OH-Sen: Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld likely running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:28:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Sen: Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld likely running
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14
Author Topic: OH-Sen: Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld likely running  (Read 37937 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2015, 01:01:10 PM »

Stupendous news! The 2016 Democratic wave is building!
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2015, 01:42:35 PM »

I want to hear Adam's thoughts on this.

I guess this means Ryan is out then.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2015, 02:23:02 PM »

Strickland is too old I prefer Ryan.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »

Strickland will probably win the race, but when Ryan said he changed his position on abortion, it prompted him into race. D+1 with Ryan or Strickland.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2015, 03:28:22 PM »

Let's be real - Strickland probably loses. Dude would be an ancient freshman - Portman can make the case that he would be a more effective Senator for Ohio and probably be correct.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2015, 03:35:59 PM »

Let's be real - Strickland probably loses. Dude would be an ancient freshman - Portman can make the case that he would be a more effective Senator for Ohio and probably be correct.

Voters caring about seniority is a thing of the past.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »

Voters caring about seniority is a thing of the past.

Strickland is an ally of Hillary and should help Hilary out in campaigning, it should take some of the heat off of her in campaigning in the state and can focus on PA, where we have Sestak running against Toomey that will be a swing race as well.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2015, 04:28:29 PM »

If, by whatever chance, Strickland runs and wins, I see him as being a one termer. Then it'll probably be the sixth year of a Hillary administration. The seat will just flip back.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2015, 06:01:30 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2015, 06:09:15 PM by Joffrey Baratheon, King of the Vicious Idiots »

Strickland's odds of beating Portman are about 50%.  Ryan will presumably run for Governor in 2018 (and would probably be the slight favorite in the general, especially given that Husted and DeWine are expected to spend the primary season beating the crap out of each other).  The Presidential election will bring out urban voters and Strickland is still basically a folk hero in Appalachia.  For whatever reason, his appeal there was never really hurt by Obama.  The dude's had quite a bit of fire in his belly since he left office and he'd start with both a strong pre-existing fundraising network and higher name recognition than Portman.  

@ Adam: Dude, Strickland *is* a progressive.  He's also extremely electable and Sittenfield simply isn't nearly a strong enough candidate yet to knock off Portman.  It doesn't really matter that Strickland will be a fairly old freshman, Ryan and him are our only potential candidates who could knock off Portman.  Portman needs to be beaten before he runs for President and/or gets entrenched (he could very easily become Grassley-level entrenched if left alone for a cycle or two).  Furthermore, Sittenfield is not "our candidate," at least not yet.  He isn't entitled to the nomination, he hasn't won the primary.  As I said before though, I would love for Sittenfield to run against John Cranley for Cincinnati Mayor, I think he could win.  Not only would this be a considerable improvement ideologically speaking, it'd also position Sittenfield for a statewide run of some sort down the road.  Losing in a landslide to Portman won't do Sittenfield any favors, especially when he's hardly our strongest candidate.

Edit: @Adam: Good article, I definitely agree about the categories of Ohio Democratic voters and activists.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »

X, my OH-GOP sources are saying that there will be a "move up". (See below)

Gov/Lt Gov: Taylor/Husted
SoS: Mandel
Treas: DeWine
AG: Yost
Auditor: Open
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2015, 09:14:03 PM »

X, my OH-GOP sources are saying that there will be a "move up". (See below)

Gov/Lt Gov: Taylor/Husted
SoS: Mandel
Treas: DeWine
AG: Yost
Auditor: Open

I've heard:

Gov: Husted vs. DeWine
SoS: Huh
Treasurer: Huh
AG: Yost vs. Faber
Auditor: Duffy

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2015, 09:31:49 PM »

Isn't DeWine a little bit long in the tooth to be taking up new office that isn't the Governorship?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2015, 10:12:57 PM »

Isn't DeWine a little bit long in the tooth to be taking up new office that isn't the Governorship?

Yeah, plus Husted and him really don't like each other.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2015, 11:06:31 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2015, 11:08:20 PM by MW Governor LeBron FitzGerald »

X is right about who the GOP will get in 2018 for Gov and AG. There may be some differing on SoS and Auditor though.

Gov - It's going to be Husted vs. DeWine. At DeWine's age, it's make it or break it time for him and Husted has always been a very ambitious Republican. They'll tear each other apart.

SoS - Larry Obhof I've heard might be interested. He's going to run for something, and I remember last year he vigorously defended and cosponsored the voter suppression legislation that passed. This would be his office to run for.

Attorney General - Dave Yost. He could get a primary challenge from Faber possibly for his past defiance of the Ohio GOP, though it should be safe to say he'll get the GOP nod.

Treasurer - Scott Ryan has gotten a few mentions.

Auditor - Clarence Mingo maybe? McClain is also a possibility.

As for who will challenge Sherrod, there's a good chance Stivers will run here. He's fundraising for a future run at some point, and he's an establishment favorite.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2015, 08:32:41 AM »

X is right about who the GOP will get in 2018 for Gov and AG. There may be some differing on SoS and Auditor though.

Gov - It's going to be Husted vs. DeWine. At DeWine's age, it's make it or break it time for him and Husted has always been a very ambitious Republican. They'll tear each other apart.

SoS - Larry Obhof I've heard might be interested. He's going to run for something, and I remember last year he vigorously defended and cosponsored the voter suppression legislation that passed. This would be his office to run for.

Attorney General - Dave Yost. He could get a primary challenge from Faber possibly for his past defiance of the Ohio GOP, though it should be safe to say he'll get the GOP nod.

Treasurer - Scott Ryan has gotten a few mentions.

Auditor - Clarence Mingo maybe? McClain is also a possibility.

As for who will challenge Sherrod, there's a good chance Stivers will run here. He's fundraising for a future run at some point, and he's an establishment favorite.

For Auditor, Duffy may face a primary, but he defitinitely has right of first refusal among the Franklin County establishment.  Mingo may well run if he doesn't.

For Senate, I've heard Stivers vs. Taylor
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2015, 08:34:18 AM »

I would say Duckworth and Strickland and Sestak are potential winners in 2016 . Now we can find our fourth seat whichcan potentially lock down senate for the Dems.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2015, 09:47:09 AM »

If, by whatever chance, Strickland runs and wins, I see him as being a one termer. Then it'll probably be the sixth year of a Hillary administration. The seat will just flip back.

Something like 33% of newly elected senators should expect to be one-termers because of the U.S.'s opposite alternating electorates.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2015, 11:19:37 PM »

Yeah, that it why I'd prefer someone younger who could conceivably hold the seat for awhile.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2015, 04:12:52 AM »

We have Sherrod Brown, and this isn't a Democratic seat, but a seat that will perhaps give us the presidency and perhaps control of the US senate. I fully support Ted Strickland.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2015, 08:24:31 AM »

Strickland is quite, old, right?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2015, 10:38:16 AM »

Yeah, that it why I'd prefer someone younger who could conceivably hold the seat for awhile.

Except that's not one of the options.  It's basically a choice between a progressive who probably has about three or so terms in him and about a 50% chance of beating Portman (Strickland) and throwing away any chance of winning the seat by running a younger candidate who would lose to Portman by about the same margin as Lee Fisher did and damaging his own career in the process (Sittenfield).  Sittenfield may well be a rising star, but right now and in this race, he's a solid C-lister.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #96 on: February 01, 2015, 12:54:46 PM »

Except that's not one of the options.  It's basically a choice between a progressive who probably has about three or so terms in him and about a 50% chance of beating Portman (Strickland) and throwing away any chance of winning the seat by running a younger candidate who would lose to Portman by about the same margin as Lee Fisher did and damaging his own career in the process (Sittenfield).  Sittenfield may well be a rising star, but right now and in this race, he's a solid C-lister.
Strickland doesn't have 3 terms in him. The guy would be 75 upon inauguration, he’s not staying in the senate until 93. Two terms maximum.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2015, 01:36:23 PM »

Strickland doesn't have 3 terms in him. The guy would be 75 upon inauguration, he’s not staying in the senate until 93. Two terms maximum.

It's hardly unheard of for a Senator to stay in office despite being in their 90s.  You really have no basis for your assertion about how many terms he has in him.  Beyond which, Strickland would spend far more time fighting for Ohio in a single term than Portman would if he spent the rest of his life in the Senate.  In fairness, a half-eaten donut would be an improvement over Portman, but that's beside the point.  The bottom line is that if Portman wins, 95-99% of Ohioans lose (even if not all of them realize it).
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #98 on: February 01, 2015, 02:46:42 PM »

It's hardly unheard of for a Senator to stay in office despite being in their 90s.  You really have no basis for your assertion about how many terms he has in him.  Beyond which, Strickland would spend far more time fighting for Ohio in a single term than Portman would if he spent the rest of his life in the Senate.  In fairness, a half-eaten donut would be an improvement over Portman, but that's beside the point.  The bottom line is that if Portman wins, 95-99% of Ohioans lose (even if not all of them realize it).
It's not unheard of, but it's hardly common. Right now, the oldest senator, Feinstein, is only 81.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2015, 11:19:35 PM »

He's 73. If he were elected to the Senate in 2016, I think he'd be the oldest non-placeholder to enter the Senate...ever. But that doesn't mean he'd be a one-termer; like others have noted, others have served well into their 90s, and Strom Thurmond crossed the 100 barrier. He could stay in office for a while, especially if at 73 he still has the energy to do something new like this.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies