What's the coldest weather you've walked a meaningful distance in? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:30:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's the coldest weather you've walked a meaningful distance in? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the coldest weather you've walked a meaningful distance in?  (Read 2160 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: January 08, 2015, 12:15:23 AM »

Probably about -30°F...which you only do if you absolutely must and then you can't habe any skin exposed.  Plus layers.  Your legs and groin, arms, and neck will get numb and frostbitten without extra layers.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 11:24:29 PM »

I've experienced air temperatures somewhere around -50°F (-46°C).  But that was just to say I did it.  The official temp in town was -48°F but we had -52°F at our house.  I remember because it was the day one of my former cats was born in my bedroom closet... February 2nd, 1996.  RIP Grizzy Bear

He looked like this
(I miss the Nizzle fo shizzle.  We pretended he was African French Canadian to up the diversity cred of our household)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 03:07:39 PM »

The US has extreme weather because of

1) the mountains in the west prevent all but the strongest Pacific air masses from getting past the mountains.

2) the coldish water for the tropics south of North America casts a rain shadow across the SW US and NW Mexico.  This promotes higher pressure in the west which allows a more north-south and vice versa flow across the east...with the south being an extremely warm sea and the north being a part of the polar vortex.  This creates a hell of a clash seen nowhere else on earth.

3) the Great Lakes change everything.  In summer, convective storms avoid the cold, stable lakes like the plague.  You'll see storm complexes race west to east across the Dakotas and then move southeast around the lakes.  They also feed storms in winter, hence the legend of the "Witch of November"

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies