Would you rather make $200k doing nothing or take a job that pays $500k
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:10:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you rather make $200k doing nothing or take a job that pays $500k
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
$200k a year doing nothing

Take a job that pays $500k a year

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: Would you rather make $200k doing nothing or take a job that pays $500k  (Read 4235 times)
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 02:04:37 PM »

Option 1, of course!  I could get a flat in Manhattan and NY Rangers season tix at 200K.  My days could be spent exercising in Central Park and hitting up all the great little coffee joints NYC features.  Wonderful!

I don't even care for baseball but this is literally the perfect answer.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 06:01:01 PM »

Take a job that pays $500k a year.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 06:11:34 PM »

Option 2 because I get bored too easily.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 06:14:52 PM »

Option 1, of course!  I could get a flat in Manhattan and NY Rangers season tix at 200K.  My days could be spent exercising in Central Park and hitting up all the great little coffee joints NYC features.  Wonderful!

I don't even care for baseball but this is literally the perfect answer.

The New York Rangers aren't a baseball team.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 06:18:50 PM »

It really depended on what the job was and how many hours I had to work. It's not fun having a terrible job, which you work at 16 hours a day 6 days a week. On the other hand if it was something I enjoyed doing I would take the 500K.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2015, 06:25:38 PM »

The first option, because it gives you more options. You can start your own business (or, in my case, fund my own research) after just a few years' worth of savings.

That 500,000 a year job had better be a nepotistic sinecure, otherwise it's sure to be a complete hell. 
RR1997
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 07:02:29 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2015, 07:04:11 PM by RR1997 »

I forgot to mention something important (facepalm)

If you chose option 1, you can't have a job. If you get a job (even if it's a menial one), then you don't qualify for the $200K a year anymore. Much like how if you chose option 2, you don't get you're $500K a year salary if you quit your job for something else. Not having a job is basically your job in option 1. Volunteering is ok though.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 07:07:20 PM »

I wonder if any of you will change your minds after announcing the rule I forgot to announce.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 07:15:25 PM »

If you chose option 1, you can't have a job. If you get a job (even if it's a menial one), then you don't qualify for the $200K a year anymore. Much like how if you chose option 2, you don't get you're $500K a year salary if you quit your job for something else. Not having a job is basically your job in option 1. Volunteering is ok though.

There are enough opportunities for volunteering, and enough good causes in need of manpower, that this obviously doesn't change my answer.

I assume that things like "being a househusband" and "taking care of elderly parents" are also kosher under Option 1.

I think people forget just how much there is to do outside of the confines of traditional employment- and how worthwhile and necessary that stuff is.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2015, 07:26:54 PM »

There are enough opportunities for volunteering, and enough good causes in need of manpower, that this obviously doesn't change my answer.

I assume that things like "being a househusband" and "taking care of elderly parents" are also kosher under Option 1.

I think people forget just how much there is to do outside of the confines of traditional employment- and how worthwhile and necessary that stuff is.

Nope. Being a househusband and taking care of the elderly are acceptable in option 1. As long as you're not making any money from it, it's not considered a job. Travelling the world, meditation, etc. are also not jobs.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 08:32:38 PM »

The first, I'm not needy when it comes to material, $200k would get me all I demand.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 08:45:27 PM »

I'm glad that rule is in effect, wouldn't want to actually do something stupid like get a job when I'm getting 200k a year for doing nothing. I could tear up my resume, delete it from my computer, never worry about something evil like 'work' again.

Only greedy millionaires (like Mitt Romney, who never would have had to work a day in his life but instead chose to work hard to destroy jobs and chop up companies for his own profit) would choose to work. And only greedy people with boring lives would choose option 2.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 09:29:17 PM »

It depends on what the job is.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2015, 10:24:59 PM »

Option 1. I'm sure I could find a worthy cause to volunteer for once I get bored.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2015, 11:10:30 PM »

I'm glad that rule is in effect, wouldn't want to actually do something stupid like get a job when I'm getting 200k a year for doing nothing. I could tear up my resume, delete it from my computer, never worry about something evil like 'work' again.

Only greedy millionaires (like Mitt Romney, who never would have had to work a day in his life but instead chose to work hard to destroy jobs and chop up companies for his own profit) would choose to work. And only greedy people with boring lives would choose option 2.

I'm guessing you haven't read this thread or bothered to look at the poll results? People have given several reasons in this thread why that is not the case.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2015, 11:20:59 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2015, 11:22:53 PM by The Mikado »

I'm not sure that my purchasing habits would significantly change between 200k a year and 500k a year. Maybe you would have more success with this thought experiment if you picked a point where the sinecure wasn't something that put you above the household income of 95% of Americans. If the options were 50k a year for not working vs 500k a year for working it might be a more dramatic concept, but I honestly don't think that there's a lifestyle difference that would interest me between 200k a year and 500k a year.

The 200k would lead to me putting over a hundred thousand dollars away into investments a year and would build itself up into quite the nest egg over a few years. Are we paying taxes on the 200k?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2015, 12:30:08 AM »

Really if I made $200k a year I'd probably visit a different city each weekend just to play Ingress.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 12:33:52 AM »

Option 2 (unless it's something I really can't stand), and I can't really relate to people saying Option 1. I get it, but I can't imagine feeling that way myself.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 12:35:33 AM »

Any job that pays $500k a year would have to be extremely stressful and demanding.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 12:38:14 AM »

I would rather work for $50k than do nothing for $200k. Not being a leftist or wealthy, I find the psychological need to earn money for my time to be overpowering.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2015, 01:54:52 PM »

I don't even care for baseball hockey but this is literally the perfect answer.
The Rangers are a hockey team...

justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2015, 02:00:14 PM »

Can we have a little more information on what this job is?

I mean if someone came to me and told me "I will give you 200k to remain unemployed for a year or 500k to do a mystery job" I would be insane (and most importantly irresponsible) if I picked the job without having any idea what it is.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2015, 05:36:33 PM »

$200k per year is more money than I would know what to do with, and it would leave my life open to pursuing whatever passions I see fit. I learned long ago that chasing a dollar and taking a job I loathe is the path to dissatisfaction with life, whereas chasing my passion and trying to scrape together a living doing what I love is the path to happiness.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies