OH-Sen: Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld likely running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:27:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-Sen: Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld likely running
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: OH-Sen: Cincinnati Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld likely running  (Read 37936 times)
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: April 14, 2015, 11:52:31 AM »
« edited: April 14, 2015, 11:54:34 AM by LeBron FitzGerald »

I'm ashamed of the ODP. We're starting to go into FDP bad territory by nominating perennial losers for offices again and again (Fisher and now Strickland), and I had hoped when we got rid of Redfern we would see a good amount of reform in the selection process. Guess not.

Giving Chairman Pepper the benefit of the doubt he did want to remain neutral plus the endorsement of Strickland was really out of his power to stop (the blame goes on Strickland's organized labor friends who got this vote called). However, our party bylaws specifically state that an endorsement needs to be held in the year the primary takes place (2016, not 2015) and the endorsement needs to be "carefully considered" if there's more than one person running for the nomination and they completely ignored Sittenfeld's candidacy. In fact, the only reason they had this meeting rushed was because they knew Sittenfeld would be absent (due to pre-scheduled campaign events) and they wanted to keep this as secret as possible. If this endorsement says anything, it says that Strickland after finding out he's been out-raised is beyond desperate to crush Sittenfeld's candidacy and is scared to run on his record in a Democratic primary.

I'm usually against competitive primaries, but after what happened last year, and given the large contrast between Strickland and Sittenfeld, we should be given an engaging, contested primary. I myself would much rather prefer Strickland drop out, but that's much more unlikely than a primary.

A primary would help Strickland get back into fighting shape and Sittenfeld would be able to build his name statewide (look how well the Chiles-Nelson FL primary went for Nelson or how well the Lausche-Gilligan OH primary went for Gilligan). There's Ohio Democrats who want an experienced candidate next year, but there's also Ohio Democrats who want a change from the past retreads towards younger aspiring and energetic candidates.

Lol
Thank you for your insightful contribution! Smiley

Any time Tongue

I get that you really like Sittenfield, but about 99% of what you said in that post is simply not based in reality.  You're just not being objective about this and what you posted was really just a bunch of unskewedpolls.com-level spin.  Yes, I could explain point-by-point why pretty much none of your analysis in that post was sound as I've done with some of your past posts on this race, but its pretty clear that nothing I or anyone else says is going to make you see the light here and if that's the case, what's the point?  I don't wanna keep going in circles just for the sake of arguing.  
And I get that you like Strickland. But you're not always going to be right (and I won't always be right either). It's not really that my posts are off-base (most if not all of what I said in the above post is true), but more so that you have this condescending, "I'm smarter than you" attitude to you not only to me, but to others on the forum as well (sorry if this sounded harsh).

Regarding the first paragraph of my post, I'm not saying we're as bad as the FDP (obviously) but we're making FDP-like moves after one of the worst statewide elections last year for ODP in history. Not a good sign. The second paragraph is basic facts that Strickland did indeed break party bylaws in the process of getting the endorsement, although the last sentence in that is skewed a little towards my Sittenfeld fanboyism. And the last two paragraphs are just my defense that a primary isn't always necessarily a bad thing, and we need one in this case.

Plus X this is mostly a Strickland (not Sittenfeld) supporting forum. Obviously what I say in support of Sittenfeld (and diss Strickland in the process) isn't going to be well-liked here, but it's differing view points to this primary. Learn to accept it.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #226 on: April 14, 2015, 12:03:37 PM »

Please X, do not criticize Lebron's *skills*. You should remember how right he was about Fitzgerald in 2014.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2015, 12:17:51 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2015, 06:13:16 PM by LeBron FitzGerald »

Please X, do not criticize Lebron's *skills*. You should remember how right he was about Fitzgerald in 2014.
Everyone makes mistakes, but I see I'm becoming the new Keystone Phil now. Roll Eyes

Edit: Keep in mind, I said like 3 months before the election (right around the time of the implosion) that FitzGerald would lose. That, and I think we can all agree that most of our 2014 predictions sucked miserably (especially Governor races).
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #228 on: April 14, 2015, 02:54:31 PM »

It's not his fault that FitzGerald was banging Irish girls.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #229 on: April 14, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »

Yeah, to be fair, Fitzy looked like the perfect candidate. It's not like he was a clear bomb from the beginning.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #230 on: April 14, 2015, 06:14:03 PM »
« Edited: April 14, 2015, 06:16:47 PM by OC »

Strickland campaigned in 2014 for Dems, and actively spoke at the DNC convention in 2012, for Obama. I think this in itself give good reason why Strickland, not Sittenfield will be nominated, they will give him another spot at the convention in 2016, on behalf of Hilary.

Dems will have Strickland, Duckworth and Feingold there.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2015, 06:16:16 PM »

Yeah, to be fair, Fitzy looked like the perfect candidate. It's not like he was a clear bomb from the beginning.

"County executive" is not a perfect candidate. When Ed FitzGerald became the frontrunner it was clearly because everyone else said no and we settled on him. Adam was the only one who ever said FitzGerald was a perfect or even good candidate, which is exactly why I'm not reading any of his essay-length posts about how great PG Sittenfeld is.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #232 on: April 14, 2015, 09:27:15 PM »

Everyone makes mistakes, but I see I'm becoming the new Keystone Phil now. Roll Eyes

Edit: Keep in mind, I said like 3 months before the election (right around the time of the implosion) that FitzGerald would lose. That, and I think we can all agree that most of our 2014 predictions sucked miserably (especially Governor races).

Depends on what your definition of sucked miserably is. The average atlas prediction, as shown on the site's front page, got every senate race except NC right, which isn't sucky at all. The average gubernatorial prediction got ME, MD, FL, IL, and KS wrong, for 5 wrong predictions out of 36 races. That's not great, but it doesn't really fit something I'd call "sucked miserably". Granted, you can point to individual users who did worse than the average (I, for instance, got KS wrong as well on the Senate side, but had an identical prediction to the average on the governor's side), and some do deserve the "miserably sucked" title. But the average user does not.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #233 on: April 15, 2015, 04:57:55 AM »

You know obviously quite well OH politics. However, you're so skewed, I hope you realize that.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #234 on: April 15, 2015, 06:56:34 AM »

Nah, he only ran because Cordrey, Ryan, Strickland, and Sutton all said no.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2015, 09:18:29 PM »

You know obviously quite well OH politics. However, you're so skewed, I hope you realize that.
Thanks for saying that, and oh yeah I can admit I'm skewed towards Sittenfeld. I do come off as someone who's biased for him and I am dedicated to his campaign from this point on, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't know he would lose the primary. This is more personal support of him at this point due to his strong stances on equal rights issues and the inspiration his bold candidacy brings to some fellow Millennial's like myself.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #236 on: April 16, 2015, 07:40:20 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2015, 07:44:35 AM by X »

Thanks for saying that, and oh yeah I can admit I'm skewed towards Sittenfeld. I do come off as someone who's biased for him and I am dedicated to his campaign from this point on, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't know he would lose the primary. This is more personal support of him at this point due to his strong stances on equal rights issues and the inspiration his bold candidacy brings to some fellow Millennial's like myself.

My issue isn't that you support Sittenfield so much as that you do stuff like calling the ODP's support for Strickland an FDP move that shows Strickland is scared of Sittenfield, talk about the fundraising numbers completely out-of-context, or get so intense in your opposition to Strickland that I almost wondered if you'd vote Portman, etc that can be rather off-putting.  I'd think we could both agree that neither Strickland nor Sittenfield is an awful candidate.  What we really disagree on is whether Strickland can beat Portman.  Yes, there's stuff about Sittenfield that rubs me the wrong way (the ageism in the speech of his I saw at an FCDP event, the fact that he's literally said to another elected official that he's running because "the state legislature is too small for me," and the fact that he repeatedly promised to drop out if Strickland ran) but I could overlook all of that if I thought he could win and Strickland couldn't.

You are right about one thing though, I can be a bit condescending sometimes when talking about something I know a lot about (in this case Ohio politics) with someone whom I think is completely wrong.  It's not one of my better qualities.  However, I'm self-aware enough to realize this and I am working on it.  While it isn't really a problem IRL at this point, the feeling of anonymity that comes with talking online with folks I'll never meet means that every now and then I make posts that unintentionally have a bit of a condescending tone to them.  We all have our weaknesses, this is one of mine.  I didn't need to respond in such a dismissive manner and I apologize for that (even though I was completely right on the substance of my post Wink ).  I could've just not responded to your post if I didn't feel like debating at the time.

In any event, if you like Sittenfield, you should be hoping he drops out or at least cuts back on the negativity/ageism because he's burning a lot of bridges.  If he dropped out and ran against Chabot he'd probably lose, but he could still boost his name recognition for a 2018 row-office run, establish serious national fundraising connections, repair the bridges he's burned so far, and prove that he can overperform in tough territory in the Cincinnati area.  

I don't want to see him go the way of Paul Hackett.  Unlike Sittenfield, Hackett had a right to be pissed since IIRC Brown originally said he wasn't running in 2006, but once Brown got in, Hackett should've dropped out and run against Schmidt in OH-2.  Had he done so, he definitely would've won.  However, he stayed in even though he just was not ready to play at that level yet and would've probably lost to DeWine.  Eventually Hackett dropped out, but by then he had burned any bridges he had in the ODP and couldn't even run in OH-2.  He became a McCain-level bitter and hollow shell of his former self and hasn't been heard from since.  I have less sympathy for Sittenfield since he promised everyone and their brother that he'd drop out if Strickland or Tim Ryan ran for Senate...until Strickland got in the race.

I do have to ask though, why exactly do you hate Strickland so much?  A lot of your attacks on him are pretty out there For example, no offense, but I think we can agree Strickland isn't homophobe just because he's friends with someone who is one (Garrison).  And a lot of the stuff you said about the budget being completely his fault, the state economy being a mess because of him, claims about him being really unpopular, etc simply isn't true.  That's not my opinion or me being condescending, I mean what you've said sometimes directly contradicted the objective facts.  So why the intense Strickland hate?

Lastly, the ODP decided (with about 80% voting in favor) to make an exception to the bylaws and endorse Strickland.  That isn't Strickland being afraid, it's something that was clearly going to happen if Strickland got in no matter what.  Most OH Democrats (especially in the ODP establishment, but even the rank-and-file) really like Strickland.  He does have some work to do in terms of improving his GOTV operation in African-American communities (especially in eastern Cuyahoga County), but the fact that he's already reaching out to local elected officials makes me optimistic that he's learned from his one big mistake in 2006.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2015, 12:38:55 AM »

My issue isn't that you support Sittenfeld so much as that you do stuff like calling the ODP's support for Strickland an FDP move that shows Strickland is scared of Sittenfield, talk about the fundraising numbers completely out-of-context, or get so intense in your opposition to Strickland that I almost wondered if you'd vote Portman, etc that can be rather off-putting.  I'd think we could both agree that neither Strickland nor Sittenfield is an awful candidate.  What we really disagree on is whether Strickland can beat Portman.  Yes, there's stuff about Sittenfield that rubs me the wrong way (the ageism in the speech of his I saw at an FCDP event, the fact that he's literally said to another elected official that he's running because "the state legislature is too small for me," and the fact that he repeatedly promised to drop out if Strickland ran) but I could overlook all of that if I thought he could win and Strickland couldn't.

You are right about one thing though, I can be a bit condescending sometimes when talking about something I know a lot about (in this case Ohio politics) with someone whom I think is completely wrong.  It's not one of my better qualities.  However, I'm self-aware enough to realize this and I am working on it.  While it isn't really a problem IRL at this point, the feeling of anonymity that comes with talking online with folks I'll never meet means that every now and then I make posts that unintentionally have a bit of a condescending tone to them.  We all have our weaknesses, this is one of mine.  I didn't need to respond in such a dismissive manner and I apologize for that (even though I was completely right on the substance of my post Wink ).  I could've just not responded to your post if I didn't feel like debating at the time.

In any event, if you like Sittenfield, you should be hoping he drops out or at least cuts back on the negativity/ageism because he's burning a lot of bridges.  If he dropped out and ran against Chabot he'd probably lose, but he could still boost his name recognition for a 2018 row-office run, establish serious national fundraising connections, repair the bridges he's burned so far, and prove that he can overperform in tough territory in the Cincinnati area.  

I don't want to see him go the way of Paul Hackett.  Unlike Sittenfield, Hackett had a right to be pissed since IIRC Brown originally said he wasn't running in 2006, but once Brown got in, Hackett should've dropped out and run against Schmidt in OH-2.  Had he done so, he definitely would've won.  However, he stayed in even though he just was not ready to play at that level yet and would've probably lost to DeWine.  Eventually Hackett dropped out, but by then he had burned any bridges he had in the ODP and couldn't even run in OH-2.  He became a McCain-level bitter and hollow shell of his former self and hasn't been heard from since.  I have less sympathy for Sittenfeld since he promised everyone and their brother that he'd drop out if Strickland or Tim Ryan ran for Senate...until Strickland got in the race.

I do have to ask though, why exactly do you hate Strickland so much?  A lot of your attacks on him are pretty out there For example, no offense, but I think we can agree Strickland isn't homophobe just because he's friends with someone who is one (Garrison).  And a lot of the stuff you said about the budget being completely his fault, the state economy being a mess because of him, claims about him being really unpopular, etc simply isn't true.  That's not my opinion or me being condescending, I mean what you've said sometimes directly contradicted the objective facts.  So why the intense Strickland hate?

Lastly, the ODP decided (with about 80% voting in favor) to make an exception to the bylaws and endorse Strickland.  That isn't Strickland being afraid, it's something that was clearly going to happen if Strickland got in no matter what.  Most OH Democrats (especially in the ODP establishment, but even the rank-and-file) really like Strickland.  He does have some work to do in terms of improving his GOTV operation in African-American communities (especially in eastern Cuyahoga County), but the fact that he's already reaching out to local elected officials makes me optimistic that he's learned from his one big mistake in 2006.
The ODP isn't FDP bad (our lower-tier bench is better than the FDP's among other things), but the FDP have problems with nominating well-known perennial losers with bad track records, and it only gets worse when they keep on running. I don't want to see us go on the path to that, and maybe Strickland can prove all of us skeptical of another run by him wrong. As for the fundraising numbers while Strickland will out-raise Sittenfeld next time, those numbers did suggest that Strickland is going to face trouble fighting Portman's cash haul and that P.G. could have been a strong fundraiser/candidate without another top-tier Democrat running (he had national fundraising connections before with colleagues of the Obama and Clinton families). I don't really mind the ageism thing because Strickland has also been pointing fingers at P.G.'s age and inexperience (for example, Ted's "Little League game" comments were out-of-line). I think P.G. wants to run a positive-oriented campaign, however ODP leaders don't seem like they're willing to unify with both Ted and P.G. against Portman. Since age is becoming an issue though, and as a 20 year old I do admittedly have a problem with Ted's age, it may have been safer for the ODP and DSCC to back Tim Ryan instead. Ryan's arguably the strongest candidate and P.G. wouldn't have as much reason to stay in against Ryan.

No need to apologize! You're a really nice guy, and I can see how Internet anonymity might be a problem. It comes out how you may not prefer it to sound. I have my own problems to fix as well (specifically not being as hackish for the Ohio Democrats I support and not dissing whoever they run against so much Tongue), so yeah I'm glad we see eye to eye here.

What I like about this primary is how different these two are and it would be nice to have a choice between one or the other. They should let P.G. stay in as a way of helping him with his 90% no name ID problem. On the May 2016 ballot, I would honestly be disheartened if there was only one option. If P.G. did drop out, it would work out best to avoid Chabot and instead run to replace term-limited Rep. Driehaus in her Cincinnati State House district and maybe after that run for SoS if Kathleen Clyde isn't interested. P.G. appears to be honest though when he says he's all in. Ambition is his middle name, after all. I'll continue to donate and campaign for him as long as 1) he's on the primary ballot next year, 2) he continues to put in committed efforts to campaigning around the state, and 3) after the primary, he repairs his relationships with the help of Chairman Pepper to ensure he keeps any political future of his intact.

Otherwise, I think it would have worked out better imo had Ted given the nod to Ryan or Sittenfeld to run statewide for Senate with the backing of the establishment and major donors while Strickland ran for OH-6 (which he could probably win given how incredibly weak the current GOP incumbent there is). It might be a step down, but what Strickland might want most in his final years of his political career is to represent the district again that he does consider home.

The same Hackett situation happened with Sittenfeld, actually. Strickland initially said he wasn't running and Strickland didn't make known that he was going to run until after about only one or two weeks of P.G. jumping in. So I can see why P.G. would be mad about this. P.G. changed his mind about dropping out, however Strickland also changed his mind about jumping in. They're even, and neither owes one or the other anything.

I don't think he's a homophobe, but he's far from an advocate for the gay rights movement, either. He's from a generation that thinks it's wrong for two gay guys or two lesbian girls to be together, and I'm not saying he opposes gay rights (a majority of his House record shows support for them), just he doesn't understand the issue all that well and he's never made it a priority. Regarding the Garrison thing, Ted making her Ohio House Majority Leader back during the 2009-2010 session did major damage to the chance the Equal Housing and Employment Act had of passing the legislature during that. She stalled the bill as long as she could, and I even heard she told fellow Democrats to vote no on it and pleaded with the Senate not to take it up. Beyond that, Strickland also voted for DADT in 1993, but that was so long ago that I can let it go. Compared to P.G. though, Strickland is mediocre on LGBT rights. Regarding the budget, while he did have an uncompromising GOP Senate, Strickland had the option to line-item veto the tax cuts for the wealthy and spending cuts to healthcare centers, libraries, etc, but he didn't. The economy wasn't Ted's fault (the recession was to blame on Bush of course). However Portman's going to spend so much money in this race that he'll make many Ohio swing voters believe again that Strickland was responsible for it.

The 80% ODP vote for Strickland only came from 82 members (out of roughly 150 members total). Problem was, many were no shows because it was so last minute (including P.G. who should have been there per party rules before calling a vote). Strickland was probably going to get the nomination either way but he should have had no problem hearing the "don't endorse" opposition from the likes of Sittenfeld and OSC Justice Bill O'Neill. There were many who didn't get a chance to show up that wanted the ODP to stay neutral, and there's Ohio Democrats in leadership and activists on social media that are condemning the endorsement as a "coronation" and a "backroom deal." I tend to agree since the ODP executive committee itself more often than not aren't very good (to say the least) at picking our nominees, and we need a change from that.

As for Strickland's weaknesses, his problem with GOTV with African Americans leaks into his problems with young voters (IIRC 18-29 year old voters in 2010 in Ohio had a 10% smaller turnout rate than the national average). He had (and might still have) issues with allocating resources efficiently and not doing well-enough with public relations/messaging. Like recent Senate candidates, I have a feeling Strickland isn't going to be able to unite all of Appalachia around him (Portman will heavily hurt his advantage there) and he's going to under-perform in places where the Obama coalition does well in Ohio. We'll see what happens, but I think Portman wins by mid-single digits.

tl;dr, I know guys. Tongue
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #238 on: April 21, 2015, 08:03:35 PM »

A new editorial is out by Brent Larkin reporting that after Sittenfeld said he would stay in the race after the ODP's endorsement of Strickland, party leaders within the party are about to start a smear campaign against him.

It's not completely the same as in this situation of course, but five years ago, both Brunner and Fisher weren't racking in as much money as they could have had Democrats backed behind one candidate and to make matters worse there were internal and public bombshells being thrown in the primary to weaken each other when Democrats should have used that time uniting against Portman. Those who don't learn history just might be doomed to repeat it, I guess.

As a young college Democrat from Cleveland I don't have any authority to say what happens high up in the ODP down in Columbus, but a toddler could figure out that trying to ruin the career of one of the party's top rising stars is not a good idea, either.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2015, 05:34:43 AM »

A new editorial is out by Brent Larkin reporting that after Sittenfeld said he would stay in the race after the ODP's endorsement of Strickland, party leaders within the party are about to start a smear campaign against him.

It's not completely the same as in this situation of course, but five years ago, both Brunner and Fisher weren't racking in as much money as they could have had Democrats backed behind one candidate and to make matters worse there were internal and public bombshells being thrown in the primary to weaken each other when Democrats should have used that time uniting against Portman. Those who don't learn history just might be doomed to repeat it, I guess.

As a young college Democrat from Cleveland I don't have any authority to say what happens high up in the ODP down in Columbus, but a toddler could figure out that trying to ruin the career of one of the party's top rising stars is not a good idea, either.

Sittenfield isn't a rising star at this point. 
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #240 on: April 24, 2015, 02:02:16 AM »

His rising star status has taken a dive in the past month, though I wouldn't call it completely gone yet. Of course if Ohio Democratic party leaders go through with this smear campaign and open these big wounds on Sittenfeld, then his future may as well be gone.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #241 on: April 24, 2015, 02:20:36 AM »

His rising star status has taken a dive in the past month, though I wouldn't call it completely gone yet. Of course if Ohio Democratic party leaders go through with this smear campaign and open these big wounds on Sittenfeld, then his future may as well be gone.

Sittenfeld needs to do the right thing and drop out today. Apologize to Strickland and the OH Dems for staying in as long as he did, respect the party's endorsement, endorse Strickland himself, and leave the race. Regardless of the success level with the upcoming smear campaign, a respectful, even if slightly late, withdrawal, will be much better for his future than a 20-30 point primary loss to Strickland. He has absolutely no chance of winning the primary, and 'embarrassing' Strickland will likely be a net negative for the GE and give Sittenfeld a Teachout-Like image, which is probably not what he's going for.

Even I agree that Strickland would be a better senator than Portman. But Portman is no pushover, and Strickland will need to run a great campaign to defeat him despite what will be Portman's massive use of repackaged ads from the 2010 gubernatorial race. Having a primary challenger will do nothing but hurt Strickland, and it's time for Sittenfeld to drop out.
Panda Express

« Reply #242 on: April 24, 2015, 05:03:36 AM »

This P.G. guy must be the dumbest politician in all of Ohio. In what universe is running from a councilman to a senator a good idea? He should have run for state senate/congress/State Auditor etc first. Now he's going to go down in flames as cannon fodder in the primary.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #243 on: April 24, 2015, 05:24:14 PM »

This P.G. guy must be the dumbest politician in all of Ohio. In what universe is running from a councilman to a senator a good idea? He should have run for state senate/congress/State Auditor etc first. Now he's going to go down in flames as cannon fodder in the primary.
Not too surprising, considering the democrats literally ran a school board member in Wisconsin last year (burke).
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #244 on: April 24, 2015, 05:32:21 PM »

Not too surprising, considering the democrats literally ran a school board member in Wisconsin last year (burke).

She was also the former Wisconsin Secretary of Commerce, and led Walker in the polls at some points.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #245 on: April 24, 2015, 05:39:28 PM »

If Adam is supporting Sittenfeld, then he'll lose just like FitzGerald did.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #246 on: May 02, 2015, 07:57:28 PM »

Sittenfeld needs to do the right thing and drop out today. Apologize to Strickland and the OH Dems for staying in as long as he did, respect the party's endorsement, endorse Strickland himself, and leave the race. Regardless of the success level with the upcoming smear campaign, a respectful, even if slightly late, withdrawal, will be much better for his future than a 20-30 point primary loss to Strickland. He has absolutely no chance of winning the primary, and 'embarrassing' Strickland will likely be a net negative for the GE and give Sittenfeld a Teachout-Like image, which is probably not what he's going for.

Even I agree that Strickland would be a better senator than Portman. But Portman is no pushover, and Strickland will need to run a great campaign to defeat him despite what will be Portman's massive use of repackaged ads from the 2010 gubernatorial race. Having a primary challenger will do nothing but hurt Strickland, and it's time for Sittenfeld to drop out.
Sittenfeld doesn't owe Strickland anything. Take it from me who regrettably attacked Brian Schweitzer last year over the Montana Senate seat incident, Sittenfeld should do whatever he, his friends/family and supporters want him to do, not what the party wants.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #247 on: May 02, 2015, 08:11:48 PM »

How does getting crushed 3-1 in a primary help his career again?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #248 on: May 02, 2015, 08:57:47 PM »

Name recognition!1!!

But it doesn't help that this is likely to be a very low turnout primary. Didn't Strickland also represent an Appalachian district? I don't really see then how Sittenfeld gets protest votes from them (because of soshulist obummer) if Strickland represented them.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #249 on: May 04, 2015, 02:44:03 PM »

Name recognition!1!!

But it doesn't help that this is likely to be a very low turnout primary. Didn't Strickland also represent an Appalachian district? I don't really see then how Sittenfeld gets protest votes from them (because of soshulist obummer) if Strickland represented them.
Ohio Democratic primaries always have low turnout, but yeah he did used to represent a district that extended from Youngstown on down to the Kentucky border. Strickland will carry Appalachia in the primary in a blowout no matter what.

It wouldn't be worthwhile for Sittenfeld to campaign in Appalachia in the primary anyways. Just to provide some reasons behind this, 1) Democrats there aren't the Democrats who Sittenfeld wants to identify with, 2) He's naturally a bad fit for SE Ohio, 3) He's running against Ted Strickland and 4) The region doesn't supply all that many votes due to weak registration/turnout numbers (for example, in Strickland's 2006 Democratic primary he got roughly only 16-18% of his total overall votes from Southeast Ohio). It might be best for him to avoid Central Ohio as well (that's very solid, unbreakable Strickland territory).

Sittenfeld's best strategy as long as he stays in is to continue campaigning on college campuses with the youth voting block, and to focus on the two regions where he has the strongest potential of doing well (Southwest and Northeast Ohio). Most of his donors and support are coming from SW Ohio (to be expected) and Strickland under-performs all the time up here in NE Ohio with Democratic base votes, so if I were Sittenfeld I would take full advantage of that.

That aside, he has a floor of about 30% and a ceiling of 40% when all's said and done.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies