Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:16:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19
Poll
Question: Will Bushie break 300 pounds before the end of February?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Update XX: A Darn Good Judge of My Financial Situation  (Read 208300 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« on: January 14, 2015, 09:08:54 PM »

Bushie,  the fact you fail to admit your life is in shambles, is part of the  reason you are in your current situation

Again, have I ever said things are perfect?  There's nothing wrong with looking at the bright side of life.  Things could be much better, but they could also be way worse.  I will say again, I have nothing to be ashamed of right now.  I have nothing to worry about.  If God be for me, who can be against me?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 09:39:48 PM »

Bushie,  the fact you fail to admit your life is in shambles, is part of the  reason you are in your current situation

Again, have I ever said things are perfect?  There's nothing wrong with looking at the bright side of life.  Things could be much better, but they could also be way worse.  I will say again, I have nothing to be ashamed of right now.  I have nothing to worry about.  If God be for me, who can be against me?

I honestly have to ask you, what do you consider "things are going bad?" Your parents being eating by wolves?

Among white American 30-39 yr old males born to middle class households, I'd say your quality of life is about 5th percentile.  Most of the people below you have terminal cancer and heroin addictions. Actually, some heroin addicts probably are above you.

Do you ever want to find love? Do you ever want to be not only independent of your parents but pay to buy them nice things? Do you ever want to feel healthy and not plagued with constant aches and pains?

It's all a matter of perception.  You cannot subjectively peg my life into a percentile and expect me to agree with it.  Life is not great, but it sure as heck not bad.  I am just a normal human being who happens to be unemployed at the present time due to no fault of his own.  I'm no better than that and no worse than that.  There's no other way to put it.  You can't make it look better than what it is and you can't make it look worse than what it is.

Smash, my life is not in shambles, but that doesn't mean I am content to leave it where it's at.  God loves me just I am, but loves me too much to leave me where I am.  He wants to see me reach my full potential and that's something I want, as well.  My faith has everything to do with it.  I can't do anything on my own.  I need His strength and guidance to carry me on, because without Him, my life would definitely be in shambles.  You ask me how I can say my life is not in shambles?  My answer is because God is in my life.  He makes everything new.  Don't judge me yet, He's still working on me.  Again, things could be much better than where they are now and I want to get there, but at the same time I cannot be ashamed with where my life is at right now at 8:45 pm CST Wednesday, January 14, 2015.  With God's help, I'll get there.  Without His help, I won't.  Simple as that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:51:15 PM »

I just spent the past 45 minutes applying for an entry-level AutoCAD Draftsman position.  It seemed longer than that, but it was only 45 minutes or so.  So far, that's two applications and a job fair.  My best friend at church, though, is going to send out a mass text tomorrow asking if anyone knows of any CAD jobs here in the Oklahoma City area.  I will be looking in Tulsa and he will be looking for me in Oklahoma City.  Tomorrow, I'm going to get the staffing agencies in Tulsa re-activated.  So, don't think I'm just sitting here idle.  I'm actively looking for a job even though it is late on a Wednesday night.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 11:08:08 PM »

I honestly have to ask you, what do you consider "things are going bad?" Your parents being eating by wolves?

Among white American 30-39 yr old males born to middle class households, I'd say your quality of life is about 5th percentile.  Most of the people below you have terminal cancer and heroin addictions. Actually, some heroin addicts probably are above you.

Do you ever want to find love? Do you ever want to be not only independent of your parents but pay to buy them nice things? Do you ever want to feel healthy and not plagued with constant aches and pains?

It's all a matter of perception.  You cannot subjectively peg my life into a percentile and expect me to agree with it.  Life is not great, but it sure as heck not bad.  I am just a normal human being who happens to be unemployed at the present time due to no fault of his own.  I'm no better than that and no worse than that.  There's no other way to put it.  You can't make it look better than what it is and you can't make it look worse than what it is.

Smash, my life is not in shambles, but that doesn't mean I am content to leave it where it's at.  God loves me just I am, but loves me too much to leave me where I am.  He wants to see me reach my full potential and that's something I want, as well.  My faith has everything to do with it.  I can't do anything on my own.  I need His strength and guidance to carry me on, because without Him, my life would definitely be in shambles.  You ask me how I can say my life is not in shambles?  My answer is because God is in my life.  He makes everything new.  Don't judge me yet, He's still working on me.  Again, things could be much better than where they are now and I want to get there, but at the same time I cannot be ashamed with where my life is at right now at 8:45 pm CST Wednesday, January 14, 2015.  With God's help, I'll get there.  Without His help, I won't.  Simple as that.

The above is basicaally your problem in a nutshell.  God isn't going to do it for you, and yes your life is absolutely in shambles.  You can get out of it, but you need to do it YOURSELF, not God, but YOURSELF.

Nonsense.  I can do nothing without God.   Do not dismiss my faith as irrelevant.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:03:16 AM »

If God be for me, who can be against me?

Hmm.  Romans, right?

Well the facts indicate that for 20 seasons of Update that God is not for you.

That's a matter of interpretation, I guess.

I'm going to try to shift the conversation from the life in ruins talk to the actual job search.  It is true that they are both related, but I posted an update toward this new conversation topic last night, but everyone was too busy trying in vain to convince me my life is in shambles.  I'll share it again so it might gain some traction.  I applied for two jobs yesterday, both are drafting positions, of course, and they're both in Tulsa.  Also, one of my best friends at church is going to send out a mass text today to about 30 guys to see if anybody knows of any CAD jobs here in Oklahoma City that I might be qualified for.  I've got that "grassroots" effort in OKC now, and I've got those two applications in in Tulsa and a job fair next Thursday.  I'm going to spend the bulk of the day today job searching.  I'm going to try not to take a nap and I will keep my phone's volume up.  I'm also going to call the staffing agencies in Tulsa that I've applied with before and get them started looking.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 03:17:25 PM »

Bushie, what about our suggestion to start ubering?

I'll take a look at it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 04:21:55 PM »

unfortunately without facial book access there's no way of knowing if the nap was a full six hours, or only four.

He is probably happy he doesn't have work interfering with napping

I've been job searching most of the day and doing a few other things in between the job search 'episodes'.  I haven't been napping today.  To be honest, though, I would rather have been working, but I didn't get that choice.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 05:37:43 PM »

Wouldn't Uber-ing give him an excuse (in his mind) to buy a new car? Might want to proceed with caution.

Good point.  Anyway, I browsed the website that J-Mann provided, but I think I'll pass on this possibility.  I appreciate the thought, but I'll just stick with what I know best - CAD.  I've now got three applications in the cooker plus a job fair, archaic or not, next Thursday.  Plus, I've got a bunch of men looking down here in Oklahoma City.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 05:51:22 PM »

You all might, I repeat might, be proud of me:  My church friend (the one I went bowling with Thanksgiving weekend), knows I am looking for a job, so he sent me a Facebook post for an AT&T call center job fair this Saturday in NW Oklahoma City.  I laughed and moved on back to my CAD searching.  I gave it no consideration whatsoever.  I don't even remember the address except the street it was on.  I thank him for thinking of me, but I am done with call centers.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 06:11:03 PM »

Wouldn't Uber-ing give him an excuse (in his mind) to buy a new car? Might want to proceed with caution.

Good point.  Anyway, I browsed the website that J-Mann provided, but I think I'll pass on this possibility.  I appreciate the thought, but I'll just stick with what I know best - CAD.  I've now got three applications in the cooker plus a job fair, archaic or not, next Thursday.  Plus, I've got a bunch of men looking down here in Oklahoma City.

Not on Uber specifically, but glad to see that my advice about keeping your options open and looking into more than just CADD was swiftly ignored...

I'm going to look into what else the job fair has to offer that are not customer service or sales jobs.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 06:23:49 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2015, 06:53:27 PM by 2015 Bushie »

I've already applied to job 2, and I will apply to job 1.

EDIT:  I just applied for these positions and this brings my total number of applications to 4.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 08:20:20 PM »

So, here's the situation:  I have two nights left at Grandma's and then starting Saturday night, I will spend 11 of the next 12 nights at my parents'.  I plan to go back to Tulsa to stay on Thursday, January 29, 2015.  I will be up in Tulsa this coming Wednesday night, January 21 for the job fair Thursday morning.  I will be back in Tulsa briefly Saturday afternoon/evening for a Sunday School Fellowship in East Tulsa.  I will go up that morning and come back after the fellowship and then go up to stay the next Thursday.  There is a chance it could be Wednesday, January 28.  I will, of course, job search all during the time I'm still down here and will not hesitate to go back to Tulsa for an interview.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 08:49:32 PM »

So, here's the situation:  I have two nights left at Grandma's and then starting Saturday night, I will spend 11 of the next 12 nights at my parents'.  I plan to go back to Tulsa to stay on Thursday, January 29, 2015.  I will be up in Tulsa this coming Wednesday night, January 21 for the job fair Thursday morning.  I will be back in Tulsa briefly Saturday afternoon/evening for a Sunday School Fellowship in East Tulsa.  I will go up that morning and come back after the fellowship and then go up to stay the next Thursday.  There is a chance it could be Wednesday, January 28.  I will, of course, job search all during the time I'm still down here and will not hesitate to go back to Tulsa for an interview.

Why are you spending so many nights at your parents' place, given that you no longer have a job in the OKC area to go to each day?  I thought you wanted to stay in Tulsa?  So then, why aren't you now spending most of your nights in that Tulsa apartment?

We have company coming in on Tuesday who will spend eight days.  I don't want to miss them, so I'll stay with Mom and Dad until they leave.  In other words:  I'm not being given much of a choice...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 09:15:11 PM »

Why are you spending so many nights at your parents' place, given that you no longer have a job in the OKC area to go to each day?  I thought you wanted to stay in Tulsa?  So then, why aren't you now spending most of your nights in that Tulsa apartment?

We have company coming in on Tuesday who will spend eight days.  I don't want to miss them, so I'll stay with Mom and Dad until they leave.  In other words:  I'm not being given much of a choice…

You're being held at gunpoint or something?  Or maybe your parents are threatening to cut you off if you don't entertain the guests?

Wrong. More elaborate free meals are being prepared during the company's (oddly long) stay, so it only makes sense that he would stay to take advantage of the meal situation.

While I do want the family time and the delicious meals, I also don't want to do it night after night for a week.  However, my grandmother is from the old school thought that life stops whenever company comes in.  It doesn't matter that this particular set of family (Grandma's elder daughter and son-in-law) come visit 4-5 times a year.  I'm glad they come as often as they do, but I don't like having to eat with them night after night during their stay.  I have a life and I like to live my life.  Then again, her meals are better than Braum's or Pizza every night.  At least her meals involve meat, vegetables, green salad, and iced tea.  Our first dinner of this round is Wednesday night right before I drive two hours to Tulsa to get ready for the job fair.  Unfortunately, I have to leave Tulsa right after the job fair so we can have dinner Thursday night.  I'm hoping for some interviews to give me an excuse to come back up to Tulsa early...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 09:35:41 PM »

While I do want the family time and the delicious meals, I also don't want to do it night after night for a week.  However, my grandmother is from the old school thought that life stops whenever company comes in.  It doesn't matter that this particular set of family (Grandma's elder daughter and son-in-law) come visit 4-5 times a year.  I'm glad they come as often as they do, but I don't like having to eat with them night after night during their stay.  I have a life and I like to live my life.

You're legally an adult, and there's nothing stopping you from putting your foot down and not going along with this.  4-5 times a year for about a week each time is pretty ridiculous.

What I'm thinking about doing is staying with Mom and Dad for a week, but then going up to Tulsa and staying there starting Sunday night, January 25.  I do want to see the family, but I don't need to see them 8 days in a row.  My mother will understand because I am trying to find a job and get myself out from their checkbook and get Dad's retirement back on track. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 10:25:11 PM »

Talking of which, what have you been eating lately? Still doing the turkey wraps/carrots etc? Have there been any Big Mac Attacks?

To be honest, I haven't been eating well at all.  We've settled for Braum's and Little Caesar's Pizza way too often.  I've kept up with the carrots, but not so much the turkey wraps.  Now that I don't have a job, who knows what lunches will look like and if they will even happen.  I am going to try my best to eat all three meals everyday, but we'll see.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 10:29:11 PM »

Ha. A 32 year old is afraid to defy his parents on not staying around.

I'm not afraid to defy them, I just hate disappointing people.  To me, there is nothing more deflating and gut-wrenching than seeing the disappointment on a face that I love because of something I've done.  I have been accused by peers of being too nice of a guy.  I would rather let myself be a door mat than cause any kind of ripple in the waters.  I very rarely stand up for myself, to anyone.  When I do, I feel like the douchebag.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 10:47:33 PM »

If the family expects you to stick around for EIGHT DAYS to see relatives that you see four or five times a year, they're being selfish. If that's really how you feel, see them for a day or two and then leave. In all likelihood, they'll think more of you if you are trying to make it on your own. They're probably having private conversations like, "Can you believe that Jeff is STILL at home? What is he doing with his life? If that were me, I would be out looking for jobs or living my life and not mooching off the family."

You'll never know, because they'll be super-polite to your face and give you the impression they'd be hurt if you didn't stick around for their week-and-a-half visit.

Cut the cord, Jeff. Trust me, the family will be OK.

The only thing that will keep me around until January 25 is I have committed to teaching Sunday School at church the next two Sundays.  I want to honor that commitment, as it would be hard for them to find someone else to teach them so quickly.  After that morning service, I have no more 'obligations'.  I am thinking going back to Tulsa on the afternoon of January 25 is looking better and better.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 10:57:17 PM »

I have applied for a couple more jobs tonight.  I am up to 6 applications and 1 job fair as of 2200 this evening.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 11:55:40 PM »

If the family expects you to stick around for EIGHT DAYS to see relatives that you see four or five times a year, they're being selfish. If that's really how you feel, see them for a day or two and then leave. In all likelihood, they'll think more of you if you are trying to make it on your own. They're probably having private conversations like, "Can you believe that Jeff is STILL at home? What is he doing with his life? If that were me, I would be out looking for jobs or living my life and not mooching off the family."

You'll never know, because they'll be super-polite to your face and give you the impression they'd be hurt if you didn't stick around for their week-and-a-half visit.

The only thing that will keep me around until January 25 is I have committed to teaching Sunday School at church the next two Sundays.  I want to honor that commitment, as it would be hard for them to find someone else to teach them so quickly.  After that morning service, I have no more 'obligations'.  I am thinking going back to Tulsa on the afternoon of January 25 is looking better and better.

So quickly is 10 days from now. There's a Sunday service on the 18th where the preacher can ask if anyone wants to teach Sunday school on the 25th.

If you're not going to work, can you at least perform acts of charity like work at a soup kitchen?

January 25 will be soon enough.  I do want to visit with the family quite a bit and not rush off too soon.  I don't need to stay all 8 days, but I can stay 4 or 5 days.

Are you meaning that I've given up on working?  Have you not been following my application count?  I can still look for a job in Tulsa even though I'm in OKC.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 12:12:32 AM »

So quickly is 10 days from now. There's a Sunday service on the 18th where the preacher can ask if anyone wants to teach Sunday school on the 25th.

If you're not going to work, can you at least perform acts of charity like work at a soup kitchen?

January 25 will be soon enough.  I do want to visit with the family quite a bit and not rush off too soon.  I don't need to stay all 8 days, but I can stay 4 or 5 days.

Are you meaning that I've given up on working?  Have you not been following my application count?  I can still look for a job in Tulsa even though I'm in OKC.

I'm not saying you've given up on working. But it's pretty much guaranteed you will not be employed for the next 10 days.

Oh I see.  You're right, that it's unlikely that I will be working anytime the next ten days.  However, I do have 6 apps in so far, so if I get an interview anytime next week, you bet I'll race up there for that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 10:49:41 AM »

That's quite a typo!  You meant 'naps', of course.

No, I meant applications.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »

Bushie, is your very successful and financially independent brother flying in to Okie to fart around with company for days on end at Mommy and Daddy's house?  Oh wait... Of course he's not, because he's rude and doesn't care if he disappoints all of you.

Idiot...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 10:52:10 AM »

You're being held at gunpoint or something?  Or maybe your parents are threatening to cut you off if you don't entertain the guests?

Yes.

You know good and well that's not what's happening.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 11:00:38 AM »

I'm at 291 currently.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 19  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies