Do child poors get birthday parties?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:54:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do child poors get birthday parties?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Do child poors get birthday parties?  (Read 8097 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2015, 02:02:28 AM »

The last time I got spanked was when I was five and I very thoroughly convinced them it did't work.

Defiance is good.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2015, 06:54:41 AM »

Threatened with the wooden spoon, the actual act was never required Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2015, 08:10:09 AM »

Just wondering this.  I remember myself and all my Asian suburban friends getting slapped for our infelicities through age 10.  Thinking back, it truly does seem to be a very Asian and suburban thing.

Oh no, it's something that happens to me too. Perfectly normal. Maybe the fact white people don't get hit explains certain things.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2015, 10:09:46 AM »

There is an excellent summary on this from Russell Peters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CpKKQrhqkw
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2015, 10:30:11 AM »

Somehow, this thread is even more disturbing now than it was when HockeyDude created it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2015, 04:28:41 PM »

Just wondering this.  I remember myself and all my Asian suburban friends getting slapped for our infelicities through age 10.  Thinking back, it truly does seem to be a very Asian and suburban thing.

Oh no, it's something that happens to me too. Perfectly normal. Maybe the fact white people don't get hit explains certain things.

White kids often do get hit in the South, depending on parents' education/religion/etc.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2015, 04:40:32 PM »

White kids often do get hit in the South, depending on parents' education/religion/etc.

Well, it's good to know there is some dichotomy with Southern whites.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! *SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-MACK!*
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2015, 11:44:42 AM »

Haha yes!

"Be a man!"
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2015, 11:52:49 PM »

A more notable distinction might be between the sort of households that you're discussing and households in which corporal punishment is practiced and the kids eventually hit back. The latter was the case for many of the predominately white and blue collar kids around whom I grew up.

Oh dear God. Yes, that would be a astronomically important distinction to make.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2015, 04:28:58 AM »

My parents never hit me (normal, white, lower-middle-class, etc.).
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2015, 05:14:44 PM »

My stepdad hit me but I don't think that was normal for people in my neighborhood, he was just a violent man. Finally when I was 16 and had been working out I just snapped and beat the sh**t out of him. He never hit me again and we've never discussed it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2015, 05:51:06 PM »

A more notable distinction might be between the sort of households that you're discussing and households in which corporal punishment is practiced and the kids eventually hit back. The latter was the case for many of the predominately white and blue collar kids around whom I grew up.
I think kids hitting back is what puts a stop to most spanking.  It did in my family when my brother cracked my dad good in the face.

It's inappropriate to beat your pets...but somehow beating children is okay.  They will call it 'respect' but all you've done is perverted respect into an abusive one way relationship of do what I say or I will damage you physically.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2015, 08:45:06 PM »

I never really got birthday parties, but I went to plenty of them and I never really feel like I missed anything. Honestly, not so sure what the big deal is. And no, I'm not poor. And the use of the word "poors" is disgusting.
The term poors has a storied history on this forum.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2015, 09:56:47 PM »

I think kids hitting back is what puts a stop to most spanking.

I can't fathom this.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2015, 01:29:35 AM »

I think kids hitting back is what puts a stop to most spanking.

I can't fathom this.
Then say something like 'i cant fathom hitting you father be ause i love and respect you...but if you *ever* lay a hand on me again ill put you in the hospital and make you rue the day you ever conceived me.'

And if thats not good enough to stop it, you do your best to fulfill your promise.

But white kids see their patents as selfish hypocrites more than as something worth respecting.  If they didnt want us, they had every opportunityto say no.

Such is being raised by American baby boomers.  The 'quit yer damn swearin' and 'do as i say and not as i do' generation.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2015, 12:03:06 AM »

This thread is really remarkably embarrassing.

And it got no better....
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2015, 04:58:20 PM »

Yeah, it certainly was never out of the question when I was growing up.

As for the OP, I don't think it would be right to describe myself as 'poor' in any real sense, but I can remember not having the first few birthday parties I had at our trailer. We had them at my grandmothers' house, and then once we moved into a house (around when I was 6 or so), we had birthday parties there until I was in 3rd grade. I had my 3rd grade birthday party at McDonald's and then stopped having birthday parties. Just had friends over.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies