French terror attacks
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:49:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French terror attacks
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Author Topic: French terror attacks  (Read 29172 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2015, 10:42:07 AM »

It is almost unbearable that someone can just gun down a guy like him.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2015, 10:47:38 AM »

They were some of the most brilliant, witty, kind, principled minds of my country. They were moved by the belief that freedom of expression is an everyday fight. France will never be the same without them.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2015, 11:05:57 AM »

Apparently, two witnesses claim that one of the attackers claimed affiliation with al Qaeda, with one of them specificially claiming affiliation with al Qaeda in Yemen:

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 11:22:57 AM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2015, 11:42:09 AM »

Sad

RIP, great editors and others.

Hopefully they catch these suckers soon.

PS: Too bad I can't read what's on these cartoons. Would someone mind translating a few ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 11:55:38 AM »

Sad

RIP, great editors and others.

Hopefully they catch these suckers soon.

PS: Too bad I can't read what's on these cartoons. Would someone mind translating a few ?

The ones I posted, from top to bottom:
- Fascist, 700000 years ago; Fascist, 50000 years ago; Fascist, 12000 years ago; Fascist, today
- Right-wing austerity: "I can't have a shower every day"; Left-wing austerity: "I have to renounce to my 32th swimming pool"
- FN voters want to be heard: "We want to be heard! We want to be heard! We want to be heard!" "Actually, you have nothing else to say"
- France to help Syrian rebels: "The latest book from Bernard Henri-Levy, for free!"
- Women are the future of fanatics
- Banking earthquake: "300€ overdraft, that's too much!" "3,000,000,000€ overdraft, we can find an arrangement"
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 12:13:12 PM »

Thanks.

I'm also in favour that tomorrow, every major newspaper in Europe should print a joint Mohammed caricature/cartoon to show the fundies that freedom of speech cannot be gunned down.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 12:18:41 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2015, 12:20:12 PM by CrabCake »

terrible Sad

Thanks.

I'm also in favour that tomorrow, every major newspaper in Europe should print a joint Mohammed caricature/cartoon to show the fundies that freedom of speech cannot be gunned down.

seems unproductive. an al-Baghdadi cartoon, maybe.

quite from Charb

"I am not afraid of retaliation. I have no kids, no wife, no car, no credit. It perhaps sounds a bit pompous, but I prefer to die standing than living on my knees."
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 12:22:07 PM »

Horrific beyond words. RIP to those who were murdered.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 12:23:44 PM »

terrible Sad

Thanks.

seems unproductive. an al-Baghdadi cartoon, maybe.

That would of course work too.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 12:32:53 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2015, 12:36:08 PM by politicus »

Seems unproductive. an al-Baghdadi cartoon, maybe.

It would not only be unproductive, but counterproductive because it would allow the terrorists to justify their actions as defending Islam (they would make the link from the death cartoonists to this new attack on the Prophet, which would work despite being completely illogical). Al-Baghdadi on the other hand would be a fine solution. He is widely hated in the Islamic world as well.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 12:35:51 PM »

It would not only be unproductive, but counterproductive because it would allow the terrorists to justify their actions as defending Islam. Al-Baghdadi on the other hand would be a fine solution. He is widely hated in the Islamic world as well.

It would be more counterproductive than that time George W. Bush said that America was on a "crusade."
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 12:38:59 PM »

It would not only be unproductive, but counterproductive because it would allow the terrorists to justify their actions as defending Islam. Al-Baghdadi on the other hand would be a fine solution. He is widely hated in the Islamic world as well.

It would be more counterproductive than that time George W. Bush said that America was on a "crusade."

I agree, it would certainly stir up the whole hornet's nest. But the question is, should we really move back on our hard-fought ideals of free spech, just because some fundies are hurt about their "religious feelings" ?
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2015, 12:40:57 PM »

May they rest in peace. Condolences to their families and friends.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2015, 01:02:36 PM »

Absolutely horrible. The cowards and terrorists behind this need to be shot or locked up forever.

However, at the same time, I hope (a futile hope, mind you) that people don't overreact respond with hatred, intolerance and mindless knee-jerk xenophobia. I'm sure the last thing these free-thinkers would have wanted is for people to embrace Panzergirl's hatred and racism. Alas, it's France and not Canada.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2015, 01:07:59 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2015, 01:17:46 PM by bgwah »

Yes, the most important thing here is for us to be concerned with hurting the terrorists' feelings.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »

Yes, the most important thing here is for us to be concerned with hurting the terrosists' feelings.

No one are concerned with the terrorists feelings, some of us are concerned with how the far right (ab)uses this and how ISIS may abuse a stupid reaction to gain sympathy among (minor parts of) the Muslim community in Europe and the Middle East.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2015, 01:14:22 PM »

I agree, it would certainly stir up the whole hornet's nest. But the question is, should we really move back on our hard-fought ideals of free spech, just because some fundies are hurt about their "religious feelings" ?

Well, I don't think any newspaper who chooses to publish cartoons should be prosecuted or censored by the government; and they should be protected by police if they do so - but I feel that antagonising more Muslims serves the "Us vs Them" narrative that serves both Panzergirl and al-Baghdadi (and their ilk) - both FN and radical Islam need each other, grow in tandem and feed on the same sorts of personality.

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »

Absolutely vile.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2015, 01:19:53 PM »

Absolutely horrible. The cowards and terrorists behind this need to be shot or locked up forever.

However, at the same time, I hope (a futile hope, mind you) that people don't overreact respond with hatred, intolerance and mindless knee-jerk xenophobia. I'm sure the last thing these free-thinkers would have wanted is for people to embrace Panzergirl's hatred and racism. Alas, it's France and not Canada.

Yes. Today more than ever, we need to come together as a people. All those who believe in the values of liberty and justice - the values these people died for - must join. The barbarians will have won if communities continue jumping at each other's throats.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 01:48:01 PM »

Well this is deeply unpleasant.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2015, 01:52:27 PM »

So, any claims of responsibility/denial from Al Qaida yet?
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2015, 01:55:34 PM »

Yes, the most important thing here is for us to be concerned with hurting the terrosists' feelings.

No one are concerned with the terrorists feelings, some of us are concerned with how the far right (ab)uses this and how ISIS may abuse a stupid reaction to gain sympathy among (minor parts of) the Muslim community in Europe and the Middle East.

If someone sees an equivalence between expressing an idea and what ISIS does, there's no reason to cater to them. These "Muslim moderates" who might become terrorists if we make fun of their religion or kill too many people with drones, if they actually exist, they are not moderates.

Free speech is an issue where you need to draw a line in the sand.  You shouldn't allow anyone to chill free speech with threats of violence.  That means you can't silence people because you think they're stupid, or unhelpful, or extreme, or racist, or anything.  We need to have a marketplace of ideas where everyone is on an equal footing.  That means Muslims can't keep bullying people.  So, I think the media should publish offensive cartoons in solidarity.  They can do this to a few brave outlets, but they can't do this to everyone.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2015, 01:55:49 PM »

So, free speech is okay but only when it preaches diversity and tolerance. Sorry, but that isn't free speech. Certain communities need to accept that when they move to a Western nation they will have to listen to people who disagree with them.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2015, 02:00:56 PM »

This is disgusting and abhorrent in every sense of the word. Hopefully those responsible will be brought to justice and this tragic episode doesn't become the rallying call for Islamophobic, far-right bigots that it unfortunately has all the potential to become, given the circumstances and the media narrative thus far. The last thing we need in a situation like this is the further sowing of hard feelings and hatreds between those who have more in common than they might otherwise think at the moment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies