What's the best paying job that only requires a 40 hour work week?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:40:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's the best paying job that only requires a 40 hour work week?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What's the best paying job that only requires a 40 hour work week?  (Read 568 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2015, 12:37:48 AM »

Something that came to me is even salaried workers with really high paying jobs don't exactly get free from OT. We all know doctors, lawyers and CEOs and don't work 40 hour weeks typically.

From what I've gathered, the answer is probably certain IT jobs, especially if done for the government. Even more awesome about them is you often only have to actually work ~25% of the time you're clocked in as well quite frequently.
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 12:39:01 AM »

Non-director government jobs.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 08:49:49 PM »

Construction work during the summers while I was in college. I make more now, but its also a 40hr+ week.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 08:54:02 PM »

From what I've gathered, the answer is probably certain IT jobs, especially if done for the government. Even more awesome about them is you often only have to actually work ~25% of the time you're clocked in as well quite frequently.

You can make far more money doing corporate work than you can with the government, at least in that field.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2015, 09:20:58 PM by patrick1 »

Something that came to me is even salaried workers with really high paying jobs don't exactly get free from OT. We all know doctors, lawyers and CEOs and don't work 40 hour weeks typically.

Govt worker here, I certainly dont work just 40 hours even though that is the standard work week.  I still get overtime but it is flat pay since I am at a high GS level. The 28.72% locality pay helps, but cost of living is still probably even more than that.

Ive found so many IT positions are contracted out by the gov't,  The IT jobs that do exist dont seem to be particularly high paid.

*It should be noted also that, at least at my agency, you dont have carte blanche for overtime. You need justification and it is scrutinized.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 09:55:58 PM »

I'm pretty sure professional athletes work well less than 40 hours per week. It would be counterproductive to be in the gym or on the practice field for 5 hours before a 3-hour evening game; you'd just be exhausted for the game. And of course major-league athletes are among the best-paid workers in any field.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 05:30:08 PM »

I'm pretty sure professional athletes work well less than 40 hours per week. It would be counterproductive to be in the gym or on the practice field for 5 hours before a 3-hour evening game; you'd just be exhausted for the game. And of course major-league athletes are among the best-paid workers in any field.

What about appearances, travel, watching film etc?
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »

What about appearances, travel, watching film etc?

Yeah, I was going to point out that football players at least have to do a lot of meetings and watching film; there are plenty of obligations to the team that extend beyond game time and even gym time.  I don't know how much the film stuff applies to other sports but I assume there's some of it there as well.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 06:29:20 PM »

Well, maybe I'm wrong, if you count all that stuff. It's not like I have first-hand experience of course.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 10:49:01 PM »

Actually yeah, doctors in purely "luxury" fields probably do work only 40 hours if even that. Plastic surgeons might also be a possibility.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 11:05:17 PM »

I really only focused on like normal people jobs.  High end fashion models seem to make a lot of coin per hour if anecdotes are any indication.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies