Connecticut OKs civil unions for gay couples
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:21:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Connecticut OKs civil unions for gay couples
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Connecticut OKs civil unions for gay couples  (Read 4154 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 20, 2005, 10:37:11 PM »

MSNBC

HARTFORD, Conn. - Connecticut on Wednesday became the second state to offer civil unions to gay couples — and the first to do so without being forced by the courts.

About an hour after the state Senate sent her the legislation, Republican Gov. M. Jodi Rell signed into law a bill that will afford same-sex couples in Connecticut many of the rights and privileges of married couples.

“I have said all along that I believe in no discrimination of any kind and I think that this bill accomplishes that, while at the same time preserving the traditional language that a marriage is between a man and a woman,” Rell said.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 10:38:01 PM »

woohoo! and no one can whine about judicial activism!
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 10:39:19 PM »

Glad my state is too enlightened for this kind of crap.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 10:39:31 PM »

Nope; now we have legislative activism. Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 10:40:31 PM »

Nope; now we have legislative activism. Tongue

Damn them, legislating from the...errr....legislature!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 10:48:54 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2005, 11:22:53 PM by Frodo »

there is a lesson in this article on the legislature legalizing civil unions through the diligent lobbying of activists: 

if the proponents of those advocating legalized abortion, contraception, and gay marriage had followed the same path as those advocating legalized civil unions had done through the legislature (as opposed to taking the judicial short-cut), and worked to advance their cause state-by-state through press-the-flesh grassroots efforts, there wouldn't be this level of acrimony over such hot-button issues if citizens and legislators had had a say on it decades ago. it could have saved them a world of trouble down the road, as we have seen with the rise of the Religious Right.   

WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 11:04:10 PM »

there is a lesson in this article on the legislature legalizing civil unions through the diligent lobbying of activists: 

if the proponents of those legalizing abortion, contraception, and gay marriage had followed the same path as those advocating legalizing civil unions had done through the legislature (as opposed to taking the judicial short-cut), and worked to advance their cause state by state through press-the-flesh grassroots efforts, there wouldn't be this level of acrimony over such hot-button issues if citizens and legislators had had a say on it decades ago. it could have saved them a world of trouble down the road, as we have seen with the rise of the Religious Right.   

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Indeed.

Oh, and this was done at the state level, by the legislature, so I have no problems with it. Take notes, activists...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 11:11:58 PM »

I was going to make a legislative activism joke, but that accursed Gabu!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 12:49:13 AM »

MSNBC

HARTFORD, Conn. - Connecticut on Wednesday became the second state to offer civil unions to gay couples — and the first to do so without being forced by the courts.

About an hour after the state Senate sent her the legislation, Republican Gov. M. Jodi Rell signed into law a bill that will afford same-sex couples in Connecticut many of the rights and privileges of married couples.

“I have said all along that I believe in no discrimination of any kind and I think that this bill accomplishes that, while at the same time preserving the traditional language that a marriage is between a man and a woman,” Rell said.

I would prefer a public vote on the matter over the legislature making a decision on what is good for a state.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 12:51:51 AM »

I would prefer a public vote on the matter over the legislature making a decision on what is good for a state.

First you want it left up to the states, then when a state makes a decision you don't like, you want it done differently yet again. Tongue
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 12:53:49 AM »

First you want it left up to the states, then when a state makes a decision you don't like, you want it done differently yet again. Tongue

No, what I have always said is I would like it to be left up to the states in the form of a public vote. For Gay Marriage and abortion. I have always held that opinion.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 12:54:03 AM »

If both the Republican Party and Democratic Party in that state approved it, it'd likely pass a popular vote.  It's not like the gay lobby controls a lot of campaign contributions.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 12:55:45 AM »

If both the Republican Party and Democratic Party in that state approved it, it'd likely pass a popular vote.  It's not like the gay lobby controls a lot of campaign contributions.

Possibly so, but we don't really know for sure.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 12:56:04 AM »

No, what I have always said is I would like it to be left up to the states in the form of a public vote. For Gay Marriage and abortion. I have always held that opinion.

Well, OK.

A recent poll from the Associated Press found that 56% of Connecticut voters favor civil unions. I don't think that a vote would return much of a different result.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 01:00:51 AM »

How is equal protection crap?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2005, 01:02:23 AM »

Sexual lifestyles should not be "protected" by law in the same manner as race is.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2005, 01:05:35 AM »

Well, OK.

A recent poll from the Associated Press found that 56% of Connecticut voters favor civil unions. I don't think that a vote would return much of a different result.

Very true.  I think they would probably approve it 55-45%.

However, I also understand States' point and agree with him as to where approval should come from.  It's mainly a Southern thing.  Smiley

In most, if not all Southern states, something like this would require a Constitutional Amendment to the State Constitution to pass (as does almost everything).  And many, if not all Southern states, have similar rules to doing this sort of thing.

For example, in Texas, something like this would require a 2/3rds vote in support by both the House and the Senate.  It would then be placed on the next ballot and would be put to the voters for a vote.  If a majority approved it, it would become law.

Of course, because in most Southern states literally everything (and I mean everything) requires a Constitutional amendment, some of the State Constitutions which haven't been changed since Reconstruction have way too many amendments.

Texas has almost 3,000 Constitutional amendments that I know of.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2005, 01:12:44 AM »

Sexual lifestyles should not be "protected" by law in the same manner as race is.

Why not?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2005, 01:13:41 AM »

And it was signed into law by a Republican. It doesn't look like there's any chance of defeating her next year.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 07:08:19 AM »

Ok, no straight marriage then.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2005, 12:47:18 PM »

There may be a genetic basis for what you call "lifestyles" - it is quite possible that there is no choice involved. (Not being a scientific expert, I would not claim to know conclusively.)
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 01:06:40 PM »

Except that this law is unconsitutional: it discriminates against heterosexuals.

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2005, 01:19:06 PM »

Ok, no straight marriage then.

Oh, the government already discourages that, it is called the marriage penalty.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2005, 01:30:42 PM »

Except that this law is unconsitutional: it discriminates against heterosexuals.

No, they can enter a civil union with a person of the same sex if they wish, just as a gay person can enter a marriage with a person of the opposite sex. Wink
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2005, 03:29:13 PM »

7,500 gay couples thank you Connecticut
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies