What will happen after the copyright of Mein Kampf expires?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:12:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What will happen after the copyright of Mein Kampf expires?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What will happen after the copyright of Mein Kampf expires?  (Read 3812 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 11:12:28 AM »
« edited: January 17, 2015, 11:18:11 AM by Charlotte Hebdo »

I am a bit surprised by this coyright business. There is a Danish version from 1999 on sale (laws against political propaganda - even Nazi - would be unthinkable in Denmark). So how did the publisher get permission to publish it if what BRTD says is true? Isn't it just the German version that is banned from publishing in the EU?

According to Wiki it is widely available:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mein_Kampf#Current_availability

About Poland:

"In Poland, it was published in 1992 and reprinted in 1998. The Government of Bavaria halted its publication in 2005, stating that the book is protected by copyright. Possession is legal. Trading is legal, but may be considered illegal in case when "intent is to promote NS ideology". It is widely available in larger libraries for research purposes."
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 11:17:36 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2015, 11:20:34 AM by incredibly specific types of post-punk music »

What's the copyright status in Denmark? I know in the US the copyright was seized by the federal government along with all German copyrights during the war and eventually sold it to a private entity.

Article doesn't mention Denmark but it does mention a lawsuit from Bavaria to halt production in Sweden was rejected so the status may not apply to everywhere.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 11:21:36 AM »
« Edited: January 18, 2015, 06:42:33 AM by Charlotte Hebdo »

What's the copyright status in Denmark? I know in the US the copyright was seized by the federal government along with all German copyrights during the war and eventually sold it to a private entity.

Not sure, but under Sweden they write:

"It has been reprinted several times since 1945; in 1970, 1992, 2002 and 2010. In 1992 the Government of Bavaria tried to stop the publication of the book, and the case went to the Supreme Court of Sweden which ruled in favour of the publisher, stating that the book is protected by copyright, but that the copyright holder is unidentified (and not the State of Bavaria) and that the original Swedish publisher from 1934 had gone out of business. It therefore refused the Government of Bavaria's claim."

Swedish and Danish law are virtually identical on this matter and the original Danish edition was also published by a long gone Nazi publisher, so the situation is identical.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 11:43:48 AM »

About Poland:

"In Poland, it was published in 1992 and reprinted in 1998. The Government of Bavaria halted its publication in 2005, stating that the book is protected by copyright. Possession is legal. Trading is legal, but may be considered illegal in case when "intent is to promote NS ideology". It is widely available in larger libraries for research purposes."

Thanks for claryfing.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 09:20:38 PM »

Interestingly enough, Mein Kampf was involved in a 1939 U.S. court case, Houghton Mifflin v. Stackpole, that established that stateless persons can hold and transfer copyrights under U.S. law. (Hitler was a stateless person when it was published in 1925 and Stackpole was trying to publish an unauthorized translation under the theory that as a stateless person, Hitler had no copyright under then current U.S. law.)
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 06:31:48 AM »

It's not mentioned in the wikipedia article, but I've seen it for sale here in Australia (or at least in my state). I don't think it's made any difference to the presence of neo-Nazis here - if it was banned, they'd easily track it down some other way and I assume most people who buy it in a bookstore are just doing it out of historical interest. I imagine republication would probably have more impact in Europe, for a variety of reasons.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2015, 01:37:12 PM »

I bet it sells well in the Islamic world.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »

I bet it sells well in the Islamic world.

It does, it also sell well in India (through in that case it have nothing to do with anti-Semitism).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies