Egypt Joke Election, 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:09:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Egypt Joke Election, 2015
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Egypt Joke Election, 2015  (Read 2316 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2015, 01:38:45 AM »
« edited: December 07, 2015, 01:41:47 AM by CrabCake the Liberal Magician »

Is occurring this month. I expect you'll be bowled over to find out that Sisi loyalists have swept. I congratulate the successful president on his inspiring platform: don't stand against us, or we'll arrest you and sentence you to death. Truly caught the attention of Egyptians with an impressive 28% turnout. Anyway, the Sisi party is expected to agree with the president's desire to weaken whatever autonomy granted to the legislative branch and vest it all in the President's hands. That will of course end well.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 01:49:18 AM »

Oh how's this for a fantastic system: the pro-Sisi coalition has won every single list seat. Winner takes all bloc elections are literal insanity.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 02:04:29 AM »

Well, I guess Mursi's election proved that democracy isn't necessarily valuable in and of itself in all countries. It is rather a means to an end: more freedom. I still think Sisi, with all his flaws, is a better president than Mursi.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 02:15:11 AM »

I disagree. Morsi basically (as well as being a deeply unpleasant figure from an authoritarian and suspicious organisation) was really, really incompetent (like, Tony Abbott/Flanby levels of competence). At the end of the day, he promised a lot and didn't really deliver, and alienated every faction in the process. It would have ended like Tunisia - the Islamists swept aside as their mystique faded amongst a pile of broken promises. Like Tunisia, there would have probably been some ex-regime tools reentering, but their ambitions would have been checked. Now the military has shown up the secular "opposition" to be cowards with little regard for the ideals they preach (as well as the western powers in the region) and the MB can build up their huge local base again. I don't see any good scenario, unless I had BAE stocks.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 05:49:57 AM »

I heard that there were quotas for women and Copts, I wonder how it will finally looks like?
And at least salafists from al-Nour party performed poorly, I can't find second phase results anywhere but I hope that overall they had also in second phase even less votes.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 09:57:19 AM »

I firmly believe that, people who say that others are not ready for democracy should be permanently deported to those countries that do not have democracy. Al Sisi's Egypt would be the perfect place for certain posters here.

"More freedom", my ass.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 01:12:07 PM »

I don't see any good scenario, unless I had BAE stocks.

But dear CrabCake dont you understand that what is good for BAE is good for all of Britain? The armaments industry is one of our leading export trades - as well as a major domestic employer - and Egypt is historically one of our best customers. This is therefore an excellent scenario.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 01:40:45 PM »

So have we just retuned to status quo ante Morsium? Sisi will basically just be a successor to Mubarak barring a major change in fortunes?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 04:22:34 PM »

So have we just retuned to status quo ante Morsium? Sisi will basically just be a successor to Mubarak barring a major change in fortunes?

Actually, it is worse. Sisi is a more ruthless dictator, and he needs to use more violence, while permitting less freedom than Mubarak.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 10:24:51 PM »

Well, I guess Mursi's election proved that democracy isn't necessarily valuable in and of itself in all countries. It is rather a means to an end: more freedom. I still think Sisi, with all his flaws, is a better president than Mursi.
Angel of Death
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 12:51:44 PM »

How different things might have been if Hamdeen Sabahi had made into the second round in 2012.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 04:56:15 PM »

How different things might have been if Hamdeen Sabahi had made into the second round in 2012.

How?
seb_pard
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 06:40:34 PM »

I firmly believe that, people who say that others are not ready for democracy should be permanently deported to those countries that do not have democracy. Al Sisi's Egypt would be the perfect place for certain posters here.

"More freedom", my ass.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2015, 06:05:33 PM »

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/originals/2015/12/egypt-parliament-elections-bribe-candidates.html#ixzz3uguyAuiA

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2015, 07:21:09 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Heck, at that rate, Atlas should just start an Egyptian election bribe pool and pay for votes for all our favorite candidates.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies