Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:52:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 78
Poll
Question: Will Bushie break 300 pounds before the end of February?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation  (Read 208018 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: January 21, 2015, 08:49:28 PM »

You could always just make up some creative euphemisms to explain these gaps, so that you're not strictly lying.  One of my fellow managers interviewed a guy not too long ago that had a two year gap on his resume.  He said he was part of a 'security team in a gated community', and didn't feel it relevant to mention.  Turned out he'd been in prison.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #451 on: January 21, 2015, 09:32:30 PM »

I made it safely to Tulsa about half an hour ago.  I have nothing against grocery stores and do not consider those employees to be beneath me.  If you think I think that, you are grossly misinterpreting things.  Not entirely your fault, though, as I am very poor at explaining things.  To show I do not have anything against grocery stores, I went by the Reasor's grocery store chain on my way into town and picked up some milk and cereal for breakfast tomorrow.  I also had to get trash bags, but altogether, it only took me 11 minutes and $18, but I went by a grocery store that did not have the name Walmart on the front of the building.  The store smelt nice and fresh especially by the refrigerated section.  Saturday, I will go by Walmart as I will have several more groceries to purchase.  For just one or two things, though, like tonight, I have no problems going by the grocery store.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #452 on: January 21, 2015, 09:36:57 PM »

All gaps in Bushie's employment can be explained by his dedication to his life as a freelance blogger.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #453 on: January 21, 2015, 09:57:51 PM »

The store smelt nice and fresh especially by the refrigerated section.

Update XXI: A nice and fresh-smelling refrigerated section
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #454 on: January 21, 2015, 10:27:23 PM »

All gaps in Bushie's employment can be explained by his dedication to his life as a freelance blogger.

For the gap between Utah and Tulsa, I have one simple answer - school.  Most employers are happy that it's something productive and a worthwhile endeavor.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #455 on: January 21, 2015, 10:31:26 PM »

I made it safely to Tulsa about half an hour ago.  I have nothing against grocery stores and do not consider those employees to be beneath me.  If you think I think that, you are grossly misinterpreting things.  Not entirely your fault, though, as I am very poor at explaining things.  To show I do not have anything against grocery stores, I went by the Reasor's grocery store chain on my way into town and picked up some milk and cereal for breakfast tomorrow.  I also had to get trash bags, but altogether, it only took me 11 minutes and $18, but I went by a grocery store that did not have the name Walmart on the front of the building.  The store smelt nice and fresh especially by the refrigerated section.  Saturday, I will go by Walmart as I will have several more groceries to purchase.  For just one or two things, though, like tonight, I have no problems going by the grocery store.

Um... that's a novel interpretation/deflection of the "just get a job as a cashier!!" suggestion.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #456 on: January 21, 2015, 11:31:19 PM »

Oh, that's right. He lived in Utah for awhile.

I remember way, way back when Our Dear Friend was deciding on where to live between Oklahoma and Montgomery county, PA! Oh, how fun the latter would have been...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #457 on: January 21, 2015, 11:55:34 PM »

I've got most of the stuff I brought up here with me put away.  I still need to fold some socks and put them away so I can actually go to bed at midnight like I plan to.  I've got most of both baskets emptied.  The baskets will convert back to clothes hampers after I get them completely emptied.  Tomorrow, I am going to wake up around 0800 and watch the news and eat breakfast until 0830 and then hop in the shower and head out the door at 0930.  The job fair starts at 1000, but there will likely only be two or three vendors that will offer drafting jobs, so I imagine I will be back home by 1100 or 1115.  The job fair is only 5 1/2 miles from home, so it should only take 10-12 minutes to get there.  When I get home, I will change clothes, eat lunch, and do a little job search before I head back to Grandma's at 1400 for supper.  I will leave Mom and Dad's to come back up here to stay as close to 0900 Saturday morning as I can.
Panda Express

« Reply #458 on: January 21, 2015, 11:57:14 PM »

How is your non-deadbeat brother doing? He lives in New York, right? What does he do again?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #459 on: January 22, 2015, 12:01:53 AM »

How is your non-deadbeat brother doing? He lives in New York, right? What does he do again?

He's doing fine.  I'm not exactly sure what he does, but he is working and enjoying it.  Yes, he lives in far northern New York near Plattsburgh.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #460 on: January 22, 2015, 12:10:10 AM »

He's doing fine.  I'm not exactly sure what he does, but he is working and enjoying it.  Yes, he lives in far northern New York near Plattsburgh.

How can you not know what he does? That's always baffled me ... spouses, parents or siblings who don't know what those closest to them do. It seems quite common.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #461 on: January 22, 2015, 12:12:25 AM »

Not that I can cook worth a damn anyway, but buying food in Walmart simply makes my stomach turn.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #462 on: January 22, 2015, 12:29:22 AM »

How can you not know what he does? That's always baffled me ... spouses, parents or siblings who don't know what those closest to them do. It seems quite common.

Another great Update mystery. Bushie's family seems so close knit, with all the forced dinners and time together, yet he doesn't even know what his own brother's occupation is.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #463 on: January 22, 2015, 12:32:29 AM »

Not that I can cook worth a damn anyway, but buying food in Walmart simply makes my stomach turn.

Why? We shop at a Walmart -- they have "Neighborhood Markets" around Kansas City which are groceries-only. It comes down to price for us. We stock up really well for two-week time frames, and what was costing $350+ for two weeks' worth of groceries is often $100 less at Walmart. Plus they're consistent on what they have.

We go to an Asian market for fish and pork, though.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #464 on: January 22, 2015, 12:40:31 AM »

Why? We shop at a Walmart -- they have "Neighborhood Markets" around Kansas City which are groceries-only. It comes down to price for us. We stock up really well for two-week time frames, and what was costing $350+ for two weeks' worth of groceries is often $100 less at Walmart. Plus they're consistent on what they have.

They have the Neighborhood Markets down here in Tulsa and OKC, too.  One is just a mile from my Tulsa apartment.  I tend to prefer big Walmart's, though, as I've found the selection to be better and prices cheaper than the NM.  I trust big Walmart for my meat selection, especially ground beef, steaks, and roast. more than I do just about any place else.  We don't have old fashioned meat markets close by so Walmart is as good as we can do.  When I was in college, Alva had a meat market that cut your meat right in front of you before you bought it and took it home to cook.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #465 on: January 22, 2015, 12:49:36 AM »

In case anyone's interested, for Family Dinner #2 tonight, we are having roasted chicken straight from the Sam's club or Walmart Deli!

Mmm... the "Walmart Deli". You can't go wrong there!
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #466 on: January 22, 2015, 12:53:23 AM »

He's doing fine.  I'm not exactly sure what he does, but he is working and enjoying it.  Yes, he lives in far northern New York near Plattsburgh.

Damn, that's only about 90 minutes from my home in Vermont. I should meet up with Bushie's brother when I'm back home sometime so I can inform mama, papa, granny, and bushie what he's doing!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #467 on: January 22, 2015, 12:54:08 AM »

Essential reading for Bushie:

http://io9.com/the-secrets-of-highly-efficient-napping-1680906145?google_editors_picks=true
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #468 on: January 22, 2015, 12:59:55 AM »

You could always just make up some creative euphemisms to explain these gaps, so that you're not strictly lying.  One of my fellow managers interviewed a guy not too long ago that had a two year gap on his resume.  He said he was part of a 'security team in a gated community', and didn't feel it relevant to mention.  Turned out he'd been in prison.

Clever.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #469 on: January 22, 2015, 01:10:38 AM »

I don't see much of a problem with shopping at Wal Mart. For a lot of people, it's all that is really close by. And it's cheap, and I love a good deal. I'd go there for some things if I was close to one, but I usually just shop at Whole Foods or Harris Teeter due to proximity. But for utilities or packaged things, why not Wal Mart?

Maybe I feel the need to defend Wal Mart because I have become such a yuppy since New Years day.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #470 on: January 22, 2015, 01:12:02 AM »

In case anyone's interested, for Family Dinner #2 tonight, we are having roasted chicken straight from the Sam's club or Walmart Deli!

Actually, we had a change of plans, or rather clarification.  We ordered fried chicken from a local mom and pop eatery (imagine that!) called Jim's Fried Chicken.  They have been in business in Nicoma Park, OK for decades, but recently rebuilt and modernized their restaurant to include tables inside.  It used to be just for take out and, I think, catering, but now patrons can dine there if they so choose.  We chose the take out route, but that has quickly become our favorite fried chicken place.  It far surpasses the likes of KFC and even Popeye's.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #471 on: January 22, 2015, 01:14:10 AM »

Just doesn't seem appealing to me.  There is a Walmart a little less than 10 minutes from me, but never even thought about going there for food.  Have at least three, and probably more supermarkets that are closer (including one basically a minute from me).  Bunch of Deli's, etc nearby as well.  There are so many options around here, Walmart is never something I ever considered.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #472 on: January 22, 2015, 01:44:10 AM »

Actually, we had a change of plans, or rather clarification.  We ordered fried chicken from a local mom and pop eatery (imagine that!) called Jim's Fried Chicken.  They have been in business in Nicoma Park, OK for decades, but recently rebuilt and modernized their restaurant to include tables inside.  It used to be just for take out and, I think, catering, but now patrons can dine there if they so choose.  We chose the take out route, but that has quickly become our favorite fried chicken place.  It far surpasses the likes of KFC and even Popeye's.

A last-minute switch from healthy roasted chicken to unhealthy fried chicken. That's our Bushie!
Knives
solopop
« Reply #473 on: January 22, 2015, 02:44:47 AM »

You aren't going to live past 50.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #474 on: January 22, 2015, 08:44:14 AM »

The roast chicken from Wal-Mart is dripping in fat. I get one from there every now and then. I usually get one, break it up, and use the pieces as toppings for a salad.

As the Bushie clan eats, it wouldn't matter if its Wal-Mart fat roasted or fried since there will never be a salad.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies