RomneyWatch: Upgrade to "Almost certainly" running again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:57:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  RomneyWatch: Upgrade to "Almost certainly" running again
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: RomneyWatch: Upgrade to "Almost certainly" running again  (Read 9139 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2015, 06:50:41 PM »
« edited: January 15, 2015, 07:02:05 PM by Likely Voter »

I think Romney was being sincere when he said he wasn't going to run, so what has changed? It seems the biggest thing is that Bush went from unlikely to almost certainly running, and Bush is suddenly aggressively going after the donor class (Romney's peeps). I think that Romney was hoping that someone like Kasich could have stepped up, but perhaps he fears Bush is pushing out any other mainstreamers and so he has to step in.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2015, 11:26:42 PM »

Ah, what the hell. I'm rooting for him for the primary. 2008 I rooted for Huckabee on the GOP side, 2012 for Gingrich, 2016, why not Romney? I think he might be the most entertaining candidate in the field.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2015, 11:26:35 AM »

Ah, what the hell. I'm rooting for him for the primary. 2008 I rooted for Huckabee on the GOP side, 2012 for Gingrich, 2016, why not Romney? I think he might be the most entertaining candidate in the field.

You don't find Ted Cruz's message compelling? Smiley
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2015, 11:46:26 AM »

It's also worth remembering the strength of the epistemic bubbles that surround Presidential candidates. If 2012 taught us nothing else, it's that Romney and his associates - who apparently believed through election day that his victory was all but assured - are surrounded by an especially strong bubble. (Maybe he's reading the Atlas?The reaction among conservatives here seems to have been more positive than the reaction among conservatives elsewhere, which might tell us something interesting.)

Wealthy conservatives like Romney.

Not this time.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2015, 11:22:53 AM »

So if Romney was running right now, how would the GOP field be different at this point?
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2015, 11:24:47 AM »

So if Romney was running right now, how would the GOP field be different at this point?

Half of Kasich's support would be gone,  Bush would be in third instead of second.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2015, 12:45:33 PM »

This summer has proven why he should've run.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »

Necromancy, as in reviving old threads, is disfavored around here. This is one example as to why. Seeing this thread pop up again, and not knowing its date of origin, suggests that Mittens has suddenly sent out signals that he might want to save the party from what he sees as its cast of duds. Obviously such a rather earth shaking event is not in play here. Make sense?

Just create a new thread is you want to broach this "what if" issue. Of course, such a thread would better be put in the "What if" board, but I digress.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2015, 03:09:22 PM »

It looks like the establishment severely miscalculated by picking Jeb over Romney.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2015, 03:53:11 PM »

Guys, Romney was a bad candidate four years ago and would still be a bad candidate today. Just remember, at points he was losing to: Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, and Rick Santorum. Two of those people can't even crack the top 10 in this field, one was pushed out of the Speakership by his own party, and the other rose up by saying 9-9-9 about twenty times a day.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2015, 03:54:52 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2015, 03:57:07 PM by Blue3 »

Necromancy, as in reviving old threads, is disfavored around here. This is one example as to why. Seeing this thread pop up again, and not knowing its date of origin, suggests that Mittens has suddenly sent out signals that he might want to save the party from what he sees as its cast of duds. Obviously such a rather earth shaking event is not in play here. Make sense?

Just create a new thread is you want to broach this "what if" issue. Of course, such a thread would better be put in the "What if" board, but I digress.
That why I upped this thread. For people to seriously consider what it would mean if Romney was back in.

And honestly, if AL GORE may be reconsidering, perhaps Romney is too.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2015, 03:59:55 PM »

Might as well get John McCain in the race too.  While were at it, let's give Bob Dole another chance.  And Bush Sr. can run again, so why not?

TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2015, 10:13:24 PM »

Guys, Romney was a bad candidate four years ago and would still be a bad candidate today. Just remember, at points he was losing to: Rick Perry, Herman Cain, Newt Gingrich, and Rick Santorum. Two of those people can't even crack the top 10 in this field, one was pushed out of the Speakership by his own party, and the other rose up by saying 9-9-9 about twenty times a day.

Romney's always been overrated as a candidate. The GOP renominating a loser when it has younger rising stars to pick from would look especially asinine.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2015, 12:08:34 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 12:15:19 AM by Senator Polnut »

The people who threw millions at his campaign in 2012 would be very hesitant to throw any more considering how terrible a candidate he was. Although, he's better than almost all of the current GOP bench.

He'd wouldn't be a top-tier, only because the party is even more out of control and Trump would still be being vile and therefore popular.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2015, 08:12:10 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 08:21:45 AM by mvd10 »

When I saw this thread I actually thought Mitt was running... Cruel, cruel people... He ran a terrible campaign and a general election vs Romney probably would have been the Hilldawg's dream so maybe it isn't that bad that he isn't running but I liked some of his ideas on the economy and he probably would be a better president than someone like Walker or Cruz who might actually have a chance at the nomination at this point.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2015, 09:39:58 AM »

When I saw this thread I actually thought Mitt was running... Cruel, cruel people... He ran a terrible campaign and a general election vs Romney probably would have been the Hilldawg's dream so maybe it isn't that bad that he isn't running but I liked some of his ideas on the economy and he probably would be a better president than someone like Walker or Cruz who might actually have a chance at the nomination at this point.

Hilldawg's dream has a small chance of becoming true....

When Bill & Hillary found out Jeb was running, they began freaking out probably. There was a report that surfaced that Bill Clinton fears Jeb Bush most and views Chris Christie as a "side show." No mention of their feelings of the other candidates have surfaced.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2015, 10:50:12 PM »

Obviously Mitt would be the best candidate, the best nominee, and the best President, but simply put, he will not be running.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies