Is the midwest pro-life?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:39:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is the midwest pro-life?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Is the midwest pro-life?  (Read 5590 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 21, 2005, 05:01:25 AM »

Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and North Dakota are five of only twelve states where the death penalty isn't an option.  Where do these states tend to stand on abortion?  I would assume North Dakota and Iowa are generally pro-life, but the others might lean pro-choice.  As of now I'd say the only states that are definitively anti-abortion and anti-death penalty are Rhode Island, West Virginia, and maybe North Dakota.  Would the midwestern states add any to that list?
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 10:20:55 AM »

Check out this thread.

It started out just talking about abortion, but soon included the death penalty as well.

Most people believed that RI was pro-choice.  The only state that came up pro-life and anti-death penalty was WV.  I suggested PA, IA and MN also (MN is a stretch for pro-life).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 10:16:39 PM »

ND is not anti-death penalty. They just don't have it because they think they don't need it and like it that way to remind themselves of how little crime they have (I'm dead serious.)

I would say that while MN is de jure pro-life, many people don't let social issues effect their vote or hate the religious right more than social liberals even though they don't agree with either (the northeast is the perfect example of this.) So it's not really in a political sense. I also strongly doubt we'd outlaw abortion if Roe v. Wade was overturned, although there'd be some restrictions.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 11:47:54 AM »

Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and North Dakota are five of only twelve states where the death penalty isn't an option.  Where do these states tend to stand on abortion?  I would assume North Dakota and Iowa are generally pro-life, but the others might lean pro-choice.  As of now I'd say the only states that are definitively anti-abortion and anti-death penalty are Rhode Island, West Virginia, and maybe North Dakota.  Would the midwestern states add any to that list?

Do you have a map of which states have the death penalty as an option?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 11:59:16 AM »

blue = has it
red = doesn't have it
gray = has it but has never used it
green = has it and has used it in the past, but is very unlikely to use it ever again despite it not being officially abolished yet.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 12:28:15 PM »

blue = has it
red = doesn't have it
green = has it and has used it in the past, but is very unlikely to use it ever again despite it not being officially abolished yet.

Hmm, the midwest definitely stands out, as well as New England. The pacific coast also stands out if for nothing but the fact that its a liberal area that uniformly has and has used the death penalty.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 01:28:38 PM »

Check out this thread.

It started out just talking about abortion, but soon included the death penalty as well.

Most people believed that RI was pro-choice.  The only state that came up pro-life and anti-death penalty was WV.  I suggested PA, IA and MN also (MN is a stretch for pro-life).

Most say PA is pro-life, but as BRTD said about MN, it's de jure pro-life.  PA residents are 55% pro-choice in most Quinnipiac polls.  Pro-lifers like to bark more here and get their candidates in.  That's why us pro-choicers have to be more vocal.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 01:39:49 PM »

Check out this thread.

Most say PA is pro-life, but as BRTD said about MN, it's de jure pro-life.  PA residents are 55% pro-choice in most Quinnipiac polls.  Pro-lifers like to bark more here and get their candidates in.  That's why us pro-choicers have to be more vocal.

We are a Pro Life state. There is a reason why the abortion issue plays a big role in our races (and why there aren't many Pro Choice candidates elected to office).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 01:57:44 PM »

blue = has it
red = doesn't have it

Hmm, the midwest definitely stands out, as well as New England. The pacific coast also stands out if for nothing but the fact that its a liberal area that uniformly has and has used the death penalty.

actually the pacific coast is misleading since this doesn't include numbers of executions. Since the death penalty was relegalized in 1977 there have been only 2 executions in Oregon, 4 in Washington and 11 in California (a low number considering its population)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 03:43:12 PM »

Go West Virginia!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005, 10:25:55 AM »

New York has used the death penalty in the past. The first person executed with the electric chair was killed in NY state.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005, 10:33:38 AM »

Not since 1977, when the death penalty was relegalized and what the map takes into account.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005, 10:40:44 AM »

Not since 1977, when the death penalty was relegalized and what the map takes into account.

Ok, I wasn't sure if that's what you were talking about or not. Thanks. Smiley
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 11:27:12 AM »

Ok, I wasn't sure if that's what you were talking about or not. Thanks. Smiley
I thought I remembered a lot of talk about restarting executions when Pataki became governor.  I guess it was just all talk.

CA is not that surprising as a state with a death penalty.  Crime is a big enough problem that governors don't dare push for a repeal for fear of being seen as weak on crime.  The racial aspect of opposition to the death penalty doesn't gain much traction in CA because it is generally seen by Californians as being a problem only in other states (i.e., the South, esp. Texas).
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 12:39:32 PM »

Check out this thread.

We are a Pro Life state. There is a reason why the abortion issue plays a big role in our races (and why there aren't many Pro Choice candidates elected to office).

Look the the past few Quinnipaic polls.  The average margin between the 2 is +10 PRO-CHOICE!  We are a pro-chocie state, but somehow elect anti-choice candidates.  I know what I'm talking about when I say the GOP knows how to gerrymander according to political geography better by consolidationg large numbers of Democrats in fewer Democratic districts. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 03:10:55 PM »

Check out this thread.

Look the the past few Quinnipaic polls.  The average margin between the 2 is +10 PRO-CHOICE!  We are a pro-chocie state, but somehow elect anti-choice candidates.  I know what I'm talking about when I say the GOP knows how to gerrymander according to political geography better by consolidationg large numbers of Democrats in fewer Democratic districts. 

We are not Pro Choice. You need to remove yourself from SE PA.

(By the way, places in western PA have Democratic majorities yet elect strong Pro Lifers like Santorum and Hart. Don't play the "It's the Gerrymandering!" game.)
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2005, 03:55:27 AM »

Check out this thread.

We are not Pro Choice. You need to remove yourself from SE PA.

(By the way, places in western PA have Democratic majorities yet elect strong Pro Lifers like Santorum and Hart. Don't play the "It's the Gerrymandering!" game.)

How can you sit there and see a 10 point lead for pro-choice voters over anti-choicers and call PA a "pro-life" state?  The polls were taken.  Even internal polling in NE Philly shows we are a pro-choice section of the city albeit the most conservative.  Granted I will concede parts of the NE such as Mayfair and Fox Chase to antiabortionists, but elsewhere, it's pro-choice.  I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Anti-abortionists are more vocal and are more likely to shun someone for being pro-choice rather than the other way around.  Us Democrats have to walk a tightrope on this issue.  I also think pro-choicers feel guilty about the issue because they subconsciously feel it's wrong, but that's likely due to the chest beating of people with 5th grade writing skills that have a safe haven in the Northeast Times to write their incoherent, baseless bullsh**t.     
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2005, 10:49:05 AM »

Flyer's what was the question they asked in the poll. I ask this because the answers to the questions "Should we ban all abortion?" or "Should Roe vs. Wade be repealed and have the states decide on abortion laws?" would be wildly different.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2005, 11:02:43 AM »

I don't know the answer to your question, but a little search of terms such as "abortion polling data" and "by state" might turn up some. 

More importantly, you might consider adding the all-important third member of the ProLife triumverate to your list of parameters:  euthanasia. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005, 02:18:05 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1) Where's this poll?

2) Look at our elected officials. Even with huge Democratic turnouts, Pro Lifers get elected. We are a Pro Life state.

3) Great way to have a debate. Imply that Pro Lifers who write into the NE Times are retarded. I know you've written letters. You just hate being shouted down in this area of the city. Oh well. Get over it.

4) Relates to the above comment - You make Pro Lifers and conservatives out to be mentally challenged individuals. How about the idiots that follow everything their Union leader tells them to do because they have hardly any knowledge of their own? Might I point out many of the folks are Democrats. You want to talk about morons? Look at those people.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 07:07:50 PM »

Look at our elected officials. Even with huge Democratic turnouts, Pro Lifers get elected. We are a Pro Life state.

I think I mentioned once before that Matthews made the same point on Hardball.  He tried, for about thirty seconds, to analyze that fact, but you know how scatter-brained he is.  Got to talking about something else with his guest, a Pennsylvania catholic monsignor, who was there anyway to talk about the election of a new pope.  But essentially, the evidence agrees with you:  You live in what would be considered a Pro Life state, by the standard set forth in this thread.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 01:39:14 AM »

Look at our elected officials. Even with huge Democratic turnouts, Pro Lifers get elected. We are a Pro Life state.

I think I mentioned once before that Matthews made the same point on Hardball.  He tried, for about thirty seconds, to analyze that fact, but you know how scatter-brained he is.  Got to talking about something else with his guest, a Pennsylvania catholic monsignor, who was there anyway to talk about the election of a new pope.  But essentially, the evidence agrees with you:  You live in what would be considered a Pro Life state, by the standard set forth in this thread.

Based on legilslature, yes.  Based on polling, NO!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 10:48:46 AM »

okay, that just goes to show you the importance of defining terms.  I still think if you look at polling data for the combined triumverate of Pro Life, you may very well be able to show that PA is the most Pro Life state in the united states.  Do it like the UN does the Human Development Index, with 3 equally weighted 3 factors.  That seems fairly objective.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2005, 01:21:35 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2005, 01:23:26 PM by Flyers2006 »

okay, that just goes to show you the importance of defining terms.  I still think if you look at polling data for the combined triumverate of Pro Life, you may very well be able to show that PA is the most Pro Life state in the united states.  Do it like the UN does the Human Development Index, with 3 equally weighted 3 factors.  That seems fairly objective.

For angus's and Keystone's reference, here's the recent poll.  Funny even my answer would be most cases.  49 pro-choice, 44 anti-choice, 7 DK/NA.  This is one of the most anti-choice ones from Quinnipiac out of the 3 most recent.  I'd be happy to pull the other ones later.  READ IT AND WEEP!!!!

19. Do you think abortion should be legal in all cases, legal in most cases,

illegal in most cases or illegal in all cases?

Tot     Rep     Dem     Ind     Men     Wom

Legal all               16%     10%     23%     12%     14%     18%

Legal most              33      21      38      44      35      31

Illegal most            26      33      18      27      28      24

Illegal all             18      29      14      10      16      20

DK/NA                    7       7       7       7       8       6

Source: http://politicspa.com/temp/clay_f.htm

Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2005, 02:35:47 PM »

Problem is, legal most and illegal most can mean alot of different things to alot of people. The ideal question would use trimesters.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies