Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:51:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 78
Poll
Question: Will Bushie break 300 pounds before the end of February?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation  (Read 208051 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: January 18, 2015, 05:14:14 PM »

Jeff, show an ounce of sanity and do your change of address form online. I would guess that you've been "up" at some point today, so the burden of getting up to get your wallet is a moot point. You'll pay more in time and fuel costs by going to the post office to fill out a paper form than you will the the $1.00 confirmation charge.

I know you wanted to make your week sound "busy," but aside from cleaning a house, you don't have much going on. Work smarter, not harder -- fill out the form online and use that valuable time on Tuesday to build a LinkedIn profile, continue the job search or reach out to some professional connections.

I'll do it online.  I don't know if I'll do it today or tomorrow or Tuesday, but I'll do it online.

I've already got a LinkedIn profile, but honestly, I do not know how it works, so I never look at it.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #251 on: January 18, 2015, 05:23:39 PM »

Jeff, show an ounce of sanity and do your change of address form online. I would guess that you've been "up" at some point today, so the burden of getting up to get your wallet is a moot point. You'll pay more in time and fuel costs by going to the post office to fill out a paper form than you will the the $1.00 confirmation charge.

I know you wanted to make your week sound "busy," but aside from cleaning a house, you don't have much going on. Work smarter, not harder -- fill out the form online and use that valuable time on Tuesday to build a LinkedIn profile, continue the job search or reach out to some professional connections.

I'll do it online.  I don't know if I'll do it today or tomorrow or Tuesday, but I'll do it online.

I've already got a LinkedIn profile, but honestly, I do not know how it works, so I never look at it.

What are you doing right now that is so G*d damn important that you can't take five minutes to change your address at the link I basically spoon-fed to you?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #252 on: January 18, 2015, 05:24:39 PM »

But aren't you an IT genius that was prepared to pass the A+ Certification with no experience for a helpdesk job? How do you not get LinkedIn?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #253 on: January 18, 2015, 05:28:28 PM »

But aren't you an IT genius that was prepared to pass the A+ Certification with no experience for a helpdesk job? How do you not get LinkedIn?

I'm good at IT, but I have never understood LinkedIn other than it's a networking site.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #254 on: January 18, 2015, 05:29:28 PM »

What are you doing right now that is so G*d damn important that you can't take five minutes to change your address at the link I basically spoon-fed to you?

Chill... I'll get to it soon.  I've got all week.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #255 on: January 18, 2015, 05:33:33 PM »

I'm good at IT, but I have never understood LinkedIn other than it's a networking site.

It's professional networking ... like an online resume on steroids. You can connect with colleagues and prospective employers, give and receive references, and access a lot of other employment-related networking, information and research.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #256 on: January 18, 2015, 05:36:26 PM »

I think Bushie has a point. LinkedIn is the most useless networking website I've ever seen. There's occasionally a good front page article. That's the most you can get out of it.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #257 on: January 18, 2015, 06:12:41 PM »

I think Bushie has a point. LinkedIn is the most useless networking website I've ever seen. There's occasionally a good front page article. That's the most you can get out of it.

That's a rather bold statement for opinion. I've gotten much more than that out of LinkedIn. It's all in how you use it and what you're trying to get out of it.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #258 on: January 18, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »

I think Bushie has a point. LinkedIn is the most useless networking website I've ever seen. There's occasionally a good front page article. That's the most I can get out of it.

That's a rather bold statement for opinion. I've gotten much more than that out of LinkedIn. It's all in how you use it and what you're trying to get out of it.

Eh, maybe I'm just technologically inept. Changed the pronoun to make it less factual sounding.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #259 on: January 18, 2015, 06:52:07 PM »

I haven't gotten anything out of it beyond knowing where people I went to college with are currently working.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #260 on: January 18, 2015, 07:06:37 PM »

I don't like LinkedIn, but I understand how it works.

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #261 on: January 18, 2015, 07:27:56 PM »

Chill... I'll get to it soon.  I've got all week.

With that kind of positive, can-do, proactive attitude, I can't possibly fathom why you're chronically unemployed!
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #262 on: January 18, 2015, 08:10:10 PM »

How have you used it and what did you get out of it? I keep my profile current and have dozens of connections, but I've never found a use for it other than snooping.

It was an easy way to make connections when I was looking for a job. I can connect with other professionals who do similar lines of work to share best practices. The articles and information can be good at times. I use it to connect with customers and potential customers, and I use it for recruiting and research on potential hires.

I also have my own blog on LinkedIn and have around 850 connections.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #263 on: January 18, 2015, 08:41:33 PM »

I don't like LinkedIn, but I understand how it works.

Indeed, I refuse to have it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #264 on: January 18, 2015, 08:52:10 PM »

Bushie, Jeff, whatever

Please take my advice and just deactivate your account... please. You were gone for a week and these fools had to make up stupid jokes just to keep this sh**ts alive...come on man. You know you are better than this, delete this and your Facebook, and these bums will be as screwed... many of them base their whole lives on this update thread, just force them to do something worthwhile.

Thank you for your advice.  I do need to just stop posting.  I did so good for almost two weeks, then I just couldn't hold it any longer.  Unfortunately, though, I cannot delete my forum account.  Plus, I enjoy talking politics, so that wouldn't work too well.  As far as Facebook, I have too many other real friends (over 500 worth) that it would be very time consuming to re-add them all with a new account and I don't want to lose the communication I have with them.  I did the next best thing and kicked five individuals off my Facebook who kept bringing stuff from my Facebook into the Update.  They were like dogs who kept dragging in road kill.  I still have some of the forum on my Facebook, those who I feel genuinely like me for more than entertainment purposes and don't bring stuff over.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #265 on: January 18, 2015, 09:09:17 PM »

Stop posting? You lost your job when you defriended the Atlas. You'll lose your life next. RIP Bushie.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #266 on: January 18, 2015, 09:46:29 PM »

Bushie, Jeff, whatever

Please take my advice and just deactivate your account... please. You were gone for a week and these fools had to make up stupid jokes just to keep this sh**ts alive...come on man. You know you are better than this, delete this and your Facebook, and these bums will be as screwed... many of them base their whole lives on this update thread, just force them to do something worthwhile.

And who are you exactly?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #267 on: January 18, 2015, 09:55:56 PM »

Bushie, Jeff, whatever

And who are you exactly?

...thank you.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #268 on: January 18, 2015, 10:05:09 PM »

I did the next best thing and kicked five individuals off my Facebook who kept bringing stuff from my Facebook into the Update.  They were like dogs who kept dragging in road kill.

Probably the most apt analogy you've ever made.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #269 on: January 18, 2015, 11:55:30 PM »

LOL these people are getting so angry, their lives are going to fall apart if they don't have this

You seem to be the one whose making the biggest deal out of this
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2015, 12:11:22 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

you're a monster Cry
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #271 on: January 19, 2015, 12:23:13 AM »

you're a monster Cry

Now you know how it feels.  You've insulted me and put me down all these years, but you always get mad and deny it when I call you out on it and make me look like the bad guy.  The road goes both ways.  I don't feel a bit sorry for my post.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #272 on: January 19, 2015, 12:35:36 AM »

you're a monster Cry

Now you know how it feels.  You've insulted me and put me down all these years, but you always get mad and deny it when I call you out on it and make me look like the bad guy.  The road goes both ways.  I don't feel a bit sorry for my post.

so rude Cry
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #273 on: January 19, 2015, 12:39:46 AM »

you're a monster Cry

so rude Cry

Complains the guy who just called someone a monster?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #274 on: January 19, 2015, 12:49:00 AM »

Bushie, Jeff, whatever

Thank you for your advice.  I do need to just stop posting.  I did so good for almost two weeks, then I just couldn't hold it any longer.  Unfortunately, though, I cannot delete my forum account.  Plus, I enjoy talking politics, so that wouldn't work too well.  As far as Facebook, I have too many other real friends (over 500 worth) that it would be very time consuming to re-add them all with a new account and I don't want to lose the communication I have with them.  I did the next best thing and kicked five individuals off my Facebook who kept bringing stuff from my Facebook into the Update.  They were like dogs who kept dragging in road kill.  I still have some of the forum on my Facebook, those who I feel genuinely like me for more than entertainment purposes and don't bring stuff over.

Wouldn't it be heartbreaking if, after all these years, this was the one piece of advice that Jeff took!?

You know, this Polls_PuffPass character may have a bit of a point with his so-called "controversial opinion." While I doubt anyone is taking out years of pent-up bullying aggression on Jeff or has some sort of homoerotic fascination with him, I would guess that many of us see the worst parts of ourselves in him.

So many of us who respond to his updates -- whether we're genuinely trying to help or not -- portray only the best of ourselves. At times, the pages seem to be filled with comments from Olympic athletes who exercise non-stop, Fortune 500 CEOs whose employment records are flawless and culinary masters who never eat poorly, all giving Jeff direction. Still others have overcome some of his very same challenges, whether they be in social relationships, employment or matters of health. We try to share what we've learned and get incredibly frustrated when Jeff rejects what we know to be sound advice.

Why do I keep posting here year after year, when none of my advice has been adhered to? I don't honestly know, other than I feel that Jeff is our own Sisyphus, and I want to see him succeed. I want Update to go away because Jeff finds success and the updates become boring, not because he shuts himself off to harsh truths. And I suppose I genuinely feel that some of my advice is sound, because I've been in his shoes at times and succeeded.

I'm probably also battling my own Jeff-like tendencies and giving myself reminders as much as I'm giving Jeff advice. Sometimes I fail at work. Sometimes I'm incredibly lazy. Sometimes I need a kick in the ass. Seeing what life is like when you don't stay consistent and work to better yourself is probably a motivator for me.

But it's probably too much to say that anyone's life would be empty without Jeff's updates. For now, he chooses to share and we choose to respond, and he probably takes up far less of anyone's mental energy than 20 "seasons" of updates belie.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies