OH-Sen: Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld likely running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:06:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Sen: Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld likely running
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14
Author Topic: OH-Sen: Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld likely running  (Read 38125 times)
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2015, 12:14:31 AM »

Strickland: "I will make a decision by the end of this month."

This contradicts what inside sources were saying last week that Strickland would declare his intention to run in mid-February. It looks like he's still pondering on a decision though.

Strickland isn't even in the race yet and Ohio Republicans are already unleashing hell on him and his record. He is their worst nightmare, after all. At Strickland's age though, and I hope he considers this, this would be a stressful, two year long campaign for him and it would just get expensive and nasty. He could handle it, but the question is does he want to handle it.

P.G. is more motivated and he knows what he's up against. He needs to get cash and quick and start running his campaign before his challenger's define him. He's been expanding his campaign team which includes many prominent national figures who worked for and are close to the Clinton and Obama families. He was just up in DC fundraising with them, and you know, like I said he wasn't going to run if he knew he wouldn't have support. Who knows how many more powerful connections he has.

And speaking of that, the team already feels pretty confident about their first quarter haul so far. Judging from some of the comments of the memo P.G. sent out ("hampered by the politics of the past") he doesn't seem prepared to drop out even if Strickland runs.

I've really got to admire P.G.'s fortitude. This is a tough, tough battle for him to win, but you know, some candidates from 2014 proved us completely wrong and were underestimated. Let's see what he can do.

What do you expect Sittenfield's campaign to say?  I'm sure Jim Webb's Presidential campaign staff say that they're confident about his chances and that they've been blown away by the level of support he's recieving.  No one publicly says "yeah guys, this is basically a suicide run and it'll be a cold day in hell before I/my candidate has a chance of winning."
It's expected that they would be openly optimistic to the public. Yeah. Looking forward to April's fundraising report though, we'll see whether they really do have something to be happy about and whether they really do have a nice sized beginning haul.

FitzGerald got his early fundraising start simply by a huge boost by the party and old campaign funds he had, which is a contrast to P.G. who's building a much-needed national profile of donors. I'm personally eager to see what his CoH is.

The main reason I posted that article though was simply to note Sittenfeld's small jab at Strickland and his willingness to stay in this race which could be a sign of things to come.

If Sittenfield wants to wreck any political future he may have otherwise had so he can get 8-12% against the Democratic nominee (who won't even have to acknowledge Sittenfield's candidacy), I suppose that's his call.  Seems kind of silly though.
I think we're all in agreement that Sittenfeld stands no chance in a primary if Strickland runs. Regardless, I would still back Sittenfeld's candidacy in a hypothetical primary for previously mentioned personal and ideological reasons.

Sittenfeld would perform better than 8-12%, likely with a floor of 20%. Even Larry Ealy, the cringe perennial candidate from last year's Democratic primary got 17% of the vote despite publicly acknowledging he had no idea where Youngstown, Ohio was and not one person having any idea who he was.

Granted, he was facing FitzGerald who also had low name ID and is a weaker candidate than Strickland would be. On the flip side of that though, while Strickland is a lot stronger than FitzGerald, Sittenfeld is a lot stronger (and a lot more credible and sane) then Ealy was.

P.G. would remain relevant with the cash and connections and he would run up the score a little in the metropolitan areas, but it's ultimately Strickland's field.

In a lot of past cases though, the ODP has jumped in and "encouraged" the weaker candidate or the candidate they prefer not to back to drop out. So if Strickland opts out, he does still have a realistic shot at the nomination. On the other hand, if Strickland jumps in, while Sittenfeld himself and his early team would like for him to stay in, his establishment friends might just ask him to drop out and promise party support of him in a local run for say, Hamilton County Commissioner or State Senate in 2016/2018.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2015, 08:33:44 AM »

This contradicts what inside sources were saying last week that Strickland would declare his intention to run in mid-February. It looks like he's still pondering on a decision though.

Strickland isn't even in the race yet and Ohio Republicans are already unleashing hell on him and his record. He is their worst nightmare, after all. At Strickland's age though, and I hope he considers this, this would be a stressful, two year long campaign for him and it would just get expensive and nasty. He could handle it, but the question is does he want to handle it.

P.G. is more motivated and he knows what he's up against. He needs to get cash and quick and start running his campaign before his challenger's define him. He's been expanding his campaign team which includes many prominent national figures who worked for and are close to the Clinton and Obama families. He was just up in DC fundraising with them, and you know, like I said he wasn't going to run if he knew he wouldn't have support. Who knows how many more powerful connections he has.

And speaking of that, the team already feels pretty confident about their first quarter haul so far. Judging from some of the comments of the memo P.G. sent out ("hampered by the politics of the past") he doesn't seem prepared to drop out even if Strickland runs.

I've really got to admire P.G.'s fortitude. This is a tough, tough battle for him to win, but you know, some candidates from 2014 proved us completely wrong and were underestimated. Let's see what he can do.

What do you expect Sittenfield's campaign to say?  I'm sure Jim Webb's Presidential campaign staff say that they're confident about his chances and that they've been blown away by the level of support he's recieving.  No one publicly says "yeah guys, this is basically a suicide run and it'll be a cold day in hell before I/my candidate has a chance of winning."
It's expected that they would be openly optimistic to the public. Yeah. Looking forward to April's fundraising report though, we'll see whether they really do have something to be happy about and whether they really do have a nice sized beginning haul.

FitzGerald got his early fundraising start simply by a huge boost by the party and old campaign funds he had, which is a contrast to P.G. who's building a much-needed national profile of donors. I'm personally eager to see what his CoH is.

The main reason I posted that article though was simply to note Sittenfeld's small jab at Strickland and his willingness to stay in this race which could be a sign of things to come.

If Sittenfield wants to wreck any political future he may have otherwise had so he can get 8-12% against the Democratic nominee (who won't even have to acknowledge Sittenfield's candidacy), I suppose that's his call.  Seems kind of silly though.
I think we're all in agreement that Sittenfeld stands no chance in a primary if Strickland runs. Regardless, I would still back Sittenfeld's candidacy in a hypothetical primary for previously mentioned personal and ideological reasons.

Sittenfeld would perform better than 8-12%, likely with a floor of 20%. Even Larry Ealy, the cringe perennial candidate from last year's Democratic primary got 17% of the vote despite publicly acknowledging he had no idea where Youngstown, Ohio was and not one person having any idea who he was.

Granted, he was facing FitzGerald who also had low name ID and is a weaker candidate than Strickland would be. On the flip side of that though, while Strickland is a lot stronger than FitzGerald, Sittenfeld is a lot stronger (and a lot more credible and sane) then Ealy was.

P.G. would remain relevant with the cash and connections and he would run up the score a little in the metropolitan areas, but it's ultimately Strickland's field.

In a lot of past cases though, the ODP has jumped in and "encouraged" the weaker candidate or the candidate they prefer not to back to drop out. So if Strickland opts out, he does still have a realistic shot at the nomination. On the other hand, if Strickland jumps in, while Sittenfeld himself and his early team would like for him to stay in, his establishment friends might just ask him to drop out and promise party support of him in a local run for say, Hamilton County Commissioner or State Senate in 2016/2018.

Fair enough.  Don't get me wrong, I like Sittenfield and I'd love to see him run for the state legislature.  If he does so and wins, he could be a great candidate against Chabot if that seat becomes competitive (or is drawn fairly) after redistricting.  Any remotely fair/non-gerrymandered map would have likely-to-lean Democratic house seat in Hamilton County.  Even a competitive-to-lean Republican seat is pretty sketchy.  Someone as right-wing as Chabot would be toast in anything short of a lean Republican seat like the old OH-1.  That said, there might be a bit of a line since we have a pretty strong bench in the Cincinnatti area (Pillich, Sittenfield, Cranley, Pepper, Roxanne Qualls, Micah Kamrass, etc).  But I digress,  the point is that Sittenfield will have plenty of opportunities to climb the ladder without embarking on a suicide run.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2015, 01:04:04 PM »

If Strickland runs, Sittenfeld running against him in the primary gives Sittenfeld an opportunity to get his name out there and build up publicity for a future statewide race. I suspect that's the game plan here.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2015, 02:28:55 PM »

Fair enough.  Don't get me wrong, I like Sittenfield and I'd love to see him run for the state legislature.  If he does so and wins, he could be a great candidate against Chabot if that seat becomes competitive (or is drawn fairly) after redistricting.  Any remotely fair/non-gerrymandered map would have likely-to-lean Democratic house seat in Hamilton County.  Even a competitive-to-lean Republican seat is pretty sketchy.  Someone as right-wing as Chabot would be toast in anything short of a lean Republican seat like the old OH-1.  That said, there might be a bit of a line since we have a pretty strong bench in the Cincinnatti area (Pillich, Sittenfield, Cranley, Pepper, Roxanne Qualls, Micah Kamrass, etc).  But I digress,  the point is that Sittenfield will have plenty of opportunities to climb the ladder without embarking on a suicide run.
Yep, despite being in the minority, I think he would have a lot to offer and would be a powerful voice when things like "RTW" or "religious freedom" come before the Assembly. Like I said before, we definitely need someone to primary Thomas who's a really weak candidate and conservative. There is a good chance we could take back the Assembly next decade to, which would set Sittenfeld up for a nice leadership position there.

Don't forget Alicia Reece, Mark Mallory, Chris Seelbach and plenty of other big names from there with strong potential. But yeah, under current lines, OH-1 would be a one term hold at best. If Democrats get control of redistricting again though, then they need to make sure this district is engulfed completely in Cincinnati. We lose one district in 2020 I believe, so there will certainly be more leeway room to give Warren County, Butler County or Hamilton's suburbs to neighboring R districts. Sittenfeld would be only 35-37 years old if/when this happens and could stay in the House for a short awhile before running statewide.

I should also mention, since Kamrass's name was brought up, that it turns out he did endorse P.G. Sittenfeld. He's going to be fundraising with Kamrass and several attorney's in an event he's holding today. I'm pretty sure Mayor Mallory also endorsed him, so it's nice to know he's building up some really nice Hamilton County-based endorsements.

If P.G. gets a cleared Democratic field for him though and it's possible, then I think he could handle a statewide run as early as 2016. He's been really, really impressive as of late with money already brought in.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2015, 02:41:09 PM »

Yep, despite being in the minority, I think he would have a lot to offer and would be a powerful voice when things like "RTW" or "religious freedom" come before the Assembly. Like I said before, we definitely need someone to primary Thomas who's a really weak candidate and conservative. There is a good chance we could take back the Assembly next decade to, which would set Sittenfeld up for a nice leadership position there.

Don't forget Alicia Reece, Mark Mallory, Chris Seelbach and plenty of other big names from there with strong potential. But yeah, under current lines, OH-1 would be a one term hold at best. If Democrats get control of redistricting again though, then they need to make sure this district is engulfed completely in Cincinnati. We lose one district in 2020 I believe, so there will certainly be more leeway room to give Warren County, Butler County or Hamilton's suburbs to neighboring R districts. Sittenfeld would be only 35-37 years old if/when this happens and could stay in the House for a short awhile before running statewide.

I should also mention, since Kamrass's name was brought up, that it turns out he did endorse P.G. Sittenfeld. He's going to be fundraising with Kamrass and several attorney's in an event he's holding today. I'm pretty sure Mayor Mallory also endorsed him, so it's nice to know he's building up some really nice Hamilton County-based endorsements.

If P.G. gets a cleared Democratic field for him though and it's possible, then I think he could handle a statewide run as early as 2016. He's been really, really impressive as of late with money already brought in.

I don't know who Steelborn is, but Reece and Mallory wouldn't be able to unseat Chabot imo (even in a favorable district, especially not Mallory).
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2015, 03:06:45 PM »

I don't know who Steelborn is, but Reece and Mallory wouldn't be able to unseat Chabot imo (even in a favorable district, especially not Mallory).
Seelbach's a Cincinnati Councilman who's a very good friend of Sittenfeld's. He would possibly be a good primary opponent to Cranley's left in 2017 if Qualls and P.G. choose not to run.

Reece and Mallory would be unable to beat Chabot under the current district due to the struggles they would have finding crossover support outside Cincinnati, but if the district becomes more centralized next census, I could see one of the popular names from Cincinnati making a run. Mallory is really popular still in Cincinnati and the city has had plenty of trouble getting turnout there in the past. He or Reece could form a good machine if they ran.

Pillich is arguably the best fit here though.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2015, 08:53:17 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2016, 04:22:59 PM by LeBron FitzGerald »

According to one source, P.G. Sittenfeld's campaign which has only been active for 3 weeks, reportedly have half a million already on hand!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And this haul is presumably from a lot of out-of-state fundraisers.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2015, 09:14:21 PM »

45%, Adam. 45% top.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2015, 02:45:04 PM »

Ryan officially out.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2015, 03:37:57 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2016, 06:23:10 PM by LeBron FitzGerald »

Told you guys. Tongue
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2015, 03:39:41 PM »

The guy has been "future" of the dem party of ohio since 2003 yet always seems to chicken out of runs for higher office at the last moment
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2015, 03:50:05 PM »

The guy has been "future" of the dem party of ohio since 2003 yet always seems to chicken out of runs for higher office at the last moment

No, he's just being very careful about when he runs statewide.  He's on a good committee and has a safe House seat.  He isn't gonna risk that unless the time is right.  Strickland's running this time, so of course Ryan won't run this time.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2015, 03:57:14 PM »

No, he's just being very careful about when he runs statewide.  He's on a good committee and has a safe House seat.  He isn't gonna risk that unless the time is right.  Strickland's running this time, so of course Ryan won't run this time.
Strickland is still a maybe and is way past his prime(reminds me of tommy Thompson in 2012) so I think Ryan would have been the better candidate, I think he might never run for senate or gov and rather seek a committee chair or leadership position in the house
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2015, 07:32:48 PM »

I didn't realize how old Strickland was and how extremely young Sittenfeld is.

That being said... Strickland has less to loose and more of a shot of winning than P.G. I always like to see competitive primaries, though.

Either way, I can't imagine Strickland will stick around too long in the Senate due to 1). loosing re-election or 2). retirement.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2015, 09:56:08 PM »

Sittenfeld was born in 1984?!? I pictured a guy born in 1952 in my head for some reason.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2015, 10:12:34 PM »

That being said... Strickland has less to loose and more of a shot of winning than P.G. I always like to see competitive primaries, though.

Either way, I can't imagine Strickland will stick around too long in the Senate due to 1). loosing re-election or 2). retirement.

Strickland is doing this as a favor to the Democratic party knowing how important Ohio is and how critical this seat is to winning back the senate.  Ryan will run for gov in the future.

This very situation reminds me of Madigan passing up the senate run to perhaps run for gov, in giving way to Duckworth,  who said she is almost certain to run today.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2015, 11:00:40 PM »

The funny thing is that Sittenfeld still looks older than Josh Mandel.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2015, 03:12:27 PM »

Strickland's old, but I'd rather have a Democratic senator who can hold a seat for a single term than a candidate who might be able to hold it for several terms but will never get the seat in the first place. For me the the debate is not "Multiple terms > One-termer" but rather "One termer > No terms at all"

Plus I'm sure after the disastrous FitzGerald campaign, the national and state Democratic Party isn't eager to entrust another big race to a fresh but inexperienced face.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2015, 09:37:00 AM »

Strickland's raising money.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2015, 12:16:34 PM »

I know Strickland's old at age 73, but am I the only one that thinks he looks amazing for his age?

He's 11 years older than Kasich, he's like the Mitt Romney of Ohio
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2015, 03:11:13 PM »

^I noticed that as well. I was shocked when I saw he was in his late 60s (in 2010).
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #146 on: February 22, 2015, 10:48:10 PM »

Strickland could announce as early as this week. How quickly will Sittenfeld bail?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2015, 01:33:05 AM »

Great news! I don't really get why Sittenfeld didn't just wait and see if Strickland was going to run before declaring anyway.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2015, 02:48:15 AM »

Perhaps an attempt to get name recognition for a future statewide run?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2015, 02:50:28 AM »

^ Thats the theory on RRH, and it makes sense to me.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies