So I'm back.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:04:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  So I'm back.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: So I'm back.  (Read 2561 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2015, 10:53:05 PM »

(I've forgotten if this is in the right subforum or not, please move it if not).

Anyway, remember me? The liberal Mormon from Utah who went on a mission? Well, I'm back for medical reasons.

Where was this mission exactly?

And best of luck on being able to return

Never knew one could be a mission to the FHL in Salt Lake City, or is this just part of one of those Salt Lake City missions?

The mission I was on was the Family and Church History Headquarters mission, which is stationed in Salt Lake City, and is unique for being one of the few missions that aren't proselyting missions. Instead, we basically help people with their family history/genealogy in one way or another. For example, for about half of my mission, I was in the Access Services zone, which helped people find resources in the library, whether a book or on the computer. I did NOT help with actually helping them find their ancestors (that was the research missionaries jobs). Basically I was a librarian. There were other missionaries who worked at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building or the Granite Mountain Records Vault in digitizing and formatting records, and others who gave online support, etc. Some of the elderly missionaries (we have young and old missionaries on the mission) provided employment support for church members across the world, oversaw church properties, and other things like that.

There are also standard "knock on doors" missions in Salt Lake, since Salt Lake City is less than 40% Mormon at this point.

Oh, and all I'm going to say about my medical issues is that it was serious enough that I've gone home, but not serious enough to endanger my life.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 03:20:09 AM »

Wow, welcome back! I just found this thread now for some reason. I hope you're feeling well and I'm glad you've stopped back in.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2015, 09:19:58 AM »

So if that was your job why was there no Internet access? That sounds more like a college internship thing, and in one location rather than standard missionary work, so getting Internet access should be easy.

But anyway welcome back.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2015, 01:21:15 PM »

So if that was your job why was there no Internet access? That sounds more like a college internship thing, and in one location rather than standard missionary work, so getting Internet access should be easy.

But anyway welcome back.

Now that I've returned, I'd say it's more restricted Internet access (only a couple of sites were permitted, and news sites were specifically disallowed, though they weren't very good at enforcing any restrictions).

When I said "no internet access" I wasn't quite sure what the mission entailed.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies