Do you prefer the lyrical style of classic hymns or Christian hardcore?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:22:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Do you prefer the lyrical style of classic hymns or Christian hardcore?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you prefer the lyrical style of classic hymns or Christian hardcore?
classic hymns

Christian hardcore

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Do you prefer the lyrical style of classic hymns or Christian hardcore?  (Read 6929 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2015, 02:01:19 PM »

I won't even include Christian contemporary music, because no one here would vote for that crap.

But while some hymns are good, Christian hardcore wins. Like this:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I mean sure you can't understand them in the actual song, but that's not the point.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 02:10:29 PM »

Classic hymns>>Christian hardcore>Hymns from the sixties and seventies>>>>>>>CCM.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 03:30:47 PM »

Classic hymns/IHOP,Jesus Culture Bethel, Elevation Church>>Christian hardcore>Hymns from the sixties and seventies>>>>>>>CCM.

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 04:50:44 PM »

Starts off good, but then devolves into the "I'm leaving Christianity for Jesus!!!" silliness. The end is nice too though.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 06:55:21 PM »

most of the Christian hardcore I've tried to listen to hasn't struck me as very good.  though there was one cool t-shirt, with a pic of the cross, and "die to your ways"... printed 4 or 5 times.

there is much modern, Christian-inspired art that I hold dear to me: David Bazan, mewithoutYou, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy..
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 08:50:59 PM »

Classic hymns are the best kind of music.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 12:07:49 AM »

I forgot to include Sufjan Stevens in my ranking. He's below classic hymns but above Christian hardcore.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 12:17:06 AM »

I don’t really see how those lyrics deviate from the typical style and tone of traditional hymns.  Same melodramatic approach; same overreliance on stale metaphors and imagery (“you are my rock”, etc)  I don’t see a major distinction apart from agenda perhaps.  Both styles are uninteresting. 

The difference is, this is what the second song's band sounds like (different song because that one isn't on YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt4Z-3rwgQ0

It's funny, when I was younger I would sometimes not find out bands were Christian until weeks after hearing them and sometimes not until after buying their records because I could never understand their lyrics anyway. Sometimes even after seeing them. Reminds me of a guy who said that he claimed his band was Christian so they could get booked at a church venue, and then played all their songs completely unedited. They got asked to come back again, despite the many f bombs that appear in their lyrics. Didn't get asked a second time and he said one of his band mates pointed out that someone who bought one of their records could read their lyrics sheet so it was probably known, but kind of funny.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 12:23:31 AM »

The difference is, this is what the second song's band sounds like (different song because that one isn't on YouTube): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt4Z-3rwgQ0

...yes...but...you made this thread about the lyrics.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 12:29:18 AM »

...yes...but...you made this thread about the lyrics.

True but the complete inability to understand them kind of adds an interesting angle I think. Especially if they're quite similar to hymns as noted. Which is kind of funny because of how many dumbs think it's impossible for any music with a similar lyrical style to hymns to SOUND like that and assume no type of that type of music is Christian, which has never made any sense to me. There is nothing inherently religious about any type of sound.

Also TJ: I don't think I'm incorrect when I say that there is literally (yes, I'm using that word exactly as I think it should be used) no group of people more likely to say things like "reject religion for Jesus" than Christian hardcore kids.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 09:28:50 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2015, 09:32:05 AM by Crazy Ernie's Amazing Emporium of Total Bargain Madness »

I won't even include Christian contemporary music, because no one here would vote for that crap.
I sure wouldn't.

Write-in:  Christian pop/contemporary like Francesca Battistelli
"I don't need my name in lights/I'm famous in my Father's eyes."  Ugh.  I can't stand that song, because people can be famous for bad things (like Hitler).  I would prefer something more specific that expresses God's love, like "I'm precious in my Father's eyes," or "I'm cherished in my Father's eyes."  Something that expresses that fame and fortune don't matter to you because you know how much God loves you.

I also hate the line "And You're free to be You."  God doesn't need his creation telling him he's "free" to be Himself; He is who He is.  (Although that song is generally good otherwise.)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 09:48:11 AM »

#TypicalBRTDPoll Roll Eyes
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 08:17:47 PM »

Nowadays I mostly prefer to listen to music that doesn't have English language lyrics because I've begun to find that knowing what the words are distracts me from the music itself (a sharp break from the pun-loving Gilbert and Sullivan lover I was six years ago) and as such I've begun to love Catholic Latin hymns.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 10:04:07 AM »

I generally prefer the classic christian hymns overall. Even though I have nothing against christian hardcore music, I was never able to get into it that much.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »

That poll where literally every voter disagrees with BRTD. Cheesy
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 08:42:55 AM »

I generally prefer the classic christian hymns overall. Even though I have nothing against christian hardcore music, I was never able to get into it that much.
This.  I'm generally not a fan of contemporary Christian music in any form except praise hymns, although unlike most in my local church, I do not believe it is inherently bad or wrong.  It's just poorly written and performed, for the most part.

Although I recently heard this on the radio and actually loved it, maybe because it reminds me a lot of the traditional hymns (both lyrics and music.)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 10:11:25 AM »

I don't care at all for praise hymns. Those who write, sing, or listen to them are often in much need of recalling Matthew 7:21 and similar verses.  My own favorite current CCM hymn is Do Something.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 12:48:57 PM »

There's plenty of good CCM music, though there's far more bad CCM music as with anything, a la Sturgeon's Law. I can't stand insipid worship music in the vein of Chris Tomlin or any of those songs all about telling Jesus who He is, but there's some good stuff underneath. I'm a fan of bands/artists like Gungor, Rend Collective, Needtobreathe, David Crowder. Hillsong actually has some surprisingly deep lyrics at times (and some really bad lyrics, too).

As for the question, there's simply no contest here.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 03:16:24 PM »

Overall the biggest shortcoming of CCM is the abundance of the words "I", " me", and "my". You rarely find those words in older classical hymns and that disparity ought to tell us something.

I do listen to CCM occasionally and try to ignore the handful of heretical lines. Most of the songs that get played are decent and some are good.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 04:54:46 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2015, 11:01:40 PM by True Federalist »

Overall the biggest shortcoming of CCM is the abundance of the words "I", " me", and "my". You rarely find those words in older classical hymns and that disparity ought to tell us something.

I do listen to CCM occasionally and try to ignore the handful of heretical lines. Most of the songs that get played are decent and some are good.
Heretical? I may disagree with the failure of much CCM to touch upon the transformative effect God should have upon us when we are in relationship with Him, but I can't think of anything I'd call heretical in what I've listened to. Granted, the station I listen to it on is not one that flacks the Prosperity Gospel. So what specifically were you referring to?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 06:22:17 PM »

I'm surprised by the sheer dislike of CCM.  I happen to like Hillsong a lot, just for the uplifting beats and general positivity from them.  I can't stand Christian hardcore though.....
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 07:02:06 PM »

As far as relatively contemporary music with an openly Christian message, I prefer the simplicity, self-reflection, and honesty of a Chris Bell.  No agenda, no pretensions, just the sound of a lonely man struggling with his homosexuality and faith.  Better Save Yourself is a good example of what Christian rock should sound like; dark, dirgey, depressing, and lots of organ.

Of course nobody would ever refer to "Neon Bible" as Christian music, but it is very obviously inspired by religion in general and Christianity in particular, and it is my favorite Arcade Fire album.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 10:42:34 PM »

Heretical? I may disagree with the failure of much CCM to touch upon the transformative effect God should have upon us when we are in relationship with Him, but I can't think of anything I'd call heretical in what I've listened to. Granted, the station I listen to it on is not that flacks the Prosperity Gospel. So what specifically were you referring to?

I meant the standard theological disputes generally: sola scriptura, salvation by faith alone, predestination, etc. Every once in a while a line will come that has heavy undertones for one of the above, or a similarly common one, and I'll try to just ignore that line and continue listening to the rest of the song. I honestly did mean this as a minor drawback; the major problem being the excessive usage of "I", "me", and "my" that render most CCM as less-than-suitable for much beyond listening to it in the car.

Also the poppy slowbeats are irksome; I prefer some of the stuff BRTD would like better for that reason.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 08:00:45 PM »

I'm surprised by the sheer dislike of CCM.  I happen to like Hillsong a lot, just for the uplifting beats and general positivity from them.

Most CCM is inappropriate for a worship service IMO, and its rapid replacement of the old hymns is bound to garner resentment.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »

Wow do I relate to this now:

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies