Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:07:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 78
Poll
Question: Will Bushie break 300 pounds before the end of February?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation  (Read 207282 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2015, 11:54:58 AM »

Its a folksy term for haircut. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #201 on: January 17, 2015, 12:16:20 PM »

I don't think creating a morbid obesity related deadly illness counts as dying in the name of Jesus.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #202 on: January 17, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »

I can't imagine such an idea making it past his church friends, much less Ma and Pa's game plans. 

He could bill it as a trip to holy sites. Now I know the first thought will be "But...those are Cat-o-lick places, Jeffie!" I still think there's a way to work it.

Do any non-Mormon US churches send missionaries to (re)evangelize post-Christian Europe? I know some African churches try to. It would in many ways make more sense than going to already Christian parts of Africa.

I know the Internaional Mission Board goes all over the world to Europe, Africa, Asia, South America, Australia.  We have a mission to tell every single person on the face of the planet about Jesus Christ and give them the opportunity to acknowledge there is no other way to heaven but through Jesus Christ and accept Him into their life.  That's why the Bible is being translated into every single language and dialect on earth including local African languages like Luo and Swahili.
1. Do you think there are Europeans who haven't heard of Jesus? Frankly, it'd be a rare African who hasn't either, but I suppose there are a few stray isolates kicking around here or there.
2. You're translating the Bible into Swahili and Luo? Those are very common languages (in as much as either can be described as a single unified tongue). Why on earth would you need to do translation work? You may as well translate the Bible into Italian, and take Phil up on his offer to go to Europe and convert the Papists.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #203 on: January 17, 2015, 12:59:47 PM »

If Bushie actually had the ambition to take a solo backpacking trip across Europe, he wouldn't need to do it because he wouldn't be Bushie and there would be no problem.  It's the same as the ideas that Bushie should start experimenting with drugs or join an recreational adult sports team.

Bushie is a man with ambitions of one day living in Jacksonville, Florida. Any attempt to get him to embrace life is barking up the wrong tree.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2015, 01:08:59 PM »

If Bushie actually had the ambition to take a solo backpacking trip across Europe, he wouldn't need to do it because he wouldn't be Bushie and there would be no problem.  It's the same as the ideas that Bushie should start experimenting with drugs or join an recreational adult sports team.

Bushie is a man with ambitions of one day living in Jacksonville, Florida. Any attempt to get him to embrace life is barking up the wrong tree.

One day, I'm gonna get out of this dead end town and make it all the way to JACKSONVILLE!  YOULL SEE!!! 
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2015, 01:13:55 PM »

That's sort of the paradox of Update, isn't it? This is a guy who spends his free time napping, watching the most boring/pointless football/baseball games (that he himself likely has no emotional investment in either), eating the most boring food, and going to church, yet here we are, glued to his life story for the past five and a half years.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2015, 01:20:33 PM »

That's sort of the paradox of Update, isn't it? This is a guy who spends his free time napping, watching the most boring/pointless football/baseball games (that he himself likely has no emotional investment in either), eating the most boring food, and going to church, yet here we are, glued to his life story for the past five and a half years.

This is the US Election Atlas.  Bushie IS America.  There is good reason.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2015, 01:21:13 PM »

It's high art. Action and exciting sets is for pea brains.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2015, 01:23:38 PM »

Which only goes to show what a phenomenal story teller he is. Writing is his talent in life. Of that, I have no doubt.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #209 on: January 17, 2015, 01:41:35 PM »

Update definitely has a lot of parallels to Boyhood imo.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #210 on: January 17, 2015, 01:49:43 PM »

Update definitely has a lot of parallels to Boyhood imo.

I'm not sure Bushie can make it 2021 for it to be a 12 year experience, though.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #211 on: January 17, 2015, 02:43:21 PM »

Not only am I looking in Tulsa and my best friend is looking in OKC, but apparently, my church family in Tulsa is looking on my behalf.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #212 on: January 17, 2015, 03:05:40 PM »

Not only am I looking in Tulsa and my best friend is looking in OKC, but apparently, my church family in Tulsa is looking on my behalf.

You have a best friend?  Then why so much family time and no bro-downs?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #213 on: January 17, 2015, 03:09:59 PM »

Update reminds me of Battlestar Galactica. "All this has happened before, and all this will happen again."

Have requirements for partial or full disability been looked into, out of curiosity?

And it's not hard to get an appt. with a physician. You don't have to try to do that. You just get one, unless you want in now, in which case they probably won't have any slots open.

Disability has been discussed in previous seasons, with most Atlasians displaying a very naive view of America's social safety net. Suffice it to say, Bushie's problems are not really severe enough to warrant disability (which would not pay a whole lot anyway).

And remember that Bushie has to get an appointment with the local medicine man due to his free Indian health care. It's not just a matter of going to the nearest doctor's office.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #214 on: January 17, 2015, 03:44:30 PM »

Update reminds me of Battlestar Galactica. "All this has happened before, and all this will happen again."

Have requirements for partial or full disability been looked into, out of curiosity?

And it's not hard to get an appt. with a physician. You don't have to try to do that. You just get one, unless you want in now, in which case they probably won't have any slots open.

Disability has been discussed in previous seasons, with most Atlasians displaying a very naive view of America's social safety net. Suffice it to say, Bushie's problems are not really severe enough to warrant disability (which would not pay a whole lot anyway).

And remember that Bushie has to get an appointment with the local medicine man due to his free Indian health care. It's not just a matter of going to the nearest doctor's office.
There's no chance in hell he would qualify for medical disabilty. Psychiatric may be another story. Psych disability is widely regarded by just about everybody as much easier to get. We got a taste of that years ago when Snowguy's very ill mother could not get approved while whichever one of Bushie's many ex-fiancées that had the bipolar was pulling in a  (very modest) check. Mental illness is a much harder thing to document. I'm no psychiatrist, and even if I were, of course, I couldn't make my case based solely on the content of the Update. But, just as a layman with some very secondhand observations, I think the psych route is worth trying. There is no doubt he has some sort of mental situation that precludes him from working.  Of course, following through on that would involve seeing a mental health professional, which Bushie has indicated many times he has no interest in doing.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #215 on: January 17, 2015, 05:07:14 PM »

Imagine the amount of walking Our Dear Friend could accomplish during a trip to some major European city! And it wouldn't even seem like "grueling" walking since he'd be so caught up in sightseeing!

I honestly lose weight while over there based on the amount of moving around I do. This could be the diet he needs.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #216 on: January 17, 2015, 06:40:19 PM »

where will bushie be sleeping during his stay at the parent's mobile home?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2015, 06:54:28 PM »

Sleepover in the Train Room?

Of course, a mere sleeping bag would wreak havoc on Jeff's back. No doubt the Family Brown is making a trip to Wal-Mart to spend some money on an air mattress and electric air compressor.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2015, 06:54:39 PM »

where will bushie be sleeping during his stay at the parent's mobile home?

His parents will sleep on the floor with the dead dog, while he sleeps in their room.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: January 17, 2015, 07:17:02 PM »

I sleep on the couch.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #220 on: January 17, 2015, 07:48:19 PM »

"Putting in apps"

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2015, 07:56:55 PM »

That must be quite a sturdy couch. My ~200 pound brother used to sleep on the couch and caused huge dents in it.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2015, 08:10:41 PM »

That must be quite a sturdy couch. My ~200 pound brother used to sleep on the couch and caused huge dents in it.

I expect the Browns have a couch along the lines of this - maybe smaller but still complete with built-in cupholders for the XXL Braum's to-go cups.

Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2015, 08:10:43 PM »

The couch is several years old and hasn't shown any signs of stress due to weight.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2015, 08:12:26 PM »

I expect the Browns have a couch along the lines of this - maybe smaller but still complete with built-in cupholders for the XXL Braum's to-go cups.

Actually, it's just a normal 3-seat couch with no cup holders.  It does have a recliner on each end, though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies