The Mideast Record-Courier (Exclusive Interview with Roy Barnes)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:48:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Mideast Record-Courier (Exclusive Interview with Roy Barnes)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: The Mideast Record-Courier (Exclusive Interview with Roy Barnes)  (Read 30552 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2015, 08:41:12 PM »

Statement
I would like to thank everyone for their feedback, particularly those who voiced their concerns about the Record-Courier's electoral projections policy. I must admit that, having never covered an election of this magnitude before, discouraging late voters was not a possibility I had considered. That is my fault, and I will be taking action to guard against this in the future. While I do not think that abstaining from projections entirely is the way to go, there definitely needs to be some sort of wait period set in place before the media starts calling elections.

If anyone has anything else to say on this issue I would be happy to hear you out. In particular, I would be eager to talk with the heads of other Atlasian Media Organizations to see if we can't set up some sort of official policy.

-Harry S Truman
Editor, Mideast Record-Courier
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2015, 08:43:12 PM »

I don't think you've done anything wrong. I appreciated the projections.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2015, 12:20:11 AM »

I don't think you've done anything wrong. I appreciated the projections.

This.

It would be a shame to see one minor controversy overshadowing all your great work on this coverage.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2015, 01:49:29 AM »

Your election coverage was spot on. As other said you've done nothing wrong, and I don't think it stopped late turn out at all
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2015, 09:12:51 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2015, 10:26:32 PM by Harry S Truman »

The Mideast Record-Courier
February 23, 2015

Long-Time Senator Toppled
After nearly six years of service in the national legislature, Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee (Fed-NC) was toppled in his bid for reelection yesterday, with Secretary of the Interior Hagrid (Ind-SC) winning a hotly contested race by just two votes. Hagrid's victory brings to an end the longest uninterrupted tenure in the history of Atlasia, one that saw seventeen different presidential administrations and multiple party systems come and go while remaining, in many ways, the one constant factor in the federal government.
More than anything, Yankee's defeat - which comes just four months after he was unanimously reelected last October - signifies the degree to which the Federalists have fallen from power. Though the party enjoyed mild success under Presidents Duke (who did not join the party until late in his first term) and Lumine Von Reuental (Fed-OH), the party has always struggled on the national level, most recently loosing the once-safe Mideast Senate seat in October 2014 and their second At-Large seat last December. With Yankee's defeat, the Federalists are reduced to just one seat in the Senate and zero governorships, outvoted in both regards by TPP, a party which they outnumber significantly in terms of registration. That leaves At-Large Senator Cris (Fed-KS) as the only Federalist officeholder Nyman and one of two elected Federalists nationwide, the other being Mideast Assemblyman Johanus Calvinus Libertas (Fed-IN), raising the question of whether the party is indeed still a party at all.

IDS Now The South Once More
With the passage of a Constitutional Amendment backed by Governor Flo (TPP-MS) and former President Duke (TPP-TX), Atlasia's southernmost region has been stripped of the "Imperial" label, with the overwhelming majority of its citizens in approval. The amendment's passage brings to an end what many regard as a dark period in the South's history, when the organic traditions of the region were replaced by medieval titles, from the regional "Emperor" to the "Imperial Legislature" and the "Judicial Overlord". While the latter title, by public demand, remains in place, the amendment eliminates the other eccentricities, retitling the chief executive the "Governor" and the legislative body simply the "Southern Legislature". Upon learning of the amendment's passage, Governor Flo enthusiastically declared it to be a "great day for the South" and invited his constituents to the Governor's Mansion for a glass of North Carolina moonshine.

Projected Federal Election Results

President (74% Turnout)
Bore (Lab): 67 (52.3%)
Maxwell (DR): 39 (30.5%)
JCL (Fed): 17 (13.3%)
Others: 5 (3.9%)

Northeast Senate (76% Turnout)
Talleyrand (Lab): 16 (55.2%)
Cinyc (Ind): 9 (31.0%)
MattVT (TPP): 4 (13.8%)

Mideast Senate (80% Turnout)
Windjammer (Lab): 24 (60.0%)
Spiral (DR): 15 (37.5%)
Other: 1 (2.5%)

Southern Senate (80% Turnout)
Hagrid (Ind): 11 (55.0%)
North Carolina Yankee (Fed): 9 (45.0%)

Midwest Senate (66% Turnout)
TNF (Lab): 12 (54.5%)
Dereich (Fed): 9 (40.9%)
Others: 1 (4.5%)

*The Mideast total does not include Celtic Empire's vote, as it is unclear whether it is valid.

Pacific Senate (64% Turnout)
Theodore Cranberry (TPP): 15 (93.8%)
Others: 1 (6.2%)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2015, 10:03:43 PM »

Great reporting, and yes, projecting election results is nothing new whatsoever. I think people were upset with the words of "elected" or whatever, but that's just semantics.

Celtic's vote was invalid but you count it in turnout; he's a registered voter. Snowstalker, on the other hand (despite the fact that homely has him listed in the returns), I wouldn't count because he is not a registered voter.

Also, I think you mean 74% turnout for the presidential race and not 64% (128/174).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2015, 12:28:50 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Senate_History

Toppling a tower that big is dangerous. Tongue

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2015, 12:34:03 PM »

We had quite a run together looking back on that graph, but mine is tiny compared to yours Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2015, 12:40:53 PM »

Great to read the the South has not only overthrown NCY but also overthrown pseudo-monarchism.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2015, 01:20:35 PM »

Great to read the the South has not only overthrown NCY but also overthrown pseudo-monarchism.

Yes, it was high time those names were overturned. It took us long enough.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2015, 01:36:12 PM »

I was the last Dirty South Senator, the only IDS Senator and first Southern Senator. Amazing what longevity can entail. Tongue
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2015, 02:42:15 PM »

I was the last Dirty South Senator, the only IDS Senator and first Southern Senator. Amazing what longevity can entail. Tongue

We'll find a way to get you back in.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2015, 02:43:24 PM »

We'll find a way to get you back in.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »

Statement
Apparently, some whack-a-doodle terrorist organization in Idaho wants to kill me. Just to be clear, I am honored to be lumped in with the likes of Windjammer, Cris, Maxwell, and Lief and have no intention of ceasing publication of this newspaper. I suggest that said terrorists go boil their heads.

-Harry S Truman
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2015, 06:15:41 PM »

Statement
Apparently, some whack-a-doodle terrorist organization in Idaho wants to kill me. Just to be clear, I am honored to be lumped in with the likes of Windjammer, Cris, Maxwell, and Lief and have no intention of ceasing publication of this newspaper. I suggest that said terrorists go boil their heads.

-Harry S Truman

FF!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2015, 06:52:17 PM »

February 24, 2015

Assembly Considers Bill To Expand Lt. Governor's Powers
An amendment to the Mideast Constitution sponsored by Assemblyman Johanus Calvinus Libertas (Fed-IN) that would allow the lt. governor to cast tie-breaking votes in the regional legislature is currently before the Assembly. The amendment is supported by Governor TDAS04 (Lab-VA) and Lt. Governor Bmotely (DR-IN) as a way to make the lt. governor more relevant while simultaneously preventing deadlock in the regional government. While most in the Assembly have been generally supportive of the amendment, Assemblyman Earl A. Washburn (WSRP-ON) is vehemently opposed, calling the amendment "a politic tactic for the right wing to gain a majority in the Assembly." While leftists currently hold a majority in the Assembly on paper, the absence of Mideast Assemblyman CrabCake (Lab-MO) means that the chamber is effectively split between progressives and conservatives. If passed, the Amendment would have to be approved by Mideast voters before becoming part of the Mideast Constitution.

Anti-Inactivity Amendment Passes The Assembly
An amendment designed to combat inactivity in the regional government passed the Assembly earlier today, with the requisite three assemblymen voting in favor. The amendment, sponsored by Lt. Governor Bmotely (DR-IN), would allow the Assembly to expel any member of the regional legislature who has not posted in the Mideast Assembly thread for seven consecutive days. This is a change from the current Constitutional provision for inactive officeholders, which allows legislators to be removed from office only after missing five consecutive votes.
The Amendment enjoyed bipartisan support within the regional government, earning endorsements from Governor TDAS04 (Lab-VA), Speaker New Canadaland (Lab-ON), and Assemblyman Shua (DR-NU). Having passed the Assembly, it will now proceed to a public referendum before officially becoming part of the Mideast Constitution.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2015, 08:43:35 PM »

Just to clarify, I voted for it because the people should get a chance to vote on it. I wouldn't say I endorse it, but I don't really oppose it either.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2015, 09:08:14 PM »

Seven consecutive days still allows for some trolling of the system, but I think it's better than the five consecutive votes system, since regional legislatures don't have nearly as many votes as the Senate does.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2015, 02:31:48 PM »

I wish you had voted in that amendment election Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2015, 02:39:42 PM »

I wish you had voted in that amendment election Tongue

You did start it kind of early and I had to work the weekend. Tongue
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2015, 04:11:59 PM »

Statement
In spite of the attempt on my life earlier today, publication of this paper will go on as usual. The Mideast Record-Courier will not be intimidated by petty terrorists, nor will attacks on our democracy be tolerated. To prevent future attacks, all mail sent to this paper will be inspected by trained security personnel before being delivered to the staff.
My heart goes out to the family and friends of the intern who was killed in the blast, who out of respect to their privacy will remain unnamed for the present.

Harry S Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2015, 07:39:41 PM »

February 25, 2015

High Speed Rail Bill Passes Assembly
With the affirmative vote of Assemblyman Earl A. Washburn (WSRP-ON), the Mideast Record Courier can confirm that the Mideast High Speed Rail Expansion Act has passed the Assembly and will shortly be presented to Governor TDAS04 (Lab-VA) for his signature or veto. Authored by then-Governor Isaac Tmthforu94 and heavily amended over the course of the debate the bill would construct several new rail lines across the Mideast, connecting cities in six states. Additionally, the bill calls for a trans-regional rail line to be constructed in coordination with the Northeast, which would connect the City of Canton, Ohio with Pittsburg and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Having passed with broad bipartisan support, the bill is expected to be signed into law by Governor TDAS04 in what would be the largest accomplishment of his administration thus far,

Terrorist Attacks In Topeka, Indianapolis Raise National Security Concerns
In a continuation of the crisis begun with the attempted assassination of Mideast Regional Senator Windjammer yesterday, bombs detonated in the offices of the Mideast Record-Courier in Indianapolis and the Keystone Phil Federal Building in Topeka earlier today, with the Idaho-based terrorist group PMA suspected to have engineered the attacks. The attacks on the offices of the Record-Courier came after the release of a so-called "death list" announcing the impending assassination of Editor Harry S Truman, as well as a number of prominent Atlasians. Several hours later, the second bomb went off in Topeka, though it is unclear whether the bombers had a specific target. The current combined death toll from both attacks is currently at 19, with an additional 55 persons in Topeka injured. President Lumine Von Reuental (Ind-OH) is expected to address the crisis, including the formation of volunteer militia regiments in the Mideast, later this evening.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2015, 08:34:57 PM »

February 26, 2015

National Guard Deployed
Following the attack on Topeka, Kansas yesterday, the administration of President Lumine Von Reuental (Ind-OH) has taken quick and decisive action to uproot the terrorist organization calling itself the "PMA". Having already increased security in government buildings throughout the nation, the administration announced the deployment of the National Guard earlier this evening as law enforcement officials track down those responsible for the past days' attacks. The Guard's deployment was announced by Secretary of State Superique (TPP-AK), who in doing so called for all militia companies operating outside the supervision of their regions' governments to immediately disband. The Secretary called on all Atlasians to give the authorities their full cooperation, so as to hasten the end of the crisis.

Federal Budget Goes To Final Vote
After months of haggling, obstinance, and fierce debate, a final vote has been called in the Senate on the Fiscal Year of 2015 Budget Act. Delayed by disagreement over federal tax policy and uncertainty surrounding actual revenue totals, the completed budget will establish a $15 Billion surplus, money the Senate has moved to set aside for unforeseen expenses over the course of the coming year. The budget is backed both by incumbent President Lumine Von Reuental (Ind-OH) and, implicitly, by President-elect Bore (Lab-RI), who stated in calling for a vote that his chief priority was to get the budget passed as quickly as possible. As of this writing, senators of diverse persuasions have united to support the budget, suggesting that it could become law before the end of the current presidential term.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #123 on: February 27, 2015, 07:48:09 PM »

February 27, 2015

Federalists Debate Party's Future
After their catastrophic losses in the February 2015 elections, in which party stalwart North Carolina Yankee was ousted from the Southern Senate seat after nearly six years in office, and the subsequent defection of several of their most active members, including radio personality Foucaulf and President Lumine Von Reuental, Atlasian Federalists are seeking to revive their moribund party, with a post-convention discussion panel fielding a number of ideas for revitalizing what is today the most under-represented party in the country. Begun by party chairman and outgoing Senator Yankee (Fed-NC), the discussion has been spent mainly on debating various ways to fight the scourge that is inactivity, which remains, according to Southern Judicial Overlord PiT (Fed-LA), the largest and oldest challenge facing the party.
Of the suggestions currently on the table, the one that has garnered the most attention is that proposed by Mr. PiT, who suggested that several "corps" be created within the party, each with its own objective and organization. Each of these "corps" would be delegated with a specific task central to party organization, from public relations to proposing legislation and so on, and each would be chaired by an executive officer who would be responsible for organizing its efforts. This plan was endorsed by Senator Yankee, who said that the party needs to find a way to integrate new members as the first step towards reviving engagement amongst the center-right.

Government Action Takes Its Toll On PMA
Two militants affiliated with the terrorist organization known as "PMA" were killed by FBI agents earlier today, following a confrontation in which the militants refused to surrender and opened fire. With the confirmation of their deaths by the Game Moderator's office earlier today, they became the first terrorist casualties of a crisis that has so far claimed the lives of 21 Atlasians, including 18 killed in an attack on Topeka on Wednesday.
The militant's deaths came roughly 24 hours after the arrest of the group's treasurer, who was apprehended by federal officials yesterday morning in rural South Dakota. This, combined with the deployment of the National Guard and increased security at government buildings nationwide, has served to put the terrorists on the defensive in the face of a strong effort by President Von Reuental and several regional governors to suppress the group. As yet, the PMA's leadership, as well as those responsible for the Topeka attack, remain at large.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #124 on: February 27, 2015, 08:09:46 PM »

Federalist Party's future?

This is Federalist Party moments before the election was concluded:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies