Boston selected as the 2024 U.S. Olympic Nominee.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:50:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Boston selected as the 2024 U.S. Olympic Nominee.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Boston selected as the 2024 U.S. Olympic Nominee.  (Read 2800 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 11:34:15 PM »

I personally would've went with SF, but Boston's cool too.

If Boston were to host the Olympics, financial issues would be a huge pain though. Ugh.

A big enough pain that Boston has withdrawn its bid.  The city was unwilling to be placed on the hook for potential cost overruns.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33682648

A Boston Olympics would have been neat, but for the sake of the city I'm glad sanity prevailed on this.

Can we hope the USOC gains some sanity and doesn't pick a replacement candidate?  Hosting the Olympics will be a foolish waste of money for any US city that gets stuck with it.  The only cities that could plausibly host it here don't need the Olympic imprimatur and at best they can hope to break even given all the bells and whistles the IOC insists upon.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2015, 01:14:40 AM »

I'll be surprised if LA isn't the replacement, considering they seem to have most of the necessary facilities and really want it (bids in 2012, 2016, and 2024).

Of course, this doesn't matter because Paris is going to sweep the competition.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 08:20:01 PM »

The IOC has proven leery in the past to centennial games, so I doubt Paris will get the nod. Hamburg seems likelier than Paris if Europe gets 2024. Strong support and a new Olympic city are both pluses for Hamburg.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 10:01:25 PM »

The IOC has proven leery in the past to centennial games, so I doubt Paris will get the nod. Hamburg seems likelier than Paris if Europe gets 2024. Strong support and a new Olympic city are both pluses for Hamburg.

Hamburg has a referendum, and Paris fits better with recent trend of alpha cities (Sydney, Beijing, London, Rio, Tokyo). Also, Paris fits the narrative of less ...extravagant over-the-top spending. (Not really, of course, but they already have a lot of preexisting venues.)

Centennials are a null point, considering that Athens 96 was the only one to bid, and it had nothing going for it other being a centennial.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies