WV-GOV: Manchin to decide by summer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:09:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-GOV: Manchin to decide by summer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WV-GOV: Manchin to decide by summer  (Read 3678 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 09, 2015, 09:29:03 AM »

Late spring, early summer. Says past 4 years have been most unproductive of his working life.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »

I wish he'd stay in the Senate.  We need people like him in Washington.

With the GOP now controlling the Senate, he may have a more sympathetic ear for coal interests.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 09:09:08 PM »

Now that the WV legislature is controlled by Republicans, what's the point?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 09:50:09 PM »

I wish he'd stay in the Senate.  We need people like him in Washington.

With the GOP now controlling the Senate, he may have a more sympathetic ear for coal interests.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 09:52:55 PM »

He could certainly slim down the chance of them taking the governorship, as I'd imagine he'd be more popular as a statewide official than a federal official. And don't you think WV Republicans are easier to comprise with than Washington Republicans?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 11:44:53 AM »

Morrissey considering.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 11:46:05 AM »

Either way he seems like he's out of the Senate, one way or another, by 2018.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 11:52:35 AM »

He could certainly slim down the chance of them taking the governorship, as I'd imagine he'd be more popular as a statewide official than a federal official. And don't you think WV Republicans are easier to comprise with than Washington Republicans?

The point is that he can't govern the way he wants in D.C. and going back to WV won't change anything because he will run into the Republican wall in the legislature.

I think he should pass up WV-Gov and cede it to the pubs, then run for reelection in 2018. He's doing great work in the senate.
Kraxner
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 12:16:37 PM »

The point is that he can't govern the way he wants in D.C. and going back to WV won't change anything because he will run into the Republican wall in the legislature.

Republican West Virginians and Democrat West Virginians are basically the same in all but name. West Virginia is very conservative, few democrats in west virginia are fit the standard costal liberal types. And the rise of republicans in the state legislatures is only because of a backlash against the National democrat party's Obama , taking actions that harm the economic wellbeing of the state. Otherwise Manchin could work very well with the republicans in his state.

Nichlemn

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 09:13:28 PM »

It's also not completely implausible that Manchin could lead the WV legislative Democrats back into majorities (though the House got pretty heavily Republican in 2014).
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 09:52:00 PM »

Yeah Democrats need every Senate seat we can get, Manchin is useless other than as a vote for Democratic control of the Senate so he better keep his ass seated in his Senate seat.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 12:02:37 AM »

It's also not completely implausible that Manchin could lead the WV legislative Democrats back into majorities (though the House got pretty heavily Republican in 2014).

The same way that Governor Steve Beshear took back the Kentucky Senate for Democrats?  Or how Gov. Jay Nixon took back the Missouri legislature? 

Face it, West Virginia is gone.  He may be able to hold back the tide a little by keeping the governor's mansion in Democratic hands, but after he leaves office, watch the WV GOP consolidate its gains at every level in the state. 
Nichlemn

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 01:14:42 PM »

The same way that Governor Steve Beshear took back the Kentucky Senate for Democrats?  Or how Gov. Jay Nixon took back the Missouri legislature? 

Face it, West Virginia is gone.  He may be able to hold back the tide a little by keeping the governor's mansion in Democratic hands, but after he leaves office, watch the WV GOP consolidate its gains at every level in the state. 

Democrats managed to regain the MS state senate in 2007 before losing it again (probably for good this time). I don't think it's implausible WV Dems could get one last hurrah before partisan gravity sinks them for good.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 05:29:36 PM »

Democrats managed to regain the MS state senate in 2007 before losing it again (probably for good this time). I don't think it's implausible WV Dems could get one last hurrah before partisan gravity sinks them for good.

but Haley Barbour was Governor. Generally, when one party leads, the other party gains, so I think West Virginia Democrat losses get worse if Joe Manchin is Governor.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 05:31:34 PM »

Should stay senator.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 10:40:50 PM »

I think there's a chance that Democrats could hold the Governor's mansion if Manchin doesn't run, but if he doesn't run for senate in 2018, that seat is 120% gone. So I'd obviously rather he stayed in the senate, even though he's far from my favorite senator.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 10:49:58 PM »

Democrats need every Senate seat we can get, even a horrible right-winger like Joe Manchin. Manchin's only use is as a vote for Dem control of the Senate.

He would be useless as governor. Who cares about who the governor of West Virginia is? It's an insignificant state and it clearly wants Republicans to hold any office that isn't held by Joe Manchin.
Kraxner
Rookie

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 11:47:14 PM »

Democrats need every Senate seat we can get, even a horrible right-winger like Joe Manchin. Manchin's only use is as a vote for Dem control of the Senate.

He would be useless as governor. Who cares about who the governor of West Virginia is? It's an insignificant state and it clearly wants Republicans to hold any office that isn't held by Joe Manchin.

I'm gotta make a bold prediction, he's gonna get Blanche Lincolned in 2018 if he tries to run for re-election in that senate seat.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 11:48:38 PM »

I'm gotta make a bold prediction, he's gonna get Blanche Lincolned in 2018 if he tries to run for re-election in that senate seat.

Considering the trend WV is going, it's not exactly that bold. In fact, it's more likely to happen than not in the off chance that he runs.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 11:55:40 PM »

Considering the trend WV is going, it's not exactly that bold. In fact, it's more likely to happen than not in the off chance that he runs.

He may very well lose, but I don't think he'll be Blanched. He seems to have a personal relationship with the state that Lincoln never seemed to have.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, 12:17:40 AM »

Manchin probably won't be Blanched. If he does lose, which is very possible, it won't be by a significant margin - I think it'll be closer to Mark Begich margins. Just as long as he doesn't run an idiot Mark Pryor campaign.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 12:23:36 AM »

Manchin probably won't be Blanched. If he does lose, which is very possible, it won't be by a significant margin - I think it'll be closer to Mark Begich margins. Just as long as he doesn't run an idiot Mark Pryor campaign.

This too.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 12:40:11 AM »

Well, somehow the Kentucky House of Representatives stayed Democrat.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 01:16:37 AM »

Nah I don't think Manchin would lose if he ran for reelection. Thing is he's not going to run, he clearly doesn't like the Senate. May as well hold onto the Governor's mansion for as long as we can.
Nichlemn

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 03:42:36 AM »

It's only two years since he won with over 60% of the vote, and Obama will be out of office then. I think he's the favourite, although he'll very likely to sweat a real race.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies