Eisenhower drops Nixon as VP candidate in 1956. Who does he replace him with?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:07:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Eisenhower drops Nixon as VP candidate in 1956. Who does he replace him with?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Eisenhower drops Nixon as VP candidate in 1956. Who does he replace him with?  (Read 2334 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2015, 04:59:44 PM »

There was talk in 1956 of President Eisenhower dropping  Vice President Nixon as the Vice Presidential candidate.

If he did drop him, who should Eisenhower have picked to replace him?

What effect do you believe this development would have had on the 1956 election?

Please discuss.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 05:10:27 PM »

It would have been cool if it was Senator Margaret Chase Smith.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 06:21:30 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2015, 06:40:25 PM by Lincoln Republican »

It would have been cool if it was Senator Margaret Chase Smith.

A very interesting pick.  Republican Party would be far ahead of its time by naming a woman to a national ticket of a major party.

Other possibilities

Senator Prescott Bush from Connecticut.  This would have been another feather in the cap for the Bush dynasty.

Senator William Knowland from California.  The pick of Knowland would have been a slap in the face for Nixon as Knowland and Nixon were rivals for influence in the California Republican Party.  Knowland was in fact considered for VP by Eisenhower in 1952, but ultimately decided on Nixon.

Governor George Craig of Indiana.  Sided with the Eisenhower wing of the party in 1952.

Herbert Brownell, U.S. Attorney General in Eisenhower cabinet.  Brownell was very trusted by Eisenhower and was extremely helpful to Eisenhower especially in domestic policy.  He as well helped Eisenhower speed up desegregation in the South.  As a result, Brownell did  not go over well with large segments of the population in the South, so this would likely have hurt Eisenhower in the south  in the election.  However, the selection of Brownell would have said to the South and to the nation that we are doing what is right, not what is politically expedient.  This may have increased his support even more in the states outside the South. The Democrats won most of the deep South in 1956 anyway, so it would not have had any effect on another Eisenhower landslide victory anyway.        

Historia Crux
Andy Jackson
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 06:54:37 PM »

William Knowland comes to mind, as does Christian Herter and Harold Stassen.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 07:07:54 PM »

If he had picked Knowland, I think he would've been okay (minus a possible Nixon revolt), but any of the others, I think, garners a third party conservative challenge, causing the election to fall into strange territory, but I still think Eisenhower wins.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 08:06:26 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2015, 07:11:40 PM by L.D. Smith, Knight of Appalachia »

William Knowland without a doubt.

Although Governor Goodwin Knight would've been a pretty awesome pick.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 08:30:57 PM »

I know Ike speculated on replacing Nixon with Bob Anderson--his Navy Secretary I believe--or Democrat Frank Lausche.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 09:29:35 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2015, 11:54:34 PM by Lincoln Republican »

I know Ike speculated on replacing Nixon with Bob Anderson--his Navy Secretary I believe--or Democrat Frank Lausche.

Yes, Anderson would have been a solid, non controversial, capable pick, and Eisenhower would still have won a landslide victory.  

I believe Ike would have liked to have had Anderson join the ticket, and appoint Nixon Secretary of Defense, but Nixon fought hard to keep his position as Vice President, believing being dropped from the ticket would have been fatal to his political career.  I believe Ike did not want to to rock the boat too much just before an election,  so he kept Nixon on.  
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies