2015 Academy Awards Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:35:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  2015 Academy Awards Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: 2015 Academy Awards Discussion  (Read 13823 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 01:56:05 AM »

'Oscar nominated Eddie Redmayne' = something that should never be. Americans need to stop cooing over posh British people, it's ingratiating and embarrassing.
It's not just posh British people we Yanks need to stop cooing over.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 02:28:40 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2015, 02:40:14 AM by Eraserhead »

I've really been slacking when it comes to watching stuff this year. That said I'm happy about all of the love for Birdman and Grand Budapest Hotel but disturbed by the lack of nominations for Inherent Vice and especially Nightcrawler.

I haven't even watched Boyhood yet though which apparently is a lock to win BP. Sad. Oh well.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 02:40:48 AM »

I really need to see Boyhood. The length is the main reason I have not yet.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 02:42:01 AM »

I've really been slacking when it comes to watching stuff this year. That said I'm happy about all of the love for Birdman and Grand Budapest Hotel but disturbed by the lack of nominations for Inherent Vice and especially Nightcrawler.

I haven't even watched Boyhood yet though which apparently is a lock to win BP. Sad. Oh well.

Honestly? Boyhood was boring and the acting was pretty mediocre... Take the "it took 12 years to make, with the same cast" narrative away from it ... no one would care.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 02:52:45 AM »

I really need to see Boyhood. The length is the main reason I have not yet.

I watched it on an airplane flying from Los Angeles to Sydney.  You just need a long plane flight, and you can knock out several long movies.  A few years ago, I watched Gone with the Wind on a flight back from China, and probably never would have bothered with a 4 hour movie like that if I hadn't had several hours to kill and nothing else to do.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 03:09:55 AM »

Honestly? Boyhood was boring and the acting was pretty mediocre... Take the "it took 12 years to make, with the same cast" narrative away from it ... no one would care.

I can hold a mirror to that film and my life. Like it was so real, these weren't just characters we saw they were people and I think that's why the film has resonated with so many. I personally adored the film and I know most of my friends did as well.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 04:00:20 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2015, 04:08:06 AM by Lief »

Agree with the above two posters. Boyhood is so good because it's "boring"; it's like watching a documentary or something, it's just so amazingly real. You never feel like you're watching a fictional story. There are no big melodramatic moments, no sudden shocking twists, no cathartic speeches that wrap everything nicely together. Just a bunch of moments from a boy's life, with beautiful acting from Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette. I can't wait to watch it again.

(Gone Girl is still my favorite film of 2014 though.)
Knives
solopop
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 05:32:05 AM »

Agree with the above two posters. Boyhood is so good because it's "boring"; it's like watching a documentary or something, it's just so amazingly real. You never feel like you're watching a fictional story. There are no big melodramatic moments, no sudden shocking twists, no cathartic speeches that wrap everything nicely together. Just a bunch of moments from a boy's life, with beautiful acting from Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette. I can't wait to watch it again.

It did have some moments (mexican guy) that were melodramatic but apart from that it was just so real.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 07:51:56 AM »

I know you were all waiting for Al Sharpton to weigh in on this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/sharpton-lack-diversity-oscar-nominations-insulting-article-1.2079759

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"Potential actions before or during the ceremony"?  Get a grip man.
Knives
solopop
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2015, 08:06:53 AM »

Al Sharpton continues to be insufferable, what's new?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2015, 08:27:11 AM »

Boyhood is very much an American film. If you weren't a child or parent in the 90s/00s United States, you just won't get what the film was really trying to say.
Panda Express

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2015, 08:43:15 AM »

go grand budapest hotel
Knives
solopop
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2015, 09:49:54 AM »

Boyhood is very much an American film. If you weren't a child or parent in the 90s/00s United States, you just won't get what the film was really trying to say.

Yeah it was filmed in America but I wouldn't say it's American per se. Like, alcoholism, absent fathers, single mothers, weed aren't unique to America... 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2015, 09:57:55 AM »

It did have some moments (mexican guy) that were melodramatic but apart from that it was just so real.

Yeah, that scene was the only one that struck me as unrealistic.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2015, 10:03:01 AM »

The scene where the Mexican guy shows up in the restaurant and is like "muchas gracias, white lady" was pretty terrible and was by far the worst scene in an excellent film, yes.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2015, 10:59:52 AM »

Movies are my other great love besides politics. Of the Best Picture nominees, I've only seen Grand Budapest Hotel but I have Boyhood from Netflix, and I think I might see Birdman this afternoon (it just came to a theatre near me).
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2015, 12:06:19 AM »

That's what i'm about, though I'm never sure if you are sarcastic.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2015, 12:34:09 AM »

The Lego Movie wasn't nominated for Best Animated Feature - now there's a snub to get upset about.

Does that even count as animated?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2015, 01:23:30 AM »

Oh Christ... "Boyhood" has become that "OMG, if you didn't like it... you just don't understand x, y, or z" film. It's actually pretty condescending. There are a lot of elements and stories in the film that I related to, believe me. But I do understand why so many are loving this film, I completely do.

There were some decent scenes and I respect the hell out of the film - I just couldn't invest in it and this is the type of film you absolutely have to.

Knives
solopop
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2015, 01:49:13 AM »
« Edited: January 18, 2015, 01:52:52 AM by Solopop »

Oh Christ... "Boyhood" has become that "OMG, if you didn't like it... you just don't understand x, y, or z" film. It's actually pretty condescending. There are a lot of elements and stories in the film that I related to, believe me. But I do understand why so many are loving this film, I completely do.

There were some decent scenes and I respect the hell out of the film - I just couldn't invest in it and this is the type of film you absolutely have to.

ha, I'm sure you got it. It's just quite eclectic. Before Lief and Solo, I never saw a non-critic speak positively about it.

lol ok!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 07:54:39 PM »

Okay, after having seen both Birdman and Theory of Everything in the past 24 hours, Redmayne definitely, definitely deserves to win best actor. Keaton is fine and obviously I like him a lot as an actor, but Redmayne as Hawking is really an amazing performance.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2015, 04:21:38 PM »

Birdman beat out Boyhood at the Producer's Guild awards last night. Very troubling. Birdman is not terrible and I enjoyed it, but Boyhood is just on a totally different level from it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2015, 04:23:20 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2015, 04:39:48 PM by Snowstalker »

I torrented Boyhood. Utterly boring and only going so far because of its gimmick.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2015, 04:55:13 PM »

And the evidence in favor of banning Snowstalker continues to mount.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2015, 09:54:25 PM »

Birdman wins the SAG for best ensemble.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies