Newfoundland election, Nov 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:09:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Newfoundland election, Nov 2015
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: Newfoundland election, Nov 2015  (Read 23951 times)
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2015, 09:24:21 PM »

Astonishing results in Burgeo - La Poile

Liberal 3998 votes
PC 93 votes
NDP 53 votes

in %, Lib 97%, PC 2%, NDP 1%

North Korea!!

Apt given the history of the Newfie Liberals...

Do the NL Liberals historically have some sort of infatuation with communists? I think someone else here said the first Premier admired the Soviet Union. What's the deal with that?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2015, 06:52:41 AM »

Astonishing results in Burgeo - La Poile

Liberal 3998 votes
PC 93 votes
NDP 53 votes

in %, Lib 97%, PC 2%, NDP 1%

North Korea!!

Apt given the history of the Newfie Liberals...

Do the NL Liberals historically have some sort of infatuation with communists? I think someone else here said the first Premier admired the Soviet Union. What's the deal with that?

Joey Smallwood edited a pro-Bolshevik newspaper in New York in the 1920's, and the vote to join Canada was ever so slightly rigged. Tongue
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2015, 09:30:18 AM »

Surprising considering the $$$ was against confederation.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2015, 12:05:23 PM »

Higher than D'Arcy-McGee. Wow.  I suppose both the NDP and PC candidates there were paper candidates from away?

The NDP had three paper candidates in this election, but the one in that riding was not one of them.  While the former Mayor of Wabush, Ron Barron, had the 3rd highest share of the vote for the NDP in his more urban Labrador riding, two of their three paper candidates ran in rural Labrador.

I was somewhat incorrect. Up to nine NDP candidates were parachute/paper candidates (all in the rural parts of the Province), and that includes Burgeo-La Poile NDP candidate Kelly McKeown who lives in Conception Bay.  However it seems that she moved there to attend Memorial University as an adult nursing student and that she lived in Burgo-La Poile not long ago.  So, she can be considered as both a local candidate and as a parachute candidate.

Is it a particle or is it a wave?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2015, 12:32:28 PM »

Joey Smallwood edited a pro-Bolshevik newspaper in New York in the 1920's, and the vote to join Canada was ever so slightly rigged. Tongue

And continued to admire the Soviet system throughout his life and as Premier ran Newfies accordingly. One of the weirder episodes in Canadian history.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2015, 04:20:25 PM »

Given that we are discussing the 1949 referendum I will have a few questions:

1) Is there any sympathy towards independence in Newfoundland today?
2) Why were the wealthy and Catholics so opposed to confederation? Given how pre-1949 Newfoundland was like, why was the referendum so close?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2015, 06:06:01 PM »

Given that we are discussing the 1949 referendum I will have a few questions:

1) Is there any sympathy towards independence in Newfoundland today?
2) Why were the wealthy and Catholics so opposed to confederation? Given how pre-1949 Newfoundland was like, why was the referendum so close?

1) No. Newfoundland independence was always a non-starter, even in the 1940's. Anti-Confederation Newfies were split between continuing as a British dependency similar to the Cayman Islands, or trying to join up with the United States. (e.g. Former Tory leadership contender John Crosbie's father was leader of the Party for Economic Union with the United States)

2) Newfoundland's main industry was exporting cod to the United States. Canada/America at the time maintained extremely high tariffs against each other, which hurt the cod industry when Newfoundland joined. Also, the main pro-confederation leaders were Orangemen, which as all Irish people know, is exactly what Catholics like in a leader Tongue

Actually, the referendum wasn't just super close. The anti-confederates probably should have won. While the vote wasn't exactly fixed, the election wouldn't be considered "free and fair" by today's standards.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »

Cabinet Prediction
1.Premier/Intergovernmental Affairs, Dwight Ball (Rural), MHA
2.Finance, Siobhan Coady, (St. John's), M.P 2008-2011
3.Economic Development and Trade/Tourism, Small Business and Culture, Carol Anne Haley, (Rural), M.P Judy Foote Assistant
4.Agriculture and Rural Affairs/Natural Resources, Gerry Byrne (Rural), M.P 1996-2015
5.Fisheries and Aquaculture, Derrick Bragg, (Rural), Town Fire Chief
6.Energy, Mines and Petroleum Resources/Environment, Tom Osborne (St. John's) MHA and former P.C Cabinet Minister
7.Transportation and Infrastructure/Government Services and Public Works, Cathy Bennett (St John's), MHA
8.Children and Family Development/Human Resources and Housing, Status of Women, Sherry Gamblin-Walsh (Avalon Peninsula)
9.Education/Advanced Education, Training and Technology, Al Hawkins  (Rural), Grand Falls-Windsor Mayor, former Education Superintendent Official and Former Software Development Company Executive Director
10.Health/Government House Leader, Steve Crocker (Avalon Peninsula), MHA
11.Municipal Affairs/Aboriginal and Labrador Affairs, Randy Edmunds (Labrador), MHA
12.Attorney General/Solicitor General/Labour, Immigration and Citizenship, Andrew Parsons (Rural), MHA (only lawyer in Liberal caucus)

Chief Government Whip, Scott Reid
Speaker, Dale Kirby

Actual cabinet
1.Premier/Labrador and Aboriginal Affairs/Intergovernmental Affairs, Dwight Ball

2.Finance and Treasury Board/Status of Women, Cathy Bennett

3.Business, Tourism, Culture and Rural Development, Research and Development Agency/Forestry and Agrifood Agency, Christopher Mitchelmore

4.Natural Resources/Office of Public Engagement/Deputy Government House Leader, Siobhan Coady

5.Fisheries and Aquaculture, Steve Crocker

6.Environment and Conservation andClimate Change and Energy Efficiency/ Labour Relations Agency/Francophone Affairs, Perry Trimper

7.Transportation and (Public) Works, Al Hawkins

8.Municipal Affairs/(Government Services)- Service NL, Fire and Emergency Services, Government Purchasing Agency, Workplace NL, Registrar General, Eddie Joyce

9.Children, Youth and Family Services/Seniors, Wellness and Social Development, NL Housing Corporation, Status of Persons with Disabilities, Sherry Gamblin-Walsh

10.Health and Community Services, John Haggie

11.Education and Early Childhood Development, Dale Kirby

12.Advanced Education and Skills, Gerry Byrne

13.Justice and Public Safety and Attorney General/Government House Leader, Andrew Parsons
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2015, 02:06:33 PM »

As usual, I got many of the names right, but the positions wrong.  The only two Liberal MHAs I correctly predicted the cabinet positions of where Sherry Gamblin-Walsh and Andrew Parsons (and, as I said Parsons is the only lawyer in the Liberal caucus.)

I correctly predicted Siobhan Coady, Gerry Byrne, Cathy Bennett, Al Hawkins and Steve Crocker would make the cut but did not get their portfolios right. 

The ones who got in the cabinet I did not predict were John Haggie, Eddie Joyce, Perry Trimper, Dale Kirby and Christopher Mitchelmore.

While both of the former New Democrats in the Liberal caucus got in the cabinet, I don't believe any former Progressive Conservatives made the grade.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies