Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:08:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 78
Poll
Question: Will Bushie break 300 pounds before the end of February?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation  (Read 207271 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: January 28, 2015, 07:33:20 PM »

I have to break my brief silence.  Today was a more successful day in the job search arena.  I scored an CAD interview at a company in West Tulsa.  I have already PM'd a couple of Update regulars to get their thoughts.  I will say this that it is a contract-to-hire position and at least $15 an hour.  It's about 17-18 miles from my apartment completely on the west side of Tulsa, but I am used to driving 32 miles one way in OKC, so 18 is nothing. Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #876 on: January 28, 2015, 08:26:20 PM »

I have to break my brief silence.  Today was a more successful day in the job search arena.  I scored an CAD interview at a company in West Tulsa.  I have already PM'd a couple of Update regulars to get their thoughts.  I will say this that it is a contract-to-hire position and at least $15 an hour.  It's about 17-18 miles from my apartment completely on the west side of Tulsa, but I am used to driving 32 miles one way in OKC, so 18 is nothing. Smiley

Hopefully they are morbid-tolerant and not bigots. Good luck, man.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #877 on: January 28, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »

Hopefully they are morbid-tolerant and not bigots. Good luck, man.

Ha! We shall see.  Thanks!
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #878 on: January 28, 2015, 10:13:03 PM »

Things certainly are spread out in Oklahoma. I had a roughly 40-mile round trip when I worked in Manhattan but lived in the country outside of a small town physically separate from Manhattan.

In Kansas City, I have a 24-mile round trip per day ... and cutting down a few miles during the commute and on weekends has made a big difference. Thirty-two miles one way seems excessive, though I suppose you were working and living where you could.

I didn't mention this in my PM, but I'd consider that distance in your decision. Thirty-six miles per day, or 180 per week, would have you praising low gas prices.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #879 on: January 29, 2015, 07:18:59 AM »

This is part of the reason I don't understand renewing your lease when your employment is up in the air. Not only are you committing to a financial obligation you don't know when you can actually pay for, but you're removing any opportunity to find a place closer to whatever future job you have.

If you choose to work that far away, you're giving yourself an automatic pay cut and taking an extra hour a day out of your life that could be spent doing other things (more napping? more football?).
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #880 on: January 29, 2015, 09:05:33 AM »

time for a flashback:

how do you think mama bushie reacted when young bushie was eating 3+ bowls of sugary cereal for breakfast?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #881 on: January 29, 2015, 09:35:51 AM »

Good Thursday Morning.  Even though I have an interview tomorrow, naturally I'm going to continue the job search today.  An interview is not a job.  In about 10 minutes, I'm going to drive to find the company before I have to find it tomorrow.  Yes, I have my GPS and I have always been very good with maps, but I am a visual learner and I do better when I've been to the actual location before I have to go there.  It may seem like a waste of money and time, but I've found this is something that works for me.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #882 on: January 29, 2015, 09:40:03 AM »

Joe wins the internets, again.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #883 on: January 29, 2015, 09:49:20 AM »

Meh, you'd just be napping if you weren't doing that anyway so whatever.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #884 on: January 29, 2015, 10:23:30 AM »

Good Thursday Morning.  Even though I have an interview tomorrow, naturally I'm going to continue the job search today.  An interview is not a job.  In about 10 minutes, I'm going to drive to find the company before I have to find it tomorrow.  Yes, I have my GPS and I have always been very good with maps, but I am a visual learner and I do better when I've been to the actual location before I have to go there.  It may seem like a waste of money and time, but I've found this is something that works for me.

lol
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #885 on: January 29, 2015, 10:37:29 AM »

bushie how many steps do you walk a day.  15? 20?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #886 on: January 29, 2015, 10:44:58 AM »

lol

So are we still pretending Bushie doesn't have serious mental health issues? Because I don't see how you can read that post and not think so.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #887 on: January 29, 2015, 10:48:47 AM »

lol

So are we still pretending Bushie doesn't have serious mental health issues? Because I don't see how you can read that post and not think so.

I have mental issues for being a visual learner?  I don't get the correlation.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #888 on: January 29, 2015, 11:01:31 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2015, 11:18:10 AM by WalterMitty »

it is so sad  bushie is so like people in the benighted parts of the country in his view of mental illness.   he thinks it is 1. a moral failing (which is odd, because his true moral failings he doesnt give a second thought to).  2.  his image of mental illmess is a homeless mumbling and urinating on himself.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #889 on: January 29, 2015, 11:11:20 AM »

Good Thursday Morning.  Even though I have an interview tomorrow, naturally I'm going to continue the job search today.  An interview is not a job.  In about 10 minutes, I'm going to drive to find the company before I have to find it tomorrow.  Yes, I have my GPS and I have always been very good with maps, but I am a visual learner and I do better when I've been to the actual location before I have to go there.  It may seem like a waste of money and time, but I've found this is something that works for me.

lol

I don't think there is one person here who doesn't believe he has mental health issues that he has refused to acknowledge, for the reasons noted by waltermitty in the preceding post, Gustaf.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #890 on: January 29, 2015, 11:23:35 AM »

a stumbled across this old article about former espn personality fred hickman.  apparently he called in sick more than 200 times.  only odf can surpass that number.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2008/12/fred_hickman_highlights_a_rath.html
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #891 on: January 29, 2015, 11:26:21 AM »

I'm going to spend the next little while combing through the company's website preparing for tomorrow's interview.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #892 on: January 29, 2015, 11:54:34 AM »

I have to break my brief silence.  Today was a more successful day in the job search arena.  I scored an CAD interview at a company in West Tulsa.  I have already PM'd a couple of Update regulars to get their thoughts.  I will say this that it is a contract-to-hire position and at least $15 an hour.  It's about 17-18 miles from my apartment completely on the west side of Tulsa, but I am used to driving 32 miles one way in OKC, so 18 is nothing. Smiley

Things certainly are spread out in Oklahoma. I had a roughly 40-mile round trip when I worked in Manhattan but lived in the country outside of a small town physically separate from Manhattan.

In Kansas City, I have a 24-mile round trip per day ... and cutting down a few miles during the commute and on weekends has made a big difference. Thirty-two miles one way seems excessive, though I suppose you were working and living where you could.

I didn't mention this in my PM, but I'd consider that distance in your decision. Thirty-six miles per day, or 180 per week, would have you praising low gas prices.

32 miles to work isn't that big of a deal.  I pretty much did that when I was working in the Financial District in Manhattan.  With that being said, other than driving to the train station (which was 10 minutes max) virtually all of it was on the LIRR and Subway (walking a few blocks to my office form the Chambers Street station).  It still was about $300 for month between the LIRR ticket and Metrocard.

Now I work about 14 miles from where I live (11 if I avoid the Parkways)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #893 on: January 29, 2015, 01:05:24 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2015, 01:06:59 PM by memphis »

It isn't so much about the distance of commute as it is the time it takes to complete it. At least people in New York have the excuse that they can't afford to live closer in. Not that having a long commute there isn't a terrible way to live also, but in a town like Tulsa or Memphis, it makes no sense at all, especially for somebody who doesn't have to worry about public school district boundaries. Anything more than 15 minutes is just self-imposed sadism.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #894 on: January 29, 2015, 02:07:49 PM »

It isn't so much about the distance of commute as it is the time it takes to complete it. At least people in New York have the excuse that they can't afford to live closer in. Not that having a long commute there isn't a terrible way to live also, but in a town like Tulsa or Memphis, it makes no sense at all, especially for somebody who doesn't have to worry about public school district boundaries. Anything more than 15 minutes is just self-imposed sadism.

When we moved to Kansas City, we looked at housing that was closer for either me or my partner for where we need to be during the day. He has a five-block commute while I've got a 12-mile drive. But location and proximity was certainly a consideration when we were moving here.

Jeff, if you find a job in Tulsa, would you consider allowing your lease to run out and finding an apartment closer to work when the time is right?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #895 on: January 29, 2015, 02:36:00 PM »

Jeff, if you find a job in Tulsa, would you consider allowing your lease to run out and finding an apartment closer to work when the time is right?

No, because it's not an original idea. At this point you should realize that if Jeff doesn't feel like he thought of something organically, he does not do it.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #896 on: January 29, 2015, 03:08:55 PM »

bushie did you vote for inhofe?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #897 on: January 29, 2015, 03:40:07 PM »

When we moved to Kansas City, we looked at housing that was closer for either me or my partner for where we need to be during the day. He has a five-block commute while I've got a 12-mile drive. But location and proximity was certainly a consideration when we were moving here.

Meh, Tulsa's a compact enough city that 18 miles is about as high as it would go.  Mind you, I'm going from the far east end of town to the far west end of town.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #898 on: January 29, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »

Nope.  Never have, never will.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #899 on: January 29, 2015, 04:20:33 PM »

Are you watching the NFL Network daily, or the pedestrian ESPN?
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 78  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies