What's the coldest weather you've walked a meaningful distance in? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:34:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's the coldest weather you've walked a meaningful distance in? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the coldest weather you've walked a meaningful distance in?  (Read 2115 times)
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« on: January 08, 2015, 03:31:50 AM »

Probably around 8C (46 F). I did touristy stuff in winter in Paris.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 07:34:54 AM »

I feel like American weather is really extreme in general. I live in a "hot city", and yet I've never experienced anything like what some of the Texans and Californians were describing in the heat thread - and yet, particularly in Texas, there's snow in winter, which has never happened where I live.

It seems bizarre for the Northern hemisphere too - I remember reading somewhere that the Twin Cities were roughly on the same latitude as Venice. I've been to Venice in winter and it was hardly some Fargoesque hellscape. I have no idea why though.

checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 08:18:40 AM »

I feel like American weather is really extreme in general. I live in a "hot city", and yet I've never experienced anything like what some of the Texans and Californians were describing in the heat thread - and yet, particularly in Texas, there's snow in winter, which has never happened where I live.

It seems bizarre for the Northern hemisphere too - I remember reading somewhere that the Twin Cities were roughly on the same latitude as Venice. I've been to Venice in winter and it was hardly some Fargoesque hellscape. I have no idea why though.

The Twin Cities are also about the same latitude as Harbin China which is nicknamed the Ice City. Average Harbin lows in Jan are -24 C, which is colder than Mpls at -14 C. However Mpls has a colder record at -41 C vs -38 C in Harbin. Both have average Jul highs of about 28 C.

I wasn't aware that Harbin was on the same latitude as Minneapolis, but I should have remembered that Asian cities at similar latitudes to Europe tend to be far colder. I suppose Europe must be unusually warm - probably due to the fact that it's relatively costal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies