What's the coldest weather you've walked a meaningful distance in?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:11:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's the coldest weather you've walked a meaningful distance in?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What's the coldest weather you've walked a meaningful distance in?  (Read 2108 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2015, 11:49:41 PM »

So I wanted to go to the store earlier. Instead of getting a ride, I figured it would be interesting to walk in the 14 degrees (with the "feels like" temperature being -8 degrees) weather. In about 5 minutes it felt like my ears were going to get frostbite, and after 10 minutes my legs were getting numb. I had to walk in a laundromat on the way there to "thaw out", then finally got to the store. I then called a friend for a ride home since there was no way in hell I was walking back. It was interesting, but...never again.

I bet BRTD has a good anecdote about this.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 11:54:34 PM »

Probably around -40 or so.

Good anecdote, eh not really. It's just really cold and uncomfortable. My most memorable extreme winter weather walk was in late 2010 when we got hit with a blizzard so bad my work actually shut down early and sent us home, but I ran into the issue of having no place to park. I ended up having to park on a ramp on the edge of downtown, but then ran into the issue of getting back to my apartment, since the buses were pulled for the first time in 19 years. So I ended up walking the over a mile distance in a blizzard so bad that visibility was less than a city block and with tons of snow flying in my face feeling kind of like sand due to the wind speeds. Temperature wise it wasn't anywhere near as extreme cold as like right now, but it was probably more uncomfortable. I remember getting home, taking a shower to warm up, and realizing that I almost lost feeling in my feet as I gradually gained that back.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 11:56:38 PM »

Like 60+ degrees Farenhaite. My country never gets particularly cold.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 12:03:06 AM »

Certainly not -40 like BRTD, but certainly at least 10-12 degrees in the wee morning hours as recently as  mid-December. Very likely low single digits for a football game when I was younger.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 12:03:46 AM »

Something like -15, -40 with wind chill.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 12:04:43 AM »

I lived off campus in 1977 and delivered newspapers in the adjacent neighborhood. The campus was about 40 miles south of Minneapolis, so the temperature chart gives you an idea of what I was walking through in January that year during the coldest part of the day.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 12:08:51 AM »

I was in DC on the day of Obama's inauguration. The metro was overrun by people, so my friend and I just walked from where we lived (the Georgetown neighborhood) to the national mall at something like six in the morning. It was in the single digits and it was horrible.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 12:12:07 AM »

Good anecdote, eh not really. It's just really cold and uncomfortable. My most memorable extreme winter weather walk was in late 2010 when we got hit with a blizzard so bad my work actually shut down early and sent us home, but I ran into the issue of having no place to park. I ended up having to park on a ramp on the edge of downtown, but then ran into the issue of getting back to my apartment, since the buses were pulled for the first time in 19 years. So I ended up walking the over a mile distance in a blizzard so bad that visibility was less than a city block and with tons of snow flying in my face feeling kind of like sand due to the wind speeds. Temperature wise it wasn't anywhere near as extreme cold as like right now, but it was probably more uncomfortable. I remember getting home, taking a shower to warm up, and realizing that I almost lost feeling in my feet as I gradually gained that back.

Is the -40 counting wind chill?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 12:15:23 AM »

Probably about -30°F...which you only do if you absolutely must and then you can't habe any skin exposed.  Plus layers.  Your legs and groin, arms, and neck will get numb and frostbitten without extra layers.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 12:17:23 AM »

Is the -40 counting wind chill?

Yeah, I've been in -40 pre-windchill temperatures before but definitely not walking a significant distance in them.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 12:22:59 AM »

-15, -66 wind chill in Waukegan, IL.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 12:27:40 AM »

Probably about -30°F...which you only do if you absolutely must and then you can't habe any skin exposed.  Plus layers.  Your legs and groin, arms, and neck will get numb and frostbitten without extra layers.

I'm sure you Minnesotans are prepared for all these eventualities...as for me, I don't even own a scarf or a hat. Tongue
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 12:45:53 AM »

Yes, but to be fair, man was never meant to live in Minnesota, and human settlement in that region is an affront to God.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 01:21:31 AM »

Going across campus to class when I was in college, 15 or so probably the coldest air temperature walking any real distance wind chill 0 or slightly below.  Probably about the same when I worked in lower Manhattan temperature wise, though with the winds in between some of the buildings probably felt a bit worse.

We have had some colder temperatures and wind chills, but I haven't really walked any real distances I cn remember during them.

It was brutal before just going back and forth to my cr in and out o the Laundromat, about 10 with wind chills about -10.  Can't imagine how horrific -40 feels
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 03:17:23 AM »

The coldest I remember was at some point in winter when I was ca. 18 years old.

A few highschool friends of mine and I made the "mistake" to go tobogganing up a mountain and drive down the 10 miles into the valley at 9pm or 9:30pm at night, after spending a few hours on top of the mountain in a restaurant to chat and drink a few shots (I do this about 10 times each winter, also just a few days ago).

So, when we went up the mountain at ca. 5pm, it had ca. -12°C (10°F) down in the valley and some -18°C (0°F) on top of the mountain. The sky was blue and without clouds.

When we bumped out of the mountain restaurant at ca. 9pm though, it had something like -25° (-13°F) or -30°C (-22°F) up there.

And then we had to start tobogganing down 10 miles on our sleds, with ca. 30-50km/h (20-30 mph), because the gondola down was of course already closed at that time !

Imagine the wind chill while driving in this friggin' cold ! Probably -40 or -50°C (-40°F or -58°F) or something.

Of course, we all had good winter clothing and everything, including scarves, but when we arrived down there we still had icicles hanging down from the scarves and borderline frostbites in our faces (that were only covered with the thin scarves), as well as on our hands and feet.

I still have the pictures of us with icicles on us somewhere on one of my portable harddisks ... Tongue

Never again in these kinds of temps !!!

retromike22
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 03:22:42 AM »

35 F degrees at the Grand Canyon last winter. Hey I'm from L.A., I'm not used to this type of weather! That 35 degrees was tough, so I can't even imagine what below freezing must feel like.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 03:31:50 AM »

Probably around 8C (46 F). I did touristy stuff in winter in Paris.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 07:31:16 AM »

-25 F
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 08:07:18 AM »

-30s maybe? At those temps, it doesn't matter if its Celsius or Fahrenheit. Not sure what you mean by meaningful distance though. One would be wise to avoid walking far in those temperatures. Of course, it's not bad if you dress well.

Biking in those temperatures is a lot better than walking, since you're warming your body up with vigorous exercise. I bike to work every day no matter the temperature, even if it's -30.  Snow is more of a barrier for me.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »

35 F degrees at the Grand Canyon last winter. Hey I'm from L.A., I'm not used to this type of weather! That 35 degrees was tough, so I can't even imagine what below freezing must feel like.

My lord--I wouldn't even put on a jacket in that kind of weather.

Anyway, depending on how you define "a meaningful distance" it may have been yesterday night at work, where the temperature was 5 degrees farenheit, and with a wind chill well below zero.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 10:04:49 AM »
« Edited: January 08, 2015, 10:06:33 AM by Lt. Governor Matt »

I believe it was 2006, and it was -43 F one late night in Vermont when my mom was driving us home, and going up the hill on our road, we hit ice/a massive pothole and began sliding backwards. We crashed into a snowbank, so me, my mom, and my brother who was like 5 at the time, had to walk to our nearest neighbor's house (about a half mile from where we were) to call my dad as there was no cell service in our area at the time. After this we invested in a vehicle with AWD. Tongue
retromike22
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 12:36:33 PM »

My lord--I wouldn't even put on a jacket in that kind of weather.

Anyway, depending on how you define "a meaningful distance" it may have been yesterday night at work, where the temperature was 5 degrees farenheit, and with a wind chill well below zero.

You're just acclimated to it. My house has lousy air conditioning, so I'm used to it being dry and hot. I even sleep better if it's warm than being cold.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 12:39:30 PM »

4 degrees at 6 AM, on my walk from my apartment to the college's library last year.

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 01:10:58 PM »

I jog 3 miles on a daily basis regardless of the weather. Last year, there were several days of windchills in the -30s. The first day I wore two pairs of sweatpants, two hoodies, gloves, boots to tuck my pants into, and a ski mask. I started sweating before the end of the first mile and was unbearably hot by the end. The second day, I wore just one hoodie, and replaced the pair of sweatpants "underneath" with pajama pants, and the ski mask with a hat. That was better.

The lowest temperature walking would've been one of those days, when I didn't have a parking permit to park at the school and so would walk the maybe kilometer and a half (bit more than a mile) to the police station, where I could park my car without a permit. It was interesting, since I would walk with others, and frequently people dressed more warmly than I, who were sometimes more athletic than I am, were still much more...responsive...to the cold.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 01:13:11 PM »

I've walked across town in single-digit weather, and from my house to the post office a little ways down the road at two or three below zero.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies