What outcome wouldn't be embarrassing for Romney?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:21:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What outcome wouldn't be embarrassing for Romney?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What outcome wouldn't be embarrassing for Romney?  (Read 3149 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2015, 04:50:38 PM »

Ramesh Ponoru had an interesting point on twitter: "Romney has sometimes lost but never been humiliated. A campaign now seems to me to run a non-trivial risk of that outcome."

If Romney runs again, how well does he need to do in order to avoid embarrassment?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 05:00:19 PM »

Him becoming president. At this point, even a narrow loss in the general would be extremely embarrassing for him. A decent sized or landslide loss? Even worse. A loss in the primary? He should probably just become a hermit if that happens.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 05:11:28 PM »

Win the primary and lose by a MUCH MUCH closer margin in the GE...if he lost the primary or lost as badly in the general as he did to obama or worse....that would be really bad.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 05:12:12 PM »

Win the primary and lose by a MUCH MUCH closer margin in the GE...if he lost the primary or lost as badly in the general as he did to obama or worse....that would be really bad.

Yep
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 05:25:51 PM »

Not winning 47% of the vote again.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 05:39:32 PM »

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 06:03:26 PM »

I get the impression that he's just someone who likes participating in politics to the maximum degree.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 06:46:50 PM »

Winning the popular vote (even if he doesn't win the electoral vote).
Nichlemn

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 07:24:40 PM »

Coming 2nd or better in the primaries. The idea that he needs to become President to avoid embarrassment is nonsense. It's really, really hard to become President, and getting a major party nomination is far better than what the vast majority of politicians achieve.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 07:29:10 PM »

Winning the popular vote (even if he doesn't win the electoral vote).
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 07:34:56 PM »

Actually winning and becoming President, but I think losing by a razor-thin margin against someone like Hillary would be "acceptable" as well.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 07:49:45 PM »

Coming 2nd or better in the primaries. The idea that he needs to become President to avoid embarrassment is nonsense. It's really, really hard to become President, and getting a major party nomination is far better than what the vast majority of politicians achieve.

You act as if the guy has never run before. The calculus is entirely different for someone who has already failed twice.
Nichlemn

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 08:44:11 PM »

You act as if the guy has never run before. The calculus is entirely different for someone who has already failed twice.

Hence "2nd or better", rather than say, "4th or better". Like I wouldn't say that someone like Gingrich had an "embarrassment" of a campaign, although I probably would if he'd been the Republican nominee before. If I'm Romney and I really want to be President, even if I think the chances of me eventually winning are less than 10%... that's not bad. It's much better odds than what many other hopefuls have every cycle. It's not an embarrassment to take those odds but fall a little short.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 09:10:14 PM »

Probably would take him not losing.
Nichlemn

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 11:05:11 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Rockefeller

Man, look at that loser. He had to hide away in shame at the embarrassment of losing three Republican Presidential primaries.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 11:08:35 PM »

Man, look at that loser. He had to hide away in shame at the embarrassment of losing three Republican Presidential primaries.

There is a difference, Rockefeller was not a dumb idiot like Romney.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 12:12:47 AM »

Actually winning and becoming President, but I think losing by a razor-thin margin against someone like Hillary would be "acceptable" as well.
Nichlemn

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 03:22:19 AM »

I'm sure in the 2055 Atlas thread "Who was the most embarrassing Presidential candidate?", Mitt Romney will be at the top for being a "dumb idiot".
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 05:01:47 AM »

I'm sure in the 2055 Atlas thread "Who was the most embarrassing Presidential candidate?", Mitt Romney will be at the top for being a "dumb idiot".

In that thread, he will probably be hailed as representing the glory days of "moderate" republicanism. Those were the days were Republicans and Democrats could actually talk with each other, you know (heck, Obama and Boehner even went golfing). Tongue
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 05:17:30 AM »

In that thread, he will probably be hailed as representing the glory days of "moderate" republicanism. Those were the days were Republicans and Democrats could actually talk with each other, you know (heck, Obama and Boehner even went golfing). Tongue

You know, sadly this could actually be true. Especially if Romney is hailed as a Modorate and hailed like Rockefeller.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 10:05:07 AM »

I'd say winning the presidency or narrowly losing.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 01:17:07 PM »

If Romney won the presidency narrowly in the popular vote, that would be less embarrasing.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 01:31:07 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Dumb idiot like Romney??? Hahaha thats literally hilarious, everyone on this board could only DREAM of accomplishing a quarter of what that man has in his life, and your calling him stupid?! comical
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 01:34:07 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2015, 01:35:43 PM by Northeast Member of Assembly Vapaus »

The only non-embarassing outcome is if he wins a clear victory in both the EC and PV.

Tom Dewey closed the gap and came closer to winning in 1948 compared to 1944, yet that didn't spare him the embarrassment of yet another defeat.

I would like to see Mitt run just to get thrashed again, this time even harder. Against Hillary under better economic conditions, Romney would do even worse than 2012. And a man this arrogant and privileged with such an incredible sense of entitlement deserves to get smacked down yet another time by the American people. Son of a mega-millionaire CEO and governor who made millions more destroying American jobs for his own profit, and 3-time loser for the presidency of the United States. A 3rd electoral defeat in a row would be a great way to end his public career as he rapidly approaches 70.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 06:39:25 PM »

For what it's worth, Richard Nixon barely lost to JFK in 1960, and lost by a larger margin to Pat Brown in 1962 in his bid for Governor of California. He was written off by everybody then-even himself. Furthermore, Ronald Reagan lost two bids for the Republican nomination (including a close one in 1976) and was dismissed by many observers at the time as a right-wing crank (from Hollywood B-movie fame, no less!).

Both of these men eventually became President, and were reelected in landslides.

Don't count Romney out just yet.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies