Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:42:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 78
Poll
Question: Will Bushie break 300 pounds before the end of February?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation  (Read 207769 times)
J-Mann
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: January 25, 2015, 08:24:00 PM »

Perhaps I overreacted.  All I'm saying is business owners should not have to serve anyone and everyone that comes into their establishment.  They reap their own rewards.  Business owners have just as much right to turn me down if they so choose.  I'm not targeting the gay community exclusively.  I'm just thinking about truly free enterprise.  If people, of all colors, religious affiliations, and sexual orientations would stop getting so butt hurt over every little gust of wind that doesn't go their way, this world would be a lot better off and people could tolerate each other a whole lot better.  Again, religious people such as me are just as much to blame in getting butt hurt over every little thing as the non-religious community.  I will admit, I am just as much to blame, as well.  I am preaching to myself just as much, if not more, than anybody else.  So, don't act like I'm only targeting the gay community or pointing fingers.  I am not.  I am including everybody in this sermon, including myself.  As I tell those whom I have influence over, if you see me pointing a finger, just remember there are three more fingers pointing right back at me.

I don't think you overreacted. It's just full of immense complexity -- how do you balance the freedom of a business owner and the freedom of the individuals who want to buy his goods or services? At what point is it not OK for a business owner to say, "I don't want to serve you?" What reasons are justifiable?

Typically, people migrate to those businesses that mesh better with their needs, wants and societal / cultural point of view, ie: Target vs. Walmart, Whole Foods vs. Price Chopper, or the barbershop from "Friday" vs. Supercuts. But the catering-preferences of a business owner aren't always known ... so is it right that, say, a restaurant owner could ask you to leave because he didn't like your appearance, or your spousal choice, or your car?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #626 on: January 25, 2015, 08:31:09 PM »

bushie, i know you are a student of severe weather, do you believe in global climate change, or is it a liberal conspiracy?

I do not believe in global warming, but I do not believe it is a liberal conspiracy.  I believe the world has natural warming and cooling cycles and that we are just in a typical warming pattern and that we will eventually cool back down.

On what grounds do you believe this?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #627 on: January 25, 2015, 08:32:04 PM »

Bushie, if you feel that strongly about being against Civil Rights Laws, the President to take issue with is Lyndon Johnson, not Barack Obama, who has passed exactly ZERO Civil Rights laws.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #628 on: January 25, 2015, 08:32:17 PM »

Perhaps I overreacted.  All I'm saying is business owners should not have to serve anyone and everyone that comes into their establishment.  They reap their own rewards.  Business owners have just as much right to turn me down if they so choose.  I'm not targeting the gay community exclusively.  I'm just thinking about truly free enterprise.  If people, of all colors, religious affiliations, and sexual orientations would stop getting so butt hurt over every little gust of wind that doesn't go their way, this world would be a lot better off and people could tolerate each other a whole lot better.  Again, religious people such as me are just as much to blame in getting butt hurt over every little thing as the non-religious community.  I will admit, I am just as much to blame, as well.  I am preaching to myself just as much, if not more, than anybody else.  So, don't act like I'm only targeting the gay community or pointing fingers.  I am not.  I am including everybody in this sermon, including myself.  As I tell those whom I have influence over, if you see me pointing a finger, just remember there are three more fingers pointing right back at me.

I don't think you overreacted. It's just full of immense complexity -- how do you balance the freedom of a business owner and the freedom of the individuals who want to buy his goods or services? At what point is it not OK for a business owner to say, "I don't want to serve you?" What reasons are justifiable?

Typically, people migrate to those businesses that mesh better with their needs, wants and societal / cultural point of view, ie: Target vs. Walmart, Whole Foods vs. Price Chopper, or the barbershop from "Friday" vs. Supercuts. But the catering-preferences of a business owner aren't always known ... so is it right that, say, a restaurant owner could ask you to leave because he didn't like your appearance, or your spousal choice, or your car?

It is a delicate balance to which there are no easy answers.  Not everyone can be happy at the same time.  It's just part of what makes us human and proves we are woven together differently.  I'll be honest, I have no idea where to draw the lines and I think anyone would be fooling themselves if they knew exactly where to draw the lines.  Things must change, that much is certain, but the question is how and where.  I cannot answer that.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #629 on: January 25, 2015, 08:32:32 PM »

Why should Oklahoma's economy as a whole suffer just because the rest of the country doesn't want to spend an extra dollar a gallon (which is really not that much in the grand scheme of things)?

I'm pretty sure you're jerking our chains right now...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #630 on: January 25, 2015, 08:34:14 PM »

Perhaps I overreacted.  All I'm saying is business owners should not have to serve anyone and everyone that comes into their establishment.  They reap their own rewards.  Business owners have just as much right to turn me down if they so choose.  I'm not targeting the gay community exclusively.  I'm just thinking about truly free enterprise.  If people, of all colors, religious affiliations, and sexual orientations would stop getting so butt hurt over every little gust of wind that doesn't go their way, this world would be a lot better off and people could tolerate each other a whole lot better.  Again, religious people such as me are just as much to blame in getting butt hurt over every little thing as the non-religious community.  I will admit, I am just as much to blame, as well.  I am preaching to myself just as much, if not more, than anybody else.  So, don't act like I'm only targeting the gay community or pointing fingers.  I am not.  I am including everybody in this sermon, including myself.  As I tell those whom I have influence over, if you see me pointing a finger, just remember there are three more fingers pointing right back at me.

It is a delicate balance to which there are no easy answers.  Not everyone can be happy at the same time.  It's just part of what makes us human and proves we are woven together differently.  I'll be honest, I have no idea where to draw the lines and I think anyone would be fooling themselves if they knew exactly where to draw the lines.  Things must change, that much is certain, but the question is how and where.  I cannot answer that.
Are you writing Thomas Friedman columns now?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #631 on: January 25, 2015, 08:35:25 PM »

bushie, i know you are a student of severe weather, do you believe in global climate change, or is it a liberal conspiracy?

I do not believe in global warming, but I do not believe it is a liberal conspiracy.  I believe the world has natural warming and cooling cycles and that we are just in a typical warming pattern and that we will eventually cool back down.

My science textbooks in school taught me there was an ice age and a warming period.  Who is to say we are not headed for another ice age?  Man, as irresponsible as we are, cannot prevent another ice age.  God ultimately controls the temperature of the planet.  He has the thermostat in heaven and can warm it and cool it as He pleases.  After all, He created the planet.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #632 on: January 25, 2015, 08:37:33 PM »

Why should Oklahoma's economy as a whole suffer just because the rest of the country doesn't want to spend an extra dollar a gallon (which is really not that much in the grand scheme of things)?

Do you not remember that much of Oklahoma's and Texas's economies rely on the oil and gas industry?  It is no accident that the proposed Keystone XL Pipeline (which I support, BTW), would run through Oklahoma and Texas.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #633 on: January 25, 2015, 08:39:13 PM »

God ultimately controls the temperature of the planet.  He has the thermostat in heaven and can warm it and cool it as He pleases.  After all, He created the planet.

It's supposed to be 100 degrees here in Perth tomorrow.  Is God trying to cook me alive?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #634 on: January 25, 2015, 08:41:28 PM »

Do you not remember that much of Oklahoma's and Texas's economies rely on the oil and gas industry?  It is no accident that the proposed Keystone XL Pipeline (which I support, BTW), would run through Oklahoma and Texas.

If lower gas prices indeed hurt the Oklahoman economy as much as you're saying, you may want to take issue with those who run the oil companies. Take a look at their profits ... their net profits ... on a quarterly basis, and tell me whether or not those could take a sliver of a hit to keep people employed?

Of course they could. Lower prices don't mean that oil is any less necessary. The need for bodies is still high ... if people are losing their jobs, it's not because the oil companies don't have the funds available to invest in more expansion or the employees to make that happen. It's because they answer to investors who want to see a certain number on the bottom line.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #635 on: January 25, 2015, 08:42:13 PM »

God ultimately controls the temperature of the planet.  He has the thermostat in heaven and can warm it and cool it as He pleases.  After all, He created the planet.

It's supposed to be 100 degrees here in Perth tomorrow.  Is God trying to cook me alive?

Possibly!  You'd better repent, and repent quickly!!  Tongue  (just kidding)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #636 on: January 25, 2015, 08:42:58 PM »

Bushie do you support the repeal of the 1964 Civil Rights Act?
Panda Express

« Reply #637 on: January 25, 2015, 08:45:40 PM »

You'd think somebody has to drive 30 miles each way to do anything would appreciate low gas prices. But, I guess as far as Bushie is concerned, it's $0/gallon no matter what.

I would prefer $3.00 a gallon.  The low, low prices are killing oil field jobs in Oklahoma.  I have several friends who work in the oil field and they have reported massive layoffs due to the low oil prices.  Oil should be around $80 a barrel as a general rule according to some of my oil field worker friends.

Why should all of us in non-oil field jobs pay an extra $1.25 a gallon — a good $15 or $20 per week — to subsidize your couple of friends who work in the oil industry? Far more Americans benefit from lower oil prices than higher ones. Businesses too.

It is "that much." This has been like a tax cut for the middle class. Instead of spending $70 every time I fill up my tank, I'm spending $35. On my other car, it's $25 instead of $40. That's an extra $1,200 a year under normal conditions. Spend it or save it, this will have economically a wider a more-substantive impact than if a few oil businesses had slightly higher profits.

So, nobody cares about Oklahoma's economy or their workers?

The vast majority of people in Oklahoma aren't working the oil fields and therefore benefit tremendously from lower gas prices. Don't be an idiot.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #638 on: January 25, 2015, 08:46:53 PM »

My science textbooks in school taught me there was an ice age and a warming period.  Who is to say we are not headed for another ice age?  Man, as irresponsible as we are, cannot prevent another ice age.  God ultimately controls the temperature of the planet.  He has the thermostat in heaven and can warm it and cool it as He pleases.  After all, He created the planet.

Stop the presses! An unemployed manchild in Oklahoma has broken the overwhelming scientific consensus that global warming is occuring; he didn't even need to consult the myriad of evidence in favor, he simply had to misappropriate  a piece of information he learned in his Oklahoman middle school science textbook!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #639 on: January 25, 2015, 08:47:52 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2015, 08:50:42 PM by Lame Duck Obama »

Do you not remember that much of Oklahoma's and Texas's economies rely on the oil and gas industry?  It is no accident that the proposed Keystone XL Pipeline (which I support, BTW), would run through Oklahoma and Texas.

If lower gas prices indeed hurt the Oklahoman economy as much as you're saying, you may want to take issue with those who run the oil companies. Take a look at their profits ... their net profits ... on a quarterly basis, and tell me whether or not those could take a sliver of a hit to keep people employed?

Of course they could. Lower prices don't mean that oil is any less necessary. The need for bodies is still high ... if people are losing their jobs, it's not because the oil companies don't have the funds available to invest in more expansion or the employees to make that happen. It's because they answer to investors who want to see a certain number on the bottom line.

Big oil definitely bears a lot of the blame.  Of course they could take a little hit to spare their employees the hardship that comes with a layoff.  Be that as it may.  Prices as low as this are not all good news.  Sure, they ease the burden on the consumer's wallet, but the flip side is many American workers will have to struggle to feed their families or risk foreclosure or defaulting because daddy lost his job.

EDIT:  Let me add to this that $4.00 gas is not the answer, either as that also hurts many Americans.  No one is advocating for what we had just a few short months ago, but a happy medium of $2.50-$3.00.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #640 on: January 25, 2015, 08:48:56 PM »

No
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #641 on: January 25, 2015, 08:49:38 PM »

But you stated earlier that you believe business should be able to choose who they serve?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #642 on: January 25, 2015, 08:49:45 PM »

And the Fair Housing Act of 1968? It says that property landlords (in most cases) must accept those people as tenants in their own properties whether they like it or not!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #643 on: January 25, 2015, 08:51:42 PM »

But you stated earlier that you believe business should be able to choose who they serve?

Then, I kind of walked that back saying there is no easy answer.  Go back and read my dialogue with J-Mann again.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #644 on: January 25, 2015, 08:52:12 PM »

Bushie Economics: 50 million American families (of which Bushie's is one and would be a large saver) should lose a de facto yearly tax cut of ~$1,000+ because 5,000 oil workers could lose their jobs.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #645 on: January 25, 2015, 08:52:55 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2015, 08:55:47 PM by Lame Duck Obama »

And the Fair Housing Act of 1968? It says that property landlords (in most cases) must accept those people as tenants in their own properties whether they like it or not!

That's a good law.  Shelter is one of life's basic necessities.  No one, and I repeat no one, should be denied a place to live.

Maybe if everyone were afforded a place to live and food to eat whether they can pay for it or not, that would decrease the crime rate, the starvation rate, and even the suicide rate.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #646 on: January 25, 2015, 08:59:58 PM »

That's a good law.  Shelter is one of life's basic necessities.  No one, and I repeat no one, should be denied a place to live.

Maybe if everyone were afforded a place to live and food to eat whether they can pay for it or not, that would decrease the crime rate, the starvation rate, and even the suicide rate.

And thus the tricky nature of the whole discussion when it involves "religious conviction." In some areas of the country -- particularly in the parts you and I live in -- a known homosexual could legally be denied housing options if a landlord disliked that orientation.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #647 on: January 25, 2015, 09:07:12 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2015, 09:09:53 PM by Lame Duck Obama »

And thus the tricky nature of the whole discussion when it involves "religious conviction." In some areas of the country -- particularly in the parts you and I live in -- a known homosexual could legally be denied housing options if a landlord disliked that orientation.

Businesses that provide housing (Section 8, apartment complexes, community shelters etc.), food (grocery stores), basic clothing (including Walmart and Target), medical care (doctor's offices, hospitals), and emergency services (fire, police, EMT), as well as utility companies and HVAC companies should not be allowed to deny anybody services, whether white or black or gay or straight.  Basic human necessities should always trump religious conviction.  As far as the aforementioned bakery, that's different, because a wedding cake is not one of life's basic necessities, it is merely a luxury.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #648 on: January 25, 2015, 09:13:38 PM »

Should cable companies be allowed to discriminate?

If, say, Comcast cut off Jeff's service because they decided they don't want to serve fats, would they be within their right?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #649 on: January 25, 2015, 09:16:12 PM »

Should cable companies be allowed to discriminate?

If, say, Comcast cut off Jeff's service because they decided they don't want to serve fats, would they be within their right?

Cable TV is not one of life's basic necessities, so the answer is yes.  (BTW, we have Cox Cable).
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies