Russia bans transgender people from driving, because of "mental disorders"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:35:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia bans transgender people from driving, because of "mental disorders"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Russia bans transgender people from driving, because of "mental disorders"  (Read 3707 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 11:55:09 AM »
« edited: January 13, 2015, 11:57:50 AM by sex-negative feminist prude »

This isn't uncomplicatedly true.

EDIT: Sol beat me to it.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 12:47:30 PM »

I believe that Russians have the right to enforce their traditional moral standards, which includes the ostracisation of transexuals. I believe the Saudis have the same right. And indeed so do Americans. If they choose to do so or not is their choice, they should not be the made the victims of international pressure for defending their traditional culture!

are you a moral relativist?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 01:58:56 PM »

I don't want to squeeze you out of contributing, considering that you likely have much more familiarity with the history of such things than I do. Particularly since my googling skills could find like, nothing, on the history of trans* rights in the USSR.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 02:28:20 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2015, 02:53:36 PM by Murica! »

I don't want to squeeze you out of contributing, considering that you likely have much more familiarity with the history of such things than I do. Particularly since my googling skills could find like, nothing, on the history of trans* rights in the USSR.
They actually weren't that bad till now, hell a state owned news outlet once supported a trans women who couldn't get the operation because of bureaucracy, and this was maybe a year ago.
EDIT: Now I see that you said USSR, sorry.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 02:49:35 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2015, 09:45:15 AM by Charlotte Hebdo »

My point is Muslims are more transphobic then Russians are, yet the same liberals who despise the Russians for their defending their traditional values... they then turn around and embrace immigrants, refugees and so on who would kill any family member who came out as trans or gay.

Iran has the second highest amount of sex change operations in the world (after Thailand). It is seen as preferable that a transsexual changes gender and marry someone of the opposite sex than, say,  a biological male who is a self identified female having gay relationships with other biological males. Better change the boy into a girl, that can then marry a boy than risk gay liaisons. So yes, it is complicated.

In the Western world we are used to thinking that homophobia automatically leads to transphobia, but this relationship is at least more complicated in others cultures. While Muslims on average are more homophobic than Russians that does not directly translates into being transphobic in all parts of the Islamic world.

Transgender Mukhannathun are mentioned in a positive way in a couple of Hadith, which has led to a tolerant interpretation by some classic scholars and modern Islamic scholars have suported their right to sex change operations.

There is also the continued existence of the Hijra community in Pakistan and among Indian Muslims.  

So there are traditional roles open for transgender people in many Muslim countries and some religious legitimization of their status, which is not the case in Russia.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies