Magnolia Tree Polls - IDS Name change
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:53:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Magnolia Tree Polls - IDS Name change
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you support a change in the name of this region from the Imperial Dominion of the South to the Southeast?
Yes

No

Not a resident of the IDS

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Magnolia Tree Polls - IDS Name change  (Read 2440 times)
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2015, 11:55:21 PM »

Three whole days.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 12:06:12 AM »

Not a resident of the IDS but no, absolutely not. One of the worst ideas I have heard in a while (sorry Sad).
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 12:50:53 AM »

Yes, I've wanted a return to the gentile south for years.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 01:01:28 AM »

My sense of nostaglia for 2010 demands we keep IDS. Tongue
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 01:44:42 AM »

I'd personally suggest they change their name to something different instead Smiley
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 05:12:11 AM »

No way!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 07:16:22 AM »

Yes of course.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 09:57:55 AM »

I used to think so, but the current name has grown on me lately.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 11:26:11 AM »

Of course not. The IDS is struggling numbers-wise, and its unique traditions can be a big draw to new citizens.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »

Yes, the current name is ridiculously stupid.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 12:10:04 PM »

If someone can get those cretins to budge, I'd be very surprised.

Of course not. The IDS is struggling numbers-wise, and its unique traditions can be a big draw to new citizens.

As it's currently doing? Huh
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 12:20:48 PM »

I'd consider it. But we'd need to overhaul the Emperor name too if we do the name change of the region.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 12:39:05 PM »

I've got affection for regional cultures but I think the name "IDS" might, er, attract a certain kind of person and that certain kind of person only. Do we want to give the impression of a region run by Megadeth fans?
GAworth
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 12:45:09 PM »

No! Each region has it's quirky charm. Don't change it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »

Actually this got me thinking that a bit of nationalism might be what the region needs to get out of its current funk.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 05:13:00 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2015, 05:14:47 PM by Duke »

The south had traditions long before the Renaissance fairgoers took it over after I left for the senate. Bourbon Friday's, mint julep Wednesday's, the governors plantation. The region birthed the RPP from its womb and brought attention to regional issues. People act like it was in such bad shape before the kilt wearers took it over and named it after the Knights of the Roundtable, but it was already colorful.

And it's a poor argument to make that the name attracts people given the current state of affairs. It sounds like a perfect place if you're into slaying dragons. Not if you want to be in the south. If anything, the imperial dominion stripped the region of its heritage and made it a niche region for dungeons and dragons players.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 12:03:26 AM »

The south had traditions long before the Renaissance fairgoers took it over after I left for the senate. Bourbon Friday's, mint julep Wednesday's, the governors plantation. The region birthed the RPP from its womb and brought attention to regional issues. People act like it was in such bad shape before the kilt wearers took it over and named it after the Knights of the Roundtable, but it was already colorful.

And it's a poor argument to make that the name attracts people given the current state of affairs. It sounds like a perfect place if you're into slaying dragons. Not if you want to be in the south. If anything, the imperial dominion stripped the region of its heritage and made it a niche region for dungeons and dragons players.

I love sassy Duke!
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 12:06:05 AM »

Being a citizen of Atlasia at the time of all of this, I can attest to its absolute truth.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 02:32:39 AM »

Speaking in my authority as Northeastern Pope, the only names the Church will recognize for this region are the IDS and the Dirty South.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 02:48:21 AM »

The problem is that some people litterally are offended by Southern heritage. I have met both at school and work people who are litteraly ashamed of the real life region's cultural traditions and heritage. I also remember your loving of such being labeled as racist by the JCP at the time in both subtle and not so subtle ways. This is one change in the south that gets unnoticed, but I run into people all time who litterally cringe at their neighbors' with their trucks and their guns and their duck dynasty type lifestyles.

Either option has drawbacks. But on an internet site, an appeal to dragon slaying is probably less counterproductive then an appeal to cotton fields and plantations.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies