opinion of Orlando, FL
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:33:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  opinion of Orlando, FL
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Place

Horrible Place

Little of Both or Not Sure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: opinion of Orlando, FL  (Read 1594 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »

I saw the Book of Mormon last night and I thought it was funny how Price said the place he wanted to go to was Orlando. Ostensibly its a fun place - 70-80 degree temps the whole year and a lot of amusement/water parks. And its also home to BRTD's favorite congressman.

Nonetheless, I've always felt its a shady place, similar to Las Vegas. It seems whenever you hear in the news about someone masturbating in public or a serial killer/child molester at large, it seems to be in Orlando, or at least Florida (see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wugmipPvTFE). It seems the type of place where there are a lot of scary transient types. Like many resort areas you have to stay "on the reservation" because once you leave, all bets are off.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 04:56:50 PM »

HP....as is the rest of that sinkhole retirement home they call florida
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 07:33:30 PM »

I saw the Book of Mormon last night and I thought it was funny how Price said the place he wanted to go to was Orlando. Ostensibly its a fun place - 70-80 degree temps the whole year and a lot of amusement/water parks. And its also home to BRTD's favorite congressman.

Nonetheless, I've always felt its a shady place, similar to Las Vegas. It seems whenever you hear in the news about someone masturbating in public or a serial killer/child molester at large, it seems to be in Orlando, or at least Florida (see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wugmipPvTFE). It seems the type of place where there are a lot of scary transient types. Like many resort areas you have to stay "on the reservation" because once you leave, all bets are off.

Orlando doesn't have 70-80 degree temps year round. Being inland, it gets oppressively hot and humid (even for Florida) in the summer and it's not immune from cold snaps in the winter. It can occasionally drop below freezing and you have the occasional string of days in the 50s and 60s. Sorry, I'm a climate nerd! But yes, the climate is very agreeable if you have a preference for hot to warm weather.

I like the fact that Orange and Osceola counties are trending D, but that's mainly because the region is diversifying, and sadly that seems to have increased racial tensions (Trayvon Martin). Seems to be a divide between the white retirees and the black/hispanic transplants.

I've been to Orlando a few times and it's very Florida in the sense that it's just one big suburban footprint with no real sense of place, so I don't like that too much. And if you're going to live in FL, you should at least live close to the beach. I hate theme parks, but that's a neutral issue for me because if I lived there I just wouldn't go.

While Orlando has some good things going for it, (climate, D trend, entertainment options, proximity to the beach) I would still call it an HP mainly because it seems dull and soulless. I'd much rather live in Miami, the Keys, some little beach town or even Tallahassee.

BTW all of Florida is crazy but the Panhandle is the craziest. It's a weird mix of rednecks, beach bums and drunk college kids, which is a perfect recipe for insanity.

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 07:35:22 PM »

Horrible Place, but Grayson's good.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 08:20:10 PM »

The only places I've been to in Orlando (I'm not even sure if they're technically in Orlando) are Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando. Based on that, I have to vote Freedom Place. I can't possibly vote HP considering the fond memories I have from childhood in Disney World or later going with a group of friends after graduating high school to Universal Studios (greatly prefer Islands of Adventure!).

Outside of the theme parks, I'm sure its regular old Florida which is typically HP.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 08:29:36 PM »

Florida = HP
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 08:36:32 PM »

freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 08:57:18 PM »

I like the fact that Orange and Osceola counties are trending D, but that's mainly because the region is diversifying, and sadly that seems to have increased racial tensions (Trayvon Martin). Seems to be a divide between the white retirees and the black/hispanic transplants.

Actually, Orlando used to be a hyper-GOP stronghold back in the day and sent republicans to Tallahassee back when everyone else was a democrat. Even controlling for race/ethnicity, the whites there are more dem then they were in the 70s or 80s (Obama in 08 got 45% of the white vote in Orange County).
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 09:38:31 PM »

Fair warning, this is mostly an Individual Politics thread since it mostly is about posters individual feelings about the place, and the responses are primarily based on posters political sensibilities. I'll see how it plays out from here, but I may move it.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 10:07:21 PM »

Freedom Place overall, but Grayson is terrible.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 02:09:08 PM »

Horrible Place, but Grayson's good.

This. Florida = HP as stated before, but Alan Grayson is the only redeeming thing about it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 04:03:54 PM »

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 04:17:37 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2015, 08:48:15 PM by smilo »

HA, I went to see it the same night! The whole time I was caught up on why Kevin is obsessed with such a HP.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 07:05:51 PM »

I went to see the Book of Mormon on the 4th!

Obviously a freedom city.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 08:47:37 PM »

in the episode last Sunday of Family Guy where Brian turns stupid due to a tumor, one of the things he does with Peter is go to Orlando.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies