Chomsky video on Charlie Hedbo and "defense of free speech"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:01:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Chomsky video on Charlie Hedbo and "defense of free speech"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Chomsky video on Charlie Hedbo and "defense of free speech"  (Read 3559 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2015, 07:27:28 PM »

this is from 2 years ago, after the mag was in the news for publishing cartoon depictions of Mohammed and other Muslims:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-FD6leCKU&feature=youtu.be

it's hard to hear him... his point is that Hedbo is being congratulated as a beacon for "free speech" as they published caricatures of Muslims, but if they had published a caricature of a Jew they'd be prosecuted under the anti-anti-Semitism laws. rendering French "self-congratulation" over their defense of "free speech" "fakery" and "fraud".
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 07:31:10 PM »

this is from 2 years ago, after the mag was in the news for publishing cartoon depictions of Mohammed and other Muslims:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x-FD6leCKU&feature=youtu.be

it's hard to hear him... his point is that Hedbo is being congratulated as a beacon for "free speech" as they published caricatures of Muslims, but if they had published a caricature of a Jew they'd be prosecuted under the anti-anti-Semitism laws. rendering French "self-congratulation" over their defense of "free speech" "fakery" and "fraud".

No offence, but why should that be interesting ?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 07:31:37 PM »

Comparing all Jews to Mohammed is a ridiculous comparison. If They drew Moses, no one would care. If they drew Moses getting sexed in the butt, people would complain but nowhere near what Muslims do.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 07:40:36 PM »

Comparing all Jews to Mohammed is a ridiculous comparison. If They drew Moses, no one would care. If they drew Moses getting sexed in the butt, people would complain but nowhere near what Muslims do.

Hedbo drew caricatures.   caricatures are by definition drawn to exaggerate (usually) physical characteristics.  

publishing a drawing of a Jew w/ a scraggly beard, hook nose, eagerly clutching bag of gold would likely be prosecuted as the equivalent of hate speech in France and much of Europe.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 07:46:10 PM »

Hedbo drew caricatures.   caricatures are by definition drawn to exaggerate (usually) physical characteristics.  

publishing a drawing of a Jew w/ a scraggly beard, hook nose, eagerly clutching bag of gold would likely be prosecuted as the equivalent of hate speech in France and much of Europe.

Caricatures are not evaluated in the way you think in Europe (there may be a couple of exceptions, but France is not one of them). There are much wider limits for what you can draw than write.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 07:51:48 PM »

I'm pretty sure Charlie Hebdo drew Jews that way more than a few times, through, invalidating your point.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:57:29 PM »

I do have to mention that a lot of the caricatures drawn by Charlie Hebdo are pretty damn disturbing. It was quite hard to view, actually. I thought stuff like that ended in the 1950's, but I was mistaken. I am all for free speech, but the guy was a dick.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 07:58:50 PM »

I do have to mention that a lot of the caricatures drawn by Charlie Hebdo are pretty damn disturbing. It was quite hard to view, actually. I thought stuff like that ended in the 1950's, but I was mistaken. I am all for free speech, but the guy was a dick.

It is a magazine, not the name of a guy.
danny
Israel

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 08:03:38 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2015, 01:58:20 PM by danny »

You mean like this?

Edit: I removed a picture that wasn't by Charlie habdo that I posted by mistake.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 08:39:18 PM »

Huh, for whatever reason I thought the editor's name was Charlie and I assumed that was his last name. I am aware the name of the magazine is Charlie Hebdo.

In any case, I obviously don't get their art because they call themselves anti-racist, but print extremely racist caricatures.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »

Huh, for whatever reason I thought the editor's name was Charlie and I assumed that was his last name. I am aware the name of the magazine is Charlie Hebdo.

In any case, I obviously don't get their art because they call themselves anti-racist, but print extremely racist caricatures.

Charlie Hebdo is very anti-religious.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 08:46:01 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2015, 08:49:41 PM by Charlotte Hebdo »

It just means Weekly Charlie. I think Americans have a tendency to evaluate whether something is racist by formal criteria, like certain words and stereotypes are racist by definition, whereas Europeans judge by the intention and context.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 08:51:23 PM »

Political cartoonists in America crap their pants anytime a Black politician is in the news because it's impossible to draw a caricature of a non-White person without being called racist. They lucked out with Obama who I guess has big ears kinda? Anyway, that's how they always draw Obama, just a guy with huge ears.
ObserverIE
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -1.04

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »

You mean like this?

The first image isn't from Charlie Hebdo; it's the work of a far-right cartoonist associated with the not-at-all-anti-Semitic Dieudonné.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 10:13:04 PM »

Chomsky is a self hating Jew who will blame nearly everything on the West.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2015, 10:16:39 PM »

It just means Weekly Charlie. I think Americans have a tendency to evaluate whether something is racist by formal criteria, like certain words and stereotypes are racist by definition, whereas Europeans judge by the intention and context.

lol
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2015, 10:17:32 PM »

One of the reasons could be that these caricatures were used in a racist way in America in the past, but perhaps not as much in Europe.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 10:41:42 PM »

Noam Chomsky has actually experienced anti-Semitism, unlike many Jews who rush to the defense of Israel.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 10:46:13 PM »

"There have long been efforts to identify anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism in an effort to exploit anti-racist sentiment for political ends; "one of the chief tasks of any dialogue with the Gentile world is to prove that the distinction between anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism is not a distinction at all," Israeli diplomat Abba Eban argued, in a typical expression of this intellectually and morally disreputable position (Eban, Congress Bi-Weekly, March 30, 1973).

But that no longer suffices. It is now necessary to identify criticism of Israeli policies as anti-Semitism -- or in the case of Jews, as "self-hatred," so that all possible cases are covered."

(Noam Chomsky, Necessary Illusions, 1989)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 10:52:39 PM »

a few tidbits on the French tradition of free speech, currently under vicious attack from radial Islamists:

Charlie Hedbo fired Maurice Siné for anti-semitism.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/aug/03/france.pressandpublishing

Dieudonné M'bala M'bala has been prohibited from making public performances in France due to his alleged anti-semitism.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 11:20:58 PM »

Neither was killed though.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 11:28:34 PM »

again, the distinction of the state taking action vs private individuals.  Jews have the pull to use the state to censor what they don't like -- though reportedly the JDL did write Sine a death threat.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 11:44:10 PM »

Political cartoonists in America crap their pants anytime a Black politician is in the news because it's impossible to draw a caricature of a non-White person without being called racist. They lucked out with Obama who I guess has big ears kinda? Anyway, that's how they always draw Obama, just a guy with huge ears.

Considering that this

was an actual New Yorker cover, I would not fear too much for American cartoonists.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 12:30:54 AM »

Yeah, censorship isn't a big deal until someone gets killed. Sure. Roll Eyes
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 05:43:00 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2015, 05:45:04 AM by Antonio V »

*facepalm*

I think Americans have a tendency to evaluate whether something is racist by formal criteria, like certain words and stereotypes are racist by definition, whereas Europeans judge by the intention and context.

You may be on something here. Charlie Hebdo often played with racist tropes in order to cast ridicule on them. I'm not sure if it's the best response, but it's a legitimate one.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies