Pope Francis on Paris Attack - "one who throws insults can expect a 'punch'" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:39:18 am
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope Francis on Paris Attack - "one who throws insults can expect a 'punch'" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope Francis on Paris Attack - "one who throws insults can expect a 'punch'"  (Read 13296 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
« on: January 16, 2015, 11:02:34 pm »

I truly expect to be put on a lot of ignore lists of posters I otherwise respect for this, but I will say it anyway:

Islamophobia is the height (depths) of cheap populism and political-correctness in Europe right now. There is no quicker way to gain mass popularity in Europe than by playing to the rafters.

Charlie Hebdo was a publication that produced cartoons as witty and subtle, and thought provoking, and insightful, as a Jack Chick tract. Both are scurrilous, but whereas Jack Chick aimed to convert, Charlie Hebdo aimed to demean. Demean whom? Ridiculous, hate-spewing Saudi clerics? -- no. The French Muslims living in the environs of Paris -- yes.

Jack Chick and Charlie Hebdo are both protected by freedom of speech, freedom of belief, and its corollary "freedom to offend". But it is ugly and unfair to imply that anyone who disagrees with the "comedy" or "social value" of Charlie Hebdo and the like has failing reasoning ability or is a bad citizen. People have the right and obligation to refuse demagoguery of that sort.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies