Rothenberg Initial 2016 Senate ratings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:44:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Rothenberg Initial 2016 Senate ratings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rothenberg Initial 2016 Senate ratings  (Read 6357 times)
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2015, 03:32:20 PM »

NH is gonna be the tipping pt state along with CO,NV and PA.   AK, NC, FL or OH is the 5th seat that we can use to get the Dems to 51.  But, FL is the easiest to get there.
I would say that NC is more competitive than FL. The FL Dems always look good, but end up losing when it comes to election day. Barring a Murphy or Graham run, I just don't see Rubio (or any other establishment republican) losing - Sink, Crist, and DWS would likely need a 2006/2008-style wave.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2015, 08:28:09 PM »

Much better than Cook's map, LOL. I might say that NH should only be tilt R, though, and if Iowa and Georgia are Likely R, I'd put Kentucky there as well, since there's a chance that Paul won't (be able to) run for re-election.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2015, 09:57:35 PM »

Much better than Cook's map, LOL. I might say that NH should only be tilt R, though, and if Iowa and Georgia are Likely R, I'd put Kentucky there as well, since there's a chance that Paul won't (be able to) run for re-election.

Does that really change anything? Democrats haven't won a Senate race in Kentucky since 1992, and supposedly Beshear isn't running.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 03:07:25 PM »

Pennsylvania tilting R in a presidential year with generic R Toomey? Right.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 10:30:23 PM »

Does that really change anything? Democrats haven't won a Senate race in Kentucky since 1992, and supposedly Beshear isn't running.

Edelen could still run, and while Democrats haven't actually won recently, they've come close. The right Democrat can win a statewide race in Kentucky, even if it's unlikely (thus why I suggested a rating of Likely Republican)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 10:59:31 PM »

Santorum (R): wins by only two points in massive GOP wave. Up for re-election in a Presidential. Won the state by more than Gore (D) did at the same time. And no, the Dem wasn't some horribly weak candidate. This has been disproven enough times.

Oh and Santorum was more polarizing/less respected among Dems than Toomey. So yes, it's possible to be tilt R.

Please stop making me do this.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 03:19:19 AM »

Sabato Crysytal Ball does have it tilting tossup and Toomey won  by only 4 pts.

Toomey didn't have a divisive primary and Sestak has no primary this time. It depends on how our House races goes in the state and how much resources the GOP put into winning PA this time. If Romney deserts it again, we have a chance.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 05:59:44 AM »

Santorum (R): wins by only two points in massive GOP wave. Up for re-election in a Presidential. Won the state by more than Gore (D) did at the same time. And no, the Dem wasn't some horribly weak candidate. This has been disproven enough times.

He actually was though. He was a terrible fundraiser and got vastly outspent. He performed absolutely terribly in Eastern PA (he even lost Delco for god's sake!) and didn't exactly have an impressing showing in his home turf of Western PA either. I mean, good lord, the guy didn't run a single television ad in the Philadelphia media market! That's something you expect from a some dude perennial candidate, not a member of the House that was supposed to be in a competitive race. Klink was absolutely awful.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 09:09:36 AM »

Blunt, Coats, and Paul are safer than McCain?

No.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 09:18:36 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2015, 09:20:12 AM by OC »

No.

I pushed hide safe races and it gave me CO, NV, OH, IA, IL, WI, PA, NH, FL, GA, AZ, and FL as competetive. So AZ is in that competetive race.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »

Ron Klink had a late primary and was broke. As a congressman, he was better than "some dude," but many Pennsylvania voters were barely aware that there was a race until the final weeks.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 01:42:12 PM »

No.

Have you seen McCain's approval rating? And this time it'll be in a Presidential year.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2015, 08:24:53 AM »

He actually was though. He was a terrible fundraiser and got vastly outspent. He performed absolutely terribly in Eastern PA (he even lost Delco for god's sake!) and didn't exactly have an impressing showing in his home turf of Western PA either. I mean, good lord, the guy didn't run a single television ad in the Philadelphia media market! That's something you expect from a some dude perennial candidate, not a member of the House that was supposed to be in a competitive race. Klink was absolutely awful.

He didn't perform terribly in the east and a Dem losing Delco in those days wasn't uncommon. Remember how different the SE counties were back then. Many moderate and liberal Republicans still generally stuck with the GOP (yes, even for Santorum). 

He had a very good performance out west especially when you consider the incumbent Senator was from out there as well. Klink won most of the counties around Pittsburgh.

And I never, ever heard that Klink didn't run a single ad in the Philly market. I'm genuinely intrigued by that statement. I only vaguely remember the other/non-Presidential ads from that you. I distinctly recall a particular Santorum ad. But I find it hard to believe that Klink didn't run anything down here.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2015, 12:05:26 PM »

He didn't perform terribly in the east and a Dem losing Delco in those days wasn't uncommon. Remember how different the SE counties were back then. Many moderate and liberal Republicans still generally stuck with the GOP (yes, even for Santorum). 

He had a very good performance out west especially when you consider the incumbent Senator was from out there as well. Klink won most of the counties around Pittsburgh.

And I never, ever heard that Klink didn't run a single ad in the Philly market. I'm genuinely intrigued by that statement. I only vaguely remember the other/non-Presidential ads from that you. I distinctly recall a particular Santorum ad. But I find it hard to believe that Klink didn't run anything down here.

Yes, it was definitely different back in 2000, but it was in the process of changing. Gore carried Delco and Montco by double digits. Klink underperformed so badly because of two reasons: one, the aforementioned lack of advertising in the Philadelphia media market. Many people from the SE probably had no idea who he was. He had absolutely no presence in the region, since he won the primary against Schwartz/Foley by dominating in Western PA. Secondly, because he gave the quintessential "socially liberal/fiscally conservative moderate" in the suburbs no reason to vote for him, since he was a SoCon. Dems were too busy trying to lock down Western PA, to their detriment. And remember that this was before Santorum was known as being a bomb thrower. Everyone always knew he was very conservative, but it wasn't until the "man on dog" interview in 2003 that he became known as "that guy obsessed with gay people". So in a race between two SoCons, of course the socially liberal/fiscally conservative people were going to stick with Santorum.

Here's my source:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And regardless, whatever one thinks of Klink, it can't be denied Sestak is a much stronger candidate.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2015, 12:11:55 PM »

And remember that this was before Santorum was known as being a bomb thrower. Everyone always knew he was very conservative, but it wasn't until the "man on dog" interview in 2003 that he became known as "that guy obsessed with gay people".

Does this not demonstrate Phil's point that Toomey has a better chance at reelection than he is given credit for?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2015, 12:33:36 PM »

And remember that this was before Santorum was known as being a bomb thrower. Everyone always knew he was very conservative, but it wasn't until the "man on dog" interview in 2003 that he became known as "that guy obsessed with gay people".

Does this not demonstrate Phil's point that Toomey has a better chance at reelection than he is given credit for?

Given credit for by who? Nobody is saying that Toomey is doomed or is even an underdog. People calling the race "lean R" like Charlie Cook are most certainly overrating him though (I could understand "tilt R" at this early stage, however).

And you can't just quote one part of my post and ignore the rest. Yes, that fact contributes to why Toomey is a better candidate than Santorum. I never denied this. But the main topic over the past few posts has been about how the Democrats will also have a much stronger candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2015, 05:38:04 PM »

Given credit for by who? Nobody is saying that Toomey is doomed or is even an underdog. People calling the race "lean R" like Charlie Cook are most certainly overrating him though (I could understand "tilt R" at this early stage, however).

And you can't just quote one part of my post and ignore the rest. Yes, that fact contributes to why Toomey is a better candidate than Santorum. I never denied this. But the main topic over the past few posts has been about how the Democrats will also have a much stronger candidate.

Right, I've never argued that Sestak would be anywhere near Klink territory. But my point is that Toomey is no Santorum who, while not making infamous comments in 2000, was still targeted by Dems and polarizing.

And don't be foolish, my friend: plenty of people say the Dem/Sestak will be favored because "Toomey only won by two in a GOP wave midterm." I'm demonstrating why it's still possible for him to win by a reasonably comfortable margin. Sure, his opponent won't be Klink-esque but he's personally better positioned than even pre-super controversial Santorum.

And your point about Klink not running a single ad here might not be totally accurate since it mentions he wasn't on air three weeks out, not that he never went on at all. Don't get me wrong, that's still horrible but it isn't exactly what you presented.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 06:14:44 PM »

Right, I've never argued that Sestak would be anywhere near Klink territory. But my point is that Toomey is no Santorum who, while not making infamous comments in 2000, was still targeted by Dems and polarizing.

And don't be foolish, my friend: plenty of people say the Dem/Sestak will be favored because "Toomey only won by two in a GOP wave midterm." I'm demonstrating why it's still possible for him to win by a reasonably comfortable margin. Sure, his opponent won't be Klink-esque but he's personally better positioned than even pre-super controversial Santorum.

And your point about Klink not running a single ad here might not be totally accurate since it mentions he wasn't on air three weeks out, not that he never went on at all. Don't get me wrong, that's still horrible but it isn't exactly what you presented.

Well then we both agree on that point.

I'm sure some people say Sestak will win easily for that overly simplistic reason, but some people say anything. The initial poster that sparked this debate expressed skepticism of the tilt R rating, which is fair, since the race could certainly be considered a toss up too. At least on the forum, I don't ever recall anyone rating the race as "lean D/likely D" or whatever. Although it wouldn't particularly surprise me if a certain android did.

Here's confirmation he never ran a single ad there.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 07:21:29 PM »

Interesting fact about Klink's lack of ads in the SE. I'll take your word for it since I won't be scanning the entire "Pennsylvania Elections" book. Wink

You sure the DSCC didn't invest anything at all? Wink (They'd be very foolish to have within the final weeks but nothing at all earlier that Fall would be shocking. I don't think they conceded the race that early.)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 08:30:10 PM »

Interesting fact about Klink's lack of ads in the SE. I'll take your word for it since I won't be scanning the entire "Pennsylvania Elections" book. Wink

You sure the DSCC didn't invest anything at all? Wink (They'd be very foolish to have within the final weeks but nothing at all earlier that Fall would be shocking. I don't think they conceded the race that early.)

According to this the DSCC aired ads there but pulled out towards the end. Most polls actually showed Santorum ahead by double digits, so the fact that it ended up relatively "close" was probably a surprise to many people.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies