Do child poors get birthday parties?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:47:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do child poors get birthday parties?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Do child poors get birthday parties?  (Read 8062 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2015, 10:12:14 AM »

Just wondering this.  I remember myself and all my white suburban friends getting extravaganzas for like every birthday through age 10.  Thinking back, it truly does seem to be a very white and suburban thing. 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:39:10 AM »

Based admittedly on anecdotal evidence, usually yes. Even lower-income parents are willing to do that for their children.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 11:46:26 AM »

Poor kids probably don't get extravganzas though. I remember when I was in about 3rd or 4th grade, I was invited to a bday party for a [whatever is the politically correct term du jure for poor black] girl from my class. We were in the back yard with the rap music. It was the first time I heard Baby Got Back, which is such an awfully stereotypical thing, but I swear it is true. And, of course, lots of cake, greasy food, etc. I remember being vaguely horrified that we were expected to share sodas, as we had been instructed at school not to do so for health reasons, but whatever. It was just as fun as the Chuck E Cheese sorts of parties I had.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 12:25:39 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 12:31:03 PM »

Yes, but they go to the park or have it in their backyard instead of renting out the lazer tag for a day.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »

If it makes you feel better, Al The Pessimist, I wish I could go back in time and ask my parents to NOT throw me parties for such meaningless crap.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 01:11:02 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2015, 01:23:54 PM by Northeast Member of Assembly Vapaus »

I think people of all classes have birthday parties for their young children. (Unless the parents are simply devoid of class). It need not be expensive. I remember having backyard birthday parties when I was very young, the most expensive thing being the Barney the Dinosaur character. I don't think Chuck E. Cheese or Laser Tag is that expensive either. (Unfortunately I don't think I ever had my own birthday party in either venue, although others' birthdays)

What is truly obscene are the "Sweet Sixteen" parties held for rich girls turning 16. I've heard of Wall Street bankers spending six figures on dream fantasy "Sweet Sixteen" parties for their daughters. "Sweet Sixteen" is something that needs to be abolished.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 01:15:11 PM »

I think people of all classes have birthday parties for their young children. (Unless the parents are simply devoid of class). It need not be expensive. I remember having backyard birthday parties when I was very young, the most expensive thing being the Barney the Dinosaur character. I don't think Chuck E. Cheese or Laser Tag is that expensive either. (Unfortunately I don't think

What is truly obscene are the "Sweet Sixteen" parties held for rich girls turning 16. I've heard of Wall Street bankers spending six figures on dream fantasy "Sweet Sixteen" parties for their daughters. "Sweet Sixteen" is something that needs to be abolished.

Yea, the ol' guillotine is the correct response to things like that.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 02:51:41 PM »

I think people of all classes have birthday parties for their young children. (Unless the parents are simply devoid of class). It need not be expensive. I remember having backyard birthday parties when I was very young, the most expensive thing being the Barney the Dinosaur character. I don't think Chuck E. Cheese or Laser Tag is that expensive either. (Unfortunately I don't think I ever had my own birthday party in either venue, although others' birthdays)

You know that something is obscene when Libertas finds it so.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 02:52:51 PM »

Sad Sad Sad Sad
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 03:02:20 PM »

I grew up in an upper middle-class suburban area and almost no boys had birthday parties after age 12 or so (or if they did, they certainly weren't facilitated by their parents). Only popular girls did that.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 03:08:02 PM »

I never had more than an 8-10 people in the backyard type of thing, but that kind of comes with having a summer birthday I guess. In a more urban area, I could easily see this being switched to park. It doesn't seem like much effort so long as there are parents who care whatsoever - just have like 3 sports balls and a cake and pizza.

I guess in the winter, I sort of remember laser tag, but that's as extravagant as a non-Sweet Sixteen gets. I know a few people who had rented places for Sweet Sixteens, but even that small percentage I wouldn't classify as extravagant - perhaps just one. (Bar Mitzvah's were much more common.) Anything topping a couple thousand dollars is majorly horrible though. I don't think having a semi-big party for a Sweet 16/Bar/Bat Mitzvah is that awful as its a major part of the culture but show some decency. Quinceanera's seem to be even more ubiquitous as those are a major cultural event, but they also should obviously never exceed anything. I imagine those are especially important regardless of wealth class.

As long as specialty parties aren't entering the extravaganza-level that Libertas brings up, then it's fine. Thankfully, I've never met anyone like that in my childhood.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 06:21:24 PM »

Sweet sixteens are very suburban upper-middle class, yes, and often are very vulgar. Debutante balls, on the other hand...
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 06:27:41 PM »

Yes, poor people occasionally act like normal humans.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 11:07:36 PM »

Yes, poor people occasionally act like normal humans.

That's not what I was asking.  I was asking if birthday parties are truly "normal".
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 02:07:43 AM »

Yes, they do.  Usually something relatively special.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 02:40:54 AM »

Well... the people I know who go to a LOT of trouble for their kid's birthdays aren't exactly rolling in it.

Mind you, there's a clear difference... people who make big deals of 1st/2nd birthdays are just finding an excuse to have a party for themselves. Then as kids get older, it comes down to personality. I know, I had a big party at 7... and didn't do another one until 19... it was always small parties with 6-10 people, in a backyard, but not every year.

Sweet sixteens are very suburban upper-middle class, yes, and often are very vulgar. Debutante balls, on the other hand...

Debutante balls are monumentally creepy....
Panda Express

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 02:50:55 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2015, 08:39:31 AM by Vox Populi »

Yeah, but a birthday party for a poor kid is usually just people rolling around in the mud.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 04:54:43 AM »

Sometimes the Atlas Forum is like Mitt Romney minus the money.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 05:20:10 AM »

No, they are too busy sweeping the chimneys of the local manor and heading down coal mines to celebrate such frippery.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 09:22:10 AM »

This, but I think sweet sixteen birthday parties are common across all classes.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 10:55:54 AM »

Debutante balls are monumentally creepy....

I don't know what they're like over there but I've been to both deb balls (well, one) and sweet sixteens, and I would not use such phrasing to describe the former. Googling for "debutante ball australia", however, is not encouraging:

Excuse me while I go vomit.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 12:00:02 PM »

No, they are too busy sweeping the chimneys of the local manor and heading down coal mines to celebrate such frippery.

100 years ago that's most likely very accurate in your neck of the woods.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 08:06:50 PM »

How is it that England managed to go from depressing to charming while losing their empire in the process?

I guess parts of their former empire migrated to England and livened things up a bit.  Too much England is like slightly too much salt.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 08:21:18 PM »

This thread is really remarkably embarrassing.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies