Do you salt and pepper your food at the table?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:12:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you salt and pepper your food at the table?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
Always

Occasionally

Never

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Do you salt and pepper your food at the table?  (Read 1414 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2015, 08:08:08 PM »

My dad is a big salt and pepperer at the table even if the food has been carefully prepared so,as to not need more seasoning.

I believe vegetables or potatoes with simple preparation need it... Or things like eggs or hash browns.  But generally I taste the food first.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 08:12:27 PM »

Depends on the food.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 08:16:17 PM »

Sometimes salt if it needs salt (like if I get unsalted fries...) but never pepper, I find that weird.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 08:22:42 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2015, 08:24:13 PM by memphis »

No need for salt. I either cook food myself, in which case I've already salted it, or if I eat out, the food is always very well salted. If anything, restaurant food frequently arrives with too much salt. I don't care much for black pepper, but I will sometimes add cayenne at home if I want to add a bit of heat. Depends on the dish obviously.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 08:29:19 PM »

No but I use Sriracha, Cholula, or crushed red flakes on everything. That's a similar addiction.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 08:36:45 PM »

Occasionally. Depends on what the meal is and which one of my parents prepared it. My mom's cooking usually requires salt and/or pepper, whereas my dad's doesn't.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 12:07:29 AM »

Never, I've always put enough in the cooking.  And I love plenty of both.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 09:55:05 AM »

Sometimes.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »

Both.  Mrs. Grumps is very sensitive to sodium (weird for a small girl like herself) and isn't a giant pepper fan.  If I can make two preparations, one for her and one for me, no, I don't salt and pepper as I'll season while cooking.  If it's all the same pan, pot, etc........I have to salt and pepper to get the flavor up.

And like my friend King, I love red pepper flakes on veggies.........love them.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 04:24:08 PM »

No salt, ever, at the table. For pepper I use cayenne, and I do sprinkle just a little on my food. It's hot, but there are a lot of health benefits to using it.

No need for salt. I either cook food myself, in which case I've already salted it, or if I eat out, the food is always very well salted. If anything, restaurant food frequently arrives with too much salt. I don't care much for black pepper, but I will sometimes add cayenne at home if I want to add a bit of heat. Depends on the dish obviously.

Same with me exactly.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 04:58:11 PM »

Not normally. It seems like a lot of places around here are taking the salt and pepper off the table now, which is fine. I am on a new cool diet since New Years day, so it's a good thing in my book.

I prefer using hot sauce on my food anyway.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 05:02:04 PM »

Isn't this basically asking people whether they're keen on high blood pressure and future coronaries?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 05:03:11 PM »

Isn't this basically asking people whether they're keen on high blood pressure and future coronaries?

Sure, but it is still a highly popular combo.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 05:08:06 PM »

Food almost always has enough salt, if not too much. I never need to put any more on.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 09:18:12 AM »

Depends on the food.

High blood pressure, maybe.  But salt does not clog arteries (and neither does fat, for that matter.)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 10:11:17 AM »

yes
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 10:15:27 AM »

Never at home.  Frequently at restaurants, although we rarely eat at restaurants.  Pepper more than salt, of course, and red pepper, when available, more than black pepper.  At home we prepare our food to be delicious the moment it is put upon the table for serving.  Voted occasionally.  

Anyone else find occasionally an exceptionally difficult word to spell?  It's one of about seven words that always yields a squiggly red line for me when I first type it.  Not sure why I have a mental block about spelling certain words, but apparently I do, and apparently occasionally is one of them.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 10:26:54 AM »

Never at home.  Frequently at restaurants, although we rarely eat at restaurants.  Pepper more than salt, of course, and red pepper, when available, more than black pepper.  At home we prepare our food to be delicious the moment it is put upon the table for serving.  Voted occasionally.  

Anyone else find occasionally an exceptionally difficult word to spell?  It's one of about seven words that always yields a squiggly red line for me when I first type it.  Not sure why I have a mental block about spelling certain words, but apparently I do, and apparently occasionally is one of them.

I'd love to have one of Mrs. angus' home cooked meals.  They sound wonderful from what you've described before.......now I'm hungry you prick.  Tongue
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 10:50:44 AM »

She just got back last night.  Three weeks.  Her father had a heart attack about a month ago and she went to stay with them to help him recover.  Not that she could do much, but I encouraged her to go because I knew she would regret it if he died.  He's walking now, slowly.  He'll survive this one, but he's 74 so I'm not sure how much longer. 

Unfortunately she had a meeting at 10AM and will likely be in her office all day.  I'd hate to be 12 time zones out of whack and have to attend a meeting 12 hours after I got back, but she'll have a three-day weekend to rest up before the gauntlet begins.  Anyway, I think my son and I will probably do the cooking tonight, but I haven't figured out what to cook yet. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 10:54:23 AM »

She just got back last night.  Three weeks.  Her father had a heart attack about a month ago and she went to stay with them to help him recover.  Not that she could do much, but I encouraged her to go because I knew she would regret it if he died.  He's walking now, slowly.  He'll survive this one, but he's 74 so I'm not sure how much longer. 

Unfortunately she had a meeting at 10AM and will likely be in her office all day.  I'd hate to be 12 time zones out of whack and have to attend a meeting 12 hours after I got back, but she'll have a three-day weekend to rest up before the gauntlet begins.  Anyway, I think my son and I will probably do the cooking tonight, but I haven't figured out what to cook yet. 

My very best to Mrs. angus and her family.  Been through that last year and he didn't survive it.  Ugh.  I'm sure the boy's a helluva cook.  Open some wine and supervise.  Smiley
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 11:12:13 AM »

I used to not see the point, but after learning to cook a bit I understand the need to now. Salt and pepper seasoning should only really need to happen during cooking though unless the food is specifically bland to allow self-seasoning.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 12:13:55 PM »

Not too often, the only food I'll put salt on by default, if there's none on there, is chips/fries. Otherwise, I taste my food first, then put some pepper on if I think it needs it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies