Do child poors get birthday parties? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:26:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Do child poors get birthday parties? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Do child poors get birthday parties?  (Read 8122 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: January 15, 2015, 11:46:26 AM »

Poor kids probably don't get extravganzas though. I remember when I was in about 3rd or 4th grade, I was invited to a bday party for a [whatever is the politically correct term du jure for poor black] girl from my class. We were in the back yard with the rap music. It was the first time I heard Baby Got Back, which is such an awfully stereotypical thing, but I swear it is true. And, of course, lots of cake, greasy food, etc. I remember being vaguely horrified that we were expected to share sodas, as we had been instructed at school not to do so for health reasons, but whatever. It was just as fun as the Chuck E Cheese sorts of parties I had.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 07:54:53 AM »

Sweet Sixteen is a Yankee custom. It's not a thing here. At all.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 01:42:32 PM »

Don't forget about quinceañeras, which are often quite lavish affairs.
Except that they are not for sixteen year olds. You may as well call a Bar Mitzvah a sweet sixteen party.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 11:04:59 PM »

Don't forget about quinceañeras, which are often quite lavish affairs.
Except that they are not for sixteen year olds. You may as well call a Bar Mitzvah a sweet sixteen party.

... and that one-year difference makes it so totally different and not analagous whatsoever.  And certainly invalidates the relevance these parties have to HockeyDude's original, broader question, too!
Uh, they have things in common, sure,  but if you think that a Quinceñera is just a glammed out Sweet Sixteen party, you don't know jack about them.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 07:58:28 AM »

Snowguy, whenever Garrison Keillor retires, it is imperative that you are the one who replaces him.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies