but it'll do nothing to the electorate.

Gordon Brown, that's who we need to replace Neil if That Event happens.

Brown has no charisma and I've heard rumours that he's a control freak in private. Some in my local party have suggested some North East MP by the name of...Tim Blair I think? He's actually in the Shadow Cabinet IIRC but I can't be bothered to turn to the relevant page of my copy of Who's Who? If only a magical electronic machine thing existed where you could look it up in seconds...maybe it could be named "Wikipedia" (random I know). Haha, perhaps it'll come about in the 27th century.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2015, 07:28:33 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2015, 07:30:37 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Anybody here think Bush can lose?  I sure don't.  It looks like the GOP has finally won the day, and I couldn't be happier.

Please.  LBJ is the only Democrat EVER to carry Vermont, and New Hampshire is as Republican as they come, too.  A Dem victory in '92 is nothing more than wishful thinking.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies